1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisionist History, Talent vs Fit & Daryl's Legacy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 26, 2017.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It was July 1st 2013; I think its safe to say most of us were wearing out the F5 key on our computers. Most of, if not all of the West Coast Sports reporters were still scoffing at the idea that Dwight Howard would leave LA for Houston. Even though there were reports that the Houston contingent led be Daryl Morey, Les Alexander and Hakeem Olajuwon were almost arrogant in their confidence to sign Dwight. Many West Coast reporters continued to predict Dwight would stay in LA or possibly sign with Golden State before leaving California for Texas. At one point Chris Broussard even reported that the Dallas Mavericks and not the Houston Rockets were the front runners to sign Dwight Howard.

Finally after a week glued in front of the computer, Dwight Howard made his announcement at 9:57 PM on July 5, 2013.

The euphoria in Houston was strong. Daryl Morey had just signed the top free agent of the that summer and there wasn't a close 2nd.

Fit vs Talent
    But during the chase for Dwight Howard, the Golden State Warriors had cleared out a ton of cap space in hopes of convincing Dwight to sign with them. When it became clear that Dwight was not going to sign with them they turned their attention to acquiring Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala.

In the three seasons that Dwight was on the Rockets, the team enjoyed it's best success while he was not on the floor. In 2014 / 2015 the Rockets finished with 56 wins and 2nd seed in the Western Conference Play-offs with Dwight only playing 41 games. The Rockets advanced past the Clippers to the WC Finals on the back of the greatest play-off comeback in team history while Dwight watched from the bench. Dwight had his good moments to be sure but his poor free throw shooting, inconsistent defense (non-existent in transition) and poor post play on offense made him a poor fit and cost the Rockets at least one play-off series against Portland.

While the Rockets spent the next few seasons awkwardly trying to force feed the ball to Dwight in the post at the expense of the offense, Bogut and Iggy were perfect fits in Golden State.Andre Iguodala won the NBA finals MVP in 2015 and the Warriors have been to two NBA Championship Series winning one of them.

I can't help but wonder what the Warriors would have looked like trying to force feed the ball into the post to Dwight Howard instead of playing with two players willing to play within their system.

After coming off the best season since Hakeem Olajuwon had played for the Rockets, pretty much everyone thought the team had a legitimate shot at improving. After playing only 41 games the prior season Dwight was basically healthy the entire 2015 / 2016 season. Daryl Morey brought back basically the same team that closed out the previous season playing in the Western Conference Finals. Unfortunately the team finished with only 41 wins and barely making the play-offs. Mercifully the Dwight Howard era was over.

If there has been a major weakness in Daryl Morey it has been his infatuation over acquiring three superstar players as opposed to finding players that fit his system. We all know that Daryl's system is all about taking the high value shots from beyond the arc or taking the high percentage shots from inside the paint. The problem has been Daryl's insistence on maintaining cap flexibility and creating assets for that third superstar instead of spending them on players that fit his system. Players like Corey Brewer or KJ McDaniels who simply can't shoot that far out on the floor are square pegs in a round hole system.

On the Heels of the Best Regular Season in Rockets History
    The 1993 - 1994 Rockets set the high water mark for the most regular season wins for the franchise at 58. That team won .707 percent of their games. This years team is currently winning .700 percent of their games which is on pace for 57 wins. The Golden State Warriors are still the favorites to come out of the West and rightly so. But with the Rockets playing so well its easy to imagine them making another trip back to the WCF and giving Golden State a better challenge then the one they gave them in 2015.

What's the difference? Shooters. You now have the shooters capable of making the Daryl Morey system work. By acquiring Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon and now Lou Williams to add with Beverly, Ariza and Harden; the Rockets can keep 3 or more high percentage 3 point shooters on the floor for all 48 minutes.

The Rockets are no longer trying to fit square peg players into a round hole system. Instead of force feeding Dwight Howard back to the basket post up plays, they are now feeding Clint Capella the ball on pick and role plays. The Rockets now have three post players hitting over 60% of their field goal attempts not because they are more talented then Dwight Howard but because they are get their points within the natural flow of the offense.

Embracing Who You Are is a Beautiful Thing
    By all accounts Dwight Howard is a really good dude. I saw nothing during his time in Houston to make me think otherwise. But the man could have gone down as one of the all time greats just by playing defense, rebounding and getting his points rolling to the basket. Featuring Dwight Howard with his back to the basket in the post is like a chubby girl with a beautiful face and big boobs squeezing herself into some skinny jeans and a half shirt. Why do you wan't to accentuate the muffin top when you have all these other great features?

This season the Rockets have embraced who they are and they have been a pure joy to watch because of it. What? So our defense is giving up a bunch of 2 point field goals in the paint? No problem because we are going to unleash a barrage of 3 point shots on your ass on the other end of the court. So you are going to try and chase our 3 point shooters off of the line? No problem because we'll drop the ball over your heads to Clint Capella or Montrezl Harrell for an easy slam. Now that we have Lou Williams there is not a second in the game where we can't put 2 or 3 deadly 3 point shooters on the court at one time and we will frequently have 4 of them in at the same time.

The Rockets need to get better at securing defensive rebounds. Golden State is certainly the deserving favorites to come out of the West but this is the best I've felt about the Rockets since Hakeem was patrolling the paint. Regardless how good the other team is or who that team might be, if the Rockets shooters are on their games they can beat absolutely anyone.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Really? Costed a playoff series in Portland? Dwight was on the bench during the playoff comeback?

You are mixing up the superstars here. Misleading post is bad when your basis of your argument is on fake news and alternative facts.

This is revisionist history by YOU to fit a narrative. We whine about narratives all the time here on Clutchfans, and how they are created by misleading information, and then one of our own does the exact same thing.

#2 jbasket, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

these situations are apples to oranges.

Picking up Andre and Bogut wouldn't have made our team better than Dwight did, because we didn't have the explosive growth Klay and steph did that year.

Also, if you aren't building value, when the right deal comes along, you can't afford it. honestly, this story seems to have more revisions than the already existing narrative.

4. RESINator

RESINator Member

Qft.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Will be remixing this thread by Wednesday. Consider yourself a culture creator OP

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actually, this was coaching. I've said it all along and I think MDA is proving it. Coaching matters.

Kerr made several decisions that had a large impact on that team.

- Starting Draymond Green. He did this because he wanted to space the floor.
    - Benching Iguodala, again, due to wanting to just simply space the floor.

Curry and Klay were always great shooters. Kerr just did what he needed to do to emphasize that. Now he put 4 shooters on the floor, just by promoting one guy to starter and demoting one guy to the bench. Where before the Warriors only two shooters were Klay and Curry, he just made them all harder to guard.

MDA comes in and does a few things as well. He makes Harden the PG because why? Simple. Harden has always been a playmaker, why not just have him PG to ensure it is emphasized? He is playing him to his strength. To have Harden standing out on the wings like some SG diminishes his strength. This is why it didn't work with Dwight.

If Mchale had any control over that team he would have made it a point that Dwight and Harden would destroy teams in the PNR, instead what we got were two guys trying to get theirs. Which works if you are Westbrook and Durant to some extent...but not if you are Harden and Howard and the other guy really isn't an elite offensive player like he thinks he is.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

I'm gonna hi-jack this thread a bit and ask for some input on something I've been thinking about since the start of the year. It seems like Morey abandoned his "3 Star" model when he gave up our flexibility this off season to sign Anderson and Gordon. These guys are probably move-able but they're exactly the type of non-superstars Morey avoids paying big bucks for. This new model feels more like the first title - Hakeem surrounded by great role players (with Harden taking Dream's spot).

Instead of a Big 3 and a bunch of old ring chasers and young rookies, we have this 10+ man army of snipers, rebounders, defenders, borderline all stars. It seems like a shift and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

D-rock, hakeem94, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some of us brought up that Dwight didn't fit when we got him.

I am just happy we embraced the right type of players finally.

DD

DonKnock and FanSince93 like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He was the reason for the WCF appearance. Its ridiculous you make all sorts of allowances for DMo who hasnt proved anything yet keep harping on "fit" with Dwight when he brought the Rox to its first WCF appearance in 20 years.

So when DMo is sucking it up in Pelly it's all his teammates fault for being selfish, the coach doesn't know how to use him blah blah blah but Dwight who has averaged a double double here and has been the core of the WCF team suddenly is the wrong type of player? When its DMo its everyone else's fault but him but when its Dwight its all his fault even if he played great here. LOLOLOLOL!!!

FTW Rockets FTW, baubo and D-rock like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

As for the OP first of all let me commend you for the high quality post, it's really well written and better than some articles I read in BSPN.

You make several good points but at the same time you gloss over some things. Dwight has delivered on his end during his time in Houston, 3 years is a short time but he was able to bring the team to the WCF, something Francis, Tmac and Yao had never been able to do in 5+ years. Dwight had lots of suitors at the time but when he chose Houston he was clear about his demands, he wanted to become Shaq 2.0 Rockets should have been upfront about what they wanted from him instead of agreeing to whatever he wanted and then turning around once he signed a deal with them. A big man and dominant wing will always clash, Phil Jackson was in the same position but instead of telling Kobe to always defer to Shaq or vice versa he got the two of them to work together.

This is the result of Morey's philosophy that talent> all, this was why they didn't think coaches make a big diff or why they didn't consider fit, Morey in interviews would always bring up LBJ and Wade and Bosh and how those 3 made it work despite having overlapping roles. Problem was Wade and LBJ were BFFs, they wouldn't take offense at things that would cause conflict in others. You can't just put guys in a team and expect them to be buddy buddy, you have to foster the right environment for it to happen. Good thing is Rox learned from their mistakes, they passed on several deals I'm sure they would have previously pounced on if they didn't consider chemistry and fit.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The NBA has changed so much since we signed Dwight 4 years ago.

This is actually the right way to configure a team if you don't have what GS has.

But there's an astrik to this thinking. You have to have a James harden or Lebron James. We're fortunate to have harden because without him this wouldn't work. If you sub harden out with Durant, Leonard Westbrook or even curry the results would be different.

Bottem line is harden is a real MVP franchise player and has alltime great talent and ability. Not that the other guys don't but there not the all around offensive force that he is. Harden very well might be a top 10 offensive guard/wing alltime right now, he's that lethal. (I think he is)

If he can win 1-2 mvps and 2-3 rings I truely believe he'll be considered a top 20 player and the 2nd best SG of alltime to Jordan (Kobe will have a case) that's the type of player we're watching right now. It's all about rings for him now, because he has the stats the offensive rating and metrics to back everything up.

I'm 100% confident that we're the 2nd best team in the NBA. And the scary part is we can add a bogut tomorrow and still have 12-13m to spend in the offseason while retaining the whole roster which is already a 60 win team.

We're just getting started imo. People will catch on after the playoffs when they see not only our offense because frankly everyone knows how good our offense is even the national media but they will see how good our defense is. We've been top 8 for like the last 45 games. We have been playing better defense than the defending champs for a very long time now same with Toronto Boston and the wizards but still all I ever hear is about how our defense is worrisome.

We need a 3&D wing who can play the PF spot also coming off the bench or if he's better push Ariza to the bench.

If we can get that done this offseason which I think we can, Watch out.

We will be the only team that can beat golden state in a 7 game series.

Morey is a genius he did it again and this time he got it right.

Enjoy isn't fellow rockets fans. Good things happen to good ppl and harden Morey and MDA deserve a ring. I absolutely think we get one over the next 3 years. The question after that is can we find guys to put around harden in his 30-33 year age to keep this window alive. It's possible but its exciting to think we have 5-6 more years of harden being a truely MVP level guy. He won't be the same in his 30-33 prime but he might be better because he'll be more seasoned. He will age really well.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

No, he was not.

DD

14. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I am gonna respectfully disagree with the OP and just plain disagree with @DaDakota just for the sake of doing it.

While Dwight did not take us the WCF alone, that first year against Portland he was beastly or at least the lone bright spot. If I recall correctly there was a lot of criticism against James that year saying how he didn't show up in the playoffs and comparing it to his disappearance in the finals with OKC.

Obviously Lin didn't help, and James telling Chandler to switch on D to play Lillard on that final shot. This was also when TJones was "holding" LMA to 42 PPG for a couple of those games.

I think that first year would have been our best chance to go deep. We owned SA that year IIRC going 4-0 in the regular season, and had we won that game going home for game 7 and SA the next round.

roslolian likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Regardless of how much he did or didn't contribute to the run to the WCF, Dwert was the torpedo that sunk last season, and for that I'll never forgive him.

Morey had to guarantee too many years just to land Howard, and that ended up being a big mistake. Even when Dwight was clicking with the rest of the team, that on-court chemistry felt like a sizzling isotope, waiting to explode and f$#k up Morey Basketball Laboratories, LTD, which it eventually did.

16. DaDakota

Dwight is a cancer everywhere he has been. His personality will always cause issues, the guy is just not reliable, he is a loser.

Glad he is gone. Never wanted him in the first place, but understood why Morey tried.

DD

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is going way way too far saying he is a loser.

Rocketeer4Life and D-rock like this.
  18. tarantula

tarantula Member

Agree. Actually i think he is great personality, such a positive and good guy. Look at him now, he is not acting like he did here and why that? Cuz he is getting what they promised him.

We made mistake promising him something we can't give him. I'm glad to see him doing good now but damn i'm glad that he is off our team when it wasn't going on.

19. dragonz

dragonz Member

narrative driven writing, huh?

Signing Dwight was a good move, he was a top talent, and top-talent are not easily lured. When you presented with such an opportunity, you make the move.

Just like Pelicans made a move on Boogie. 3 years from now, time may prove that Boogie is not a "good-fit" for the Pelicans, but right now right here at this point of time, who cares?

DonKnock, roslolian and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Loser is a poor description choice when his teams are in playoffs every season. Now Melo is a loser.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.