1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets signing Troy Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 9, 2017.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think Williams can help now and has a future in the league as a useful role player. I'd keep Williams and cut Wiljter. Then I'd sign Casspi to a two year cap friendly deal.

2. ballgame

ballgame Member

Anybody know if he's being signed to a 2nd 10 Day or the remainder of the season?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

His 10-Day Contract runs until March 20. We'll see what the Rockets do at that point.

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  4. j@amc

j@amc Member

I would pay to watch Williams play. See his dunk from a flat-footed start at the 54-second mark, and his back-to-back-to-back 3s in the 4th Q at the 1:20 mark. He literally broke open a close game and OKC's D-League team isn't bad. Williams is a match-up athlete that we need if we're facing a Tim Hardaway Jr. type player. He might even be able to stay in front of Danny Green.

Versatile (SG, SF, and some small ball PF featured with the Vipers). Very explosive as a scorer and shooter. Improving defender. Step quicker than Decker. Hope he's up with the big team soon.

Little Bit, DonKnock and RocketsTerps like this.
  5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Hmmm... Nice handles and passing... Ariza fall in a faint!

topfive and DonKnock like this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Interesting playmaking ability. Didn't know he had that passing in his game.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

At that point the Rockets should be signing Casspi. Hopefully.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nice highlight package. I will say this much for Williams, he looks to have a much better basketball "feel" on the court than KJ had. TW looks smooth and in control. I was impressed with his 3pt shooting since that is the part of his game that is probably holding him back. Maybe he could be the next Robert Covington for the Rockets.

Vivi likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the lead pass in the final play was nice....cerebral player

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

kinda reminds me of young parsons

11. anchel

anchel Member

Wow, if he can really defend at NBA level.

12. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

The BBS is extremely lenient on Dekker but he is truly the odd man out of the rotation now that Brewer is gone. It's extremely frustrating also to see his shot stay consistently broken.

I also believe that Montrezl offers something more consistently than Dekker.

At this point, I'm totally down to give a few minutes to Troy Williams here and there. How much worse than Dekker can he be?

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watched him a ton at Indiana. He's got a ton of ability and upside, he just never put it together consistently. He'd have great games and then disapear in others.

If I were the Rockets, I'd try to sign him to a two year non-guaranteed deal to see if he could develop more.

#173 mikol13, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Vivi, TEXNIFICENT, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Spot on. I've wanted the Rox to look at this kid right after he got cut from Memphis. He could be like getting that 1st rounder back we traded to the Lakers.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Memphis had Troy matched up on LeBron and he managed to not get totally torched.

I'm sure Ariza would love to not have to match LeBron's 45 minutes/night if we were to make the finals:)

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Still think the route to go is to cut Brown and bring in both Williams and Casspi. Sign Williams to a 3 year deal, similar to Taylor, and sign Casspi to a 2 year deal with the remaining cap space. Then let Williams, Casspi and Dekker battle it out to get rotation minutes.

Williams looks really good....like someone that might be able to contribute now. He has a gear that no current player on this team has. His playing time will be determined by whether he can defend and hit open 3s.

One thing the Rockets don't have a lot of right now is versatility. If something isn't working, we just keep doing more of it until it turns. It would be nice to have someone besides Ariza that can effectively slide between multiple positions. In the playoffs, if that 3 guard 2nd unit isn't working, we don't really have anything else than to rush Harden back into the game. Williams might be a good "energy" guy that can provide some defense and athleticism when the shots aren't falling.

I'm not saying he would/should get time. If he can't shoot, MDA won't give him even mop up duty. But if he can shoot, he might be an interesting piece.

Little Bit, DonKnock and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@finsraider I have a hard time believing MDA this year will trust someone like Williams in the playoffs. I think it would be more likely MDA would run Ariza into the ground or go with Dekker. That's why I advocated Casspi. Because he is a VET and is someone MDA might trust.

Moving forward, Williams could be an interesting addition, but at this point, I don't see him cracking the rotation unless there are serious problems and they have to break the glass.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Couldn't agree more.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

KJ looked like an athlete who can play basketball.

Williams looks like a basketball player.

Deuce likes this.
  20. ballgame

ballgame Member

He's earned a spot on the 15 man roster! The question is, does MDA give him PT? To me, you have to add him to the 12 man Playoff Roster, due to his ability to guard the 1-4 positions and hit the 3. We don't have anybody else on the roster that can do that, outside of Ariza and if he get's hurt we are in trouble.

I'm AMAZED at his play making ability!!!

DonKnock likes this.