1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

11.3 vs. 8.9

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wizkid83, Mar 13, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I'm also arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point, so I should probably stop :D

2. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

Dammit you beat me to the punch

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm not sure if someone has pointed this out yet, but I'm pretty sure there is an "official" rule for what counts as an assist. The catcher has to score a field goal within two dribbles after catching the pass. So there may not be as much subjectivity in it as you think... that said, I wouldn't at all doubt that there are many which are borderline, and it's within reason that Westbrook (or other players) get more favorable score keeping at home.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The last two ones aren't in doubt whatsoever, you really shouldn't mention them. They didn't change the direction either, a little 45 degree twist in their step or shoulder isn't relevant.

First one is debatable, but let me tell you this: If you question assists on such an absurd level of detail, the assist number in the NBA would be half of what it is and the rules would have to be changed to “immediate fg with no additional movement“.

With your criteria, Harden wouldn't average 10+ apg, don't see you arguing about his numbers.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I posted the Link already, here it is again:
    http://videorulebook.nba.com/rule/assist/

6. wizkid83

Key points:
    • Assist recording has a human subjectivity to it
    • Human stat keepers have shown home bias in the past (see linked articles in earlier post)
    • WB's home and away difference is pretty large in favor of home assist numbers
    • WB's entire argument over Harden for MVP is he that barely crossed an arbitrary threshold, which could be the result of that subjectivity
    Harden's AST numbers could be slightly inflated as well. But if it's Harden at 29/10/8 and 3rd seed vs WB 30/9/10 and 7th seed, would you still hear such a strong chorus of pro WB MVP?

7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Guess you haven't heard? John Wall is da real MVP!

Easy likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Probably not, but like me and others have said: You have shown absolutely zero evidence so far, only one questionable assist in three games.
    I have absolutely no problem with your theory, but it's baseless without evidence and more research.

One very basic and first-step search has shown me that the team shoots 47 fg% at home vs 43.3 on the road, plus 34.6 3pt% home vs 30.6 on the road. This alone shows you that their home and away performances are vastly different performance-wise and also factor into this issue. Westbrook also has worste AST/TO ratios on the road, which factors in as well. OKC does have a 73.5 win% at home vs. 39.4% on the road.

I could probably find a lot of other stats that would explain his assist numbers home/road.

9. wizkid83

See my second post in thread

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Thunder are 13-20 on the road but 25-9 at home wtf kind of home cookin' is this

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

statistical conspiracy

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

As I've said, I was looking at the most basic stats and these clearly show a big discrepancy between their performances. You didn't address anything outside of shooting percentages and minutes and it's not as simple as that.

The numbers clearly show that OKC is a different team on the road, it's not far-fetched too see that as the main contributor to the apg numbers.

Right now you're simply grasping at straws, this theory needs a ton of video evidence to work.

13. wizkid83

Yes there's a discrepancy for okc home and away. Is it as big as the assist discrepancy? No.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

More than half the winning percentage on the road compared to home is a smaller discrepancy than his assist numbers? Wow.

15. wizkid83

How do winning percentage factor into ast calculation?

16. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Harden's teammates miss more shots off of his passes than Westbrook's. So whose playing with scrubs now?!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It to me shows that OKC is a completely different team away from their arena, easy to assume that would have a massive influence on his assist numbers.

18. wizkid83

Winning is dependent on ast/pts/rb/fg%.
    Assist is dependent on shooting well but not necessarily winning.

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Guaranteed Assists depends on shooting well, but you can't ignore the fact that shooting well leads to more wins. OKC is not a defensive minded team at all. Not only does the entire team shoot better at home vs away, Westbrook himself shoots better at home, plays more minutes at home, scores a lot more at home. Its not far fetched to have someone have better stats at home vs away, that is why there is such thing as home court advantage.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You seem to be stuck on your narrative without considering alternatives.