1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much a good offensive system helps ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HayesIsBack, Feb 25, 2017.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Someone posted in one of the threads that we can consider EGo and Lou Williams on the levels on Curry and Thompson.

It was laughable, but I went to check some stats.

Curry and Klay have never had a season shooting less than 40% from 3s.

Lou and EGo, on the other hand, despite longer careers, have 1 season between them shooting >40% from 3s.

That just got me thinking. Watching EGo play this season, and also watching Lou this season + his one game for the Rockets (I know, small sample) with his quick release and ability to shoot off the catch, off the dribble and off a turn, I wonder if they would be consistent 40% 3-point shooters if they were playing in this system for most of their careers.

So by extension, how much of a difference does this offensive system make? And by extension, if Lou starts shooting 40%+ for the rest of this season as well, how attractive would the Rockets be as a free agent destination? I think the best is still to come.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

You raised some interesting questions here, i hope to see more discussion.

3. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Even if we become a major free agent destination wouldn't we have to free up some cap space to actually sign someone, or trade Ariza/Ryno? However, it's definitely nice to finally have multiple decent shooters in our offensive system

4. bongman

bongman Member

No question the system has a lot to do with any player's performance as long as the team plays within his strength
    - Harrell wouldn't have had those monster games playing on another team unless it was lottery bound.
    - Capella would probably not be ready to start for any other playoff contender
    - Javallee and Zsa2 having career years
    - Bogut was considered a bust before joinIng GS
    - Ego is also having a monster season
    - Brew was an exciting signing until we found out his skills did not fit our style of play.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Actually, a lot of people are saying how a different system will allow Harden to shoot better from 3 and have way less TOs.

It's true ...

[​IMG]

without stars to draw the attention of the d, no system will improve your shot. And conversely, many systems can get your open looks, with the help of stars. Curry and Klay are stars. They'll shoot like that their entire career probably....unless of course, Klay gets traded to a team that he has to carry. Then, maybe he's drop off a little...but he'll still get tons of off-ball picks in many different systems.

#5 heypartner, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017