1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will home prices in Austin increase faster than home prices in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I know that over the past 10 years or so Austin home prices have increased a lot more than Houston home prices but what do you guys think will happen over the next 10 years? I'm going to buy a house soon in either Austin or Houston and can't decide where to buy. The most important thing to me is which would be a better investment.

Bullish case for (west) Houston is that when people move to Houston, that'll be the place where they'll look for houses. ie. that's where Houston will expand. Bearish case is that Houston won't really grow as fast as Austin in the future. Bearish case for Austin is that the housing market's already grown too much too quickly and is bound for a correction (or at least a return to normalization). Bullish case is that Austin's the next San Francisco.

What do you guys think?

2. Buck Turgidson

Where in Houston?

Where in Austin?

tinman likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Buying a home as an investment in Houston is a complete waste of time. In general, home prices here don't appreciate much because scarcity doesn't come into play.

Are you looking at a specific area or neighborhood? There are exceptions.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't see Austin stop growing any time soon, especially not in 10 years.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Next San Francisco? Did Austin get an awesome ocean and weather I'm not aware of?

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Times are changing man. The entire winter in Austin was 70-80's during the day and 50's at night. We won't mention the summer though ok.

global warming!!

7. Jet036

Jet036 Member

All the tech companies have been moving there.

tinman likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I'm dead serious: Where in Austin? Where in Houston? Where are you looking?

9. Jet036

Jet036 Member

West Houston - 77084, 77095, 77064, 77065, energy corridor, jersey village or maybe even as far out as Katy

Austin...no clue - I'd probably end up buying wherever's cheapest (a sparsely populated area)

10. Buck Turgidson

In Houston, I'd go east.

You're a day late and a dollar short in Austin proper, but there's stuff to the south and east and north of town.

How close to downtown Austin do you want to be? 30 miles?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, it has been the case and probably will continue to be.

DD

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oracle building a giant campus in east Austin

13. Buck Turgidson

Not kidding, there are great opportunities in San Antonio.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Austin's been one of the fastest growing cities in the country for several years, and job growth continues to be strong. Home prices are rising fast because of all the folks moving to Austin from the West Coast and the Northeast who can buy far more house here (I live in Austin) for less than they sold their previous place for. For the money you're looking to spend, OP, you'll have to be pretty far from Central Austin to afford a decent house (Buck gave some good info), but you'll still be much closer in than you would be if you bought a comparable place in Houston, in my opinion. Honestly, you should consider what you value the most in a city. If you care about having world class museums and major league sports, along with easy access to the coast, Houston is an easy choice. If you love the Hill Country, the lakes, and the quality of life in Austin, then move here.

15. Buck Turgidson

For the love of all that is good and holy please don't tell any more people to move up here.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Band Geek Mobster

A major reason San Francisco is so expensive is limited land availability. SF is only 46 square miles with a lack of initiative to get taller buildings. I agree Austin will grow faster than Houston because it's a little hipper and tech-ier, but "next San Francisco" is ignoring a lot of variables that create the high prices that can't exist in Austin.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Honestly, those are shitty neighborhoods. 77095 is probably around Barker Cypress south of 290 and 77084 around hwy 6 and Clay. Older neighborhoods, older homes, fairly low income neighborhoods and lots of crime

I would look at 77006 and 77007. Those are great places.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I saw an old 2K square foot house in Austin list for 850K recently. How do people afford it? The property taxes on it alone should be of 20K a year.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah taxes do suck...

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We built a home in Kingwood 5 years ago. Last week, a home on our street sold for $100/sq foot. If my home sold today for $100/sq foot, I would make about a $120K profit.

Makes me seriously consider selling it, banking the profit and just renting for a while until the bubble bursts. If that transaction didn't involve having to move, I would seriously do it.

Anyone want to buy my house and rent it to me? :)