1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On debut of Lou Williams and Rockets deadline-day trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What did BimaThug mean by "Nerlens Noel and Caldwell-Pope" money in the summer?

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

$20 million per, or there abouts

$30.9 million will not be easy to get to.

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Not kind to make fun of mental illness.

But Larry sanders def plays basketball for money only.

I know you saw that the Cavs thought he did ok in his tryout but I also read that the Celtics were unimpressed by his workout for them.

Personally I don't think he's on the rockets radar at all. I'm sure they rather roll the dice with Capela/nene/trez

I think the only reason they would go after bogut is because he fits the offense and was a very good screener/passer/rebounder/defender in golden state which plays similar to us.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He means we can afford a 0-6 year max contract (25%), but not the 7-9 max (30%), or 10+ year max (35%)

As of today, we will have about 14 million in cap space.

If we gave away Lou Williams, we could get up to about 20m.

If we gave away Ariza as well, we could get up to about 26m.

5. heypartner

So he is saying Noel and Caldwell-Pope are max players, and Clutch presumably agrees? Doesn't bode well for Capela's resigning, if he has any sort of good showing in the playoffs.

Pope can't possibly be a max player, right??? :(:(

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I meant it was the max APPLICABLE to those guys, who struck me (at that moment) as among the more likely candidates to get the max from that particular crop of free agents. (I probably should have mentioned Otto Porter as well.) Doubt Noel gets the full max, but don't be shocked if KCP gets maxed out, Harrison Barnes-style.

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  7. heypartner

I'm betting Mason Plumlee gets same $ as Noel, if not more. But I guess sturdy players often don't make as much money as athletic players.

This summer and last year might be the only times we see non-star, rookie-scale players turn down extensions (or otherwise not get them) then follow that up with a Max contract in the summer, without really even having a breakout year....well, maybe Otto is with that insane 46% 3p%....Bazemore got what $18m last year?

Gotta believe the cap jumps are creating this refusal to accept extensions, so just temporary player/agent tactics. Even with these unique cap-jump years, gotta think it's risky for players to gamble on no extensions like apparently TJones and DMo did. Well, I guess DMo was returning from surgery, so he probably didn't get a good extension offer, if any.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Both the 76ers or Nets will be going hard after KCP in FA. Could easily be max money.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

KCP at max? That seems crazy to me. His TS% is .533 and just for comparison, Lou Williams is at .800 TS% for his career in Houston. ;)

Why does he get the max? Is he a great defender or something?

10. heypartner

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The vet minimum salary is prorated based on the number of days in the regular season (roughly 170). It begins prorating downward (by roughly 1/170th each day) immediately at the start of the regular season.

Most cap exceptions (MLE, BAE, etc.) begin to prorate downward (by roughly 1/170th each day) starting on January 10 based on the amount of such cap exception remaining as of January 10.

With cap room, a team can sign one or more players to salaries up to the actual amount of cap room.

In other words, Albert (as per usual) is correct

DonKnock, heypartner and craguin like this.
  12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Oops. Double post.

13. heypartner

I saw the CBA text to confirm, so attempted to retract my question to you, so as not to bother you. thx for answering so fast, though.

Here's Albert's tweet in question, for those who are wondering what my question was. It first got posted in one of the Bogut buyout threads

DonKnock likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

See if his hate for us is real.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Tonight lou plays a big role in a W!

saleem and DonKnock like this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Can we please get another amazing podcast for playoffs. @Clutch

If I remember correctly, in 2015 you made a few during the run. It would be awesome and appreciated.

If you can't or don't have the time or resources I understand and apologize for the bump. Just so pumped up.

Thanks for everything you do

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah we need those Clutch and MK Bower podcasts going

DreamShook and BigMaloe like this.