1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This loss not on the refs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Mar 6, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If I'm not mistaken we didn't call a timeout during that run . I think there might have been a tv break lol

2. TheresTheDagger

A team is considered to have crossed midcourt when the ball and both of the ballhandler’s feet are in the frontcourt.

BigMaloe, FANfrom86toNow and mdoggnic like this.
  3. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Yes, once aldridge possessed the ball in the front court.

4. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Your team only has to run one play to win the game, PnR with any big guarded by either Gasol or Aldridge, game set match. Especially with the way your team shooters have established their outside threat in this game, there is NO WAY the Spurs will cheat by overloading & packing the paint.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We easily could have run the PnR 15 more times this game and probably scored about 20 points off it .

I understand what we were thinking , that we didn't want SA to stop it when we least expect it .... But they had no prayer of doing so . They don't have a shotblocker on the level of slowing James down and Clint and nene were on their games tonight .

Rediculous that we didn't make them adjust to it all game .

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Final two possessions:
    1) missed foul on hardens arm by David Lee before the kawhi block
    2) missed foul on nene after going up for the outback
    3) missed 8 second violation on spurs
    4) missed intentional foul by bev to stop clock

#refsdidagreatjob

rocketman4325, Deuce, Hui and 8 others like this.
  7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

THIS IS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID IN THIS THREAD! /THREAD

Hui, Nick_713, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think the refs killed our momentum

Ramo$e and Tfor3 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Momentum is mental . We can't get frustrated at bad calls . Sure you can b**** and whine , but you've got to get locked in during a game like this .

10. justtxyank

Agreed. Need to lock in and force an 8 seconds call to get the ball back. Oh wait, they did.

Lock in and drive the ball for a game tying layup. Oh wait they did but David Lee got to foul hardens arm with no call.

Between two good teams you can't have 4 no calls in under a minute that either take the ball out of one teams hands or doesn't give it to them when they earn it and then talk about lack of being locked in

11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The refs kind of screwed us. It's understandable they can't see everything. I'm not too upset anymore I'm moving on.

rocketsmetalspd likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Bad calls at the end hurt us . We should have been up 5 . Our bench was atrocious. We let Trevor try to create too much . We didn't have Clint in down the stretch . Lou didn't run PnR with Clint as much as we should have .

Like I said , people tend to focus on the end because those are marginal plays . But 3 points counts the same in the first quarter as it does in the 4th .. And yes I know the game changes late . But still , we shouldn't have been in a position to let the refs take the game from us .

San Antonio is a great team and I give them total credit for coming back , but we could've stomped on them multiple times . We were playing that well for stretches .

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Watch the timberwolves game. There were some questionable, phantom calls at the end even the hometown fans and broadcasters were surprised at the calls. And the spurs also won by 2 in over time. And, who gives. It's all about the playoffs!

14. justtxyank

No team plays perfectly for 48 minutes. When two really good teams play each other it often comes down to the final two minutes. Both teams will have made mistakes throughout the game that led to that close game. What you have to ask for as a team is that you get a fair game in those final 2 minutes. You can't overcome multiple calls like that.

If you want to shrug if off as just a loss and sometimes the refs have bad games too, that's fine I guess, but is lame to acknowledge the referees blew 4 game changing calls in under 1 minutes and at the same time say "focus more" to the rockets. They executed. They locked in. The refs took the game out of their hands. They very wel may have still lost the game, but they didn't get that chance.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, you'd better start rooting for the Rockets because your real team is definitely going to miss out on the playoffs this year.

RiceRockets, Nick_713 and Hustle Town like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"It's not on the refs"

This phrase is said after literally every single game that the refs make multiple game-changing calls in key situations. It's tiresome. The game can both not be 100% ref-influenced and also very much ref-influenced at crucial moments. It's not binary.

#36 J Sizzle, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Hustle Town likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Lane violation.
    Kawhi air ball foul.
    Nene foul no call.
    Rockets foul no call (lol)
    8 second violation.

Not to mention some clear questionable calls when the Rockets were up 7 about to close this one out. I ain't mad at the Rockets and won't credit the Spurs either. This game was taken from them. The last one? Yes, choked. This one they shouldn't feel bad about at all. They were the better team tonight. Got hosed. Plain and simple.

rocketman4325, Nick_713 and Ramo$e like this.
  18. justtxyank

I'm not even mad about the loss, I'm frustrated by the NBA official incompetence and it's ability to dictate narratives in this forum.

James harden drove hard to the lane and got a layup opportunity and because the NBA refs didn't call the foul we have posters saying he needs to start settling for mid range jumpers. We used to kill mcgrady for doing that.

TheresTheDagger and Ramo$e like this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Are you blind? Besides the way you describe Kawhi's jock sound like your a Spurs fan. I respect the Spurs but this was some bull. That fourth ref sure sounds good right about now. Damn refs should be fined. We were up 6, he tries to shoot a three and wasn't touched. He just straight up air balled and got the call and shot FREETHROWS!

Why do these refs keep getting passes for messing up. They have one job. That's to call the game down the middle. We get a easy two with time left and they don't call foul at the end. I don't care if it was 1 second left when Beverly & Ariza shoved Aldridge you call it, you don't let the time run out because you want to go home, or personally think we cant come back! They had no problem calling phantom fouls. Why my man Lou Will didn't get the same call on the other end when he was hit on the arm shooting a 3, a real actual foul????

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every little mistake is magnified when you play the Spurs. Lane violation after a missed FT, they will convert (+1). Miss a FT after a long review (-1), they will capitalize.

It's going to be a game/series decided by the small plays and at the margins.

I thought having Ariza guard Gasol was dumb. I'm hoping they went away from PnR because they know they can go to that in the post season.

Spurs feast on dumb teams/moments. That's something the Rox can still improve upon these last 20 games.