1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feds conduct sweeps

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Feb 10, 2017.

?

Do you think it right for this to happen now

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you just say "immigrants" and you leave off the qualifier "illegal" you do a disservice to legal immigrants who did things the right way and whose presence in the US isn't a crime. I would say the same to those who bash "immigrants" and leave off the "illegal" part (or "undocumented" if you think that sounds better)

edwardc likes this.
  2. Dei

Dei Member

Love your virtue signalling man. But really, the ones who struck down honest conversation of real issues because of political correctness were the real evil people. When Trump won, our timeline shifted from wickedness to the era of truth.

#22 Dei, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. Buck Turgidson

I hope the usual suspects here don't take advantage of illegal immigrant labor by, you know, eating food or having shelter. Those kind of things are pretty easy to do away with.

Nook likes this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The law must be applied equally. Our elected members of government must be held accountable to do this.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For nearly 40 years now, the US "allow" illegal immigrant to stay, to work and we always have laws that allow their kids born here to be Citizen. We have plenty taken advantage of their low-cost labor and we have prosper much from it. We have turned a blind eye toward the laws and created this huge illegal immigration problem. It's not a DEM or REP that is responsible, it was both. It's not liberal or conservative, it was both. We allow this to flourish for decades and we are very much responsible for the current situation.

I think it's irresponsible of the US to not have a comprehensive immigration reform to slowly improve the system while being careful to not create harms, especially to children of illegal immigrants that are now US citizen.

I think it's completely immoral of the US to now break up families apart like this. This is just wrong. If this is done at any mass scale, it will cause mass suffering. Many kids will need to go into the foster care system, which today have about 400k kids. A system that is overwhelmed and with major issues. We are better human than this.

Exiled likes this.
  6. Dei

Dei Member

@txtony

The cause was the Immigration act of 1965 (though you probably know it already):

I don't think the key point was that they were taken advantage of their low-cost labor - it was to provide amnesty, out of the people's magnanimity. They were paid for their service. America owes them squat for that. The problems they caused were unforseen (or maybe deliberately ignored) but, just as likely as that is the case, they should have been aware that they were still illegals. Their stay in America could be taken away anytime. I'm not going to deny a lot of those families will be very inconvenienced, but the government also has to prioritize the actual citizens. I can send the people back that can be sent back with a sort of severance pay like 20k. For anchor babies, parents get to stay until the kids are 18, I guess.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

America owes you squat too, ignorant trash.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

They will have one hell of a fight with the inner city folks.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Weren't these sweeps also done periodically during the Obama administration? I thought I read somewhere that he deported more illegal immigrants than any other president.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Once upon a time that might have been accurate, but "inner cities" are often run by Democrats which means that they'll have really harsh gun laws so if that happened, they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. Now, sure there would be some jackasses who think they are hard, but they wouldn't make it long. The anti-civil liberties crowd has weakened the people to the point where there wouldn't be much that could be done if the government turned against the people aside from military coup. Basically every leftist policy and about half of the policies of those who call themselves conservatives end up doing little more than robbing the people of power to strengthen the federal government.

If something like that did happen, they'd have a lot more trouble with the people out in the sticks because those people have more weapons and are in areas where not many resources would be allocated. The inner cities would be crushed with overwhelming force almost immediately.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw Buffalo Springfield in concert at the Coliseum in Houston on April 21, 1968. They were 3rd billed, behind the Beach Boys and Strawberry Alarm Clock (SAC were "one hit wonders" with Incense and Peppermints). Check the ticket prices on the poster. Great show!

[​IMG]

#31 Deckard, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup but let's panic first and get the information later...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...s-trump-20170210-story,amp.html?client=safari

Fact check: Are recent immigration raids result of Trump policy?

Advocacy groups say that Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers are rounding up people in large numbers around the country as part of stepped-up enforcement under President Donald Trump.

They say a roundup in Southern California was especially heavy-handed and cite arrests in places such as Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Texas and North Carolina that have rattled immigrants.

The government says it's simply enforcing the laws and conducting routine enforcement targeting immigrants in the country illegally with criminal records. Authorities say it's no different than what happened during the Obama years on a regular basis.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Here are some of the facts surrounding what's happening with immigration enforcement:

TRUMP VS. OBAMA
    As a candidate, Donald Trump vowed to take a hard line on immigration. Five days after taking office, he signed a sweeping executive order that made clear that just about any immigrant living in the country illegally could be a priority for deportation, particularly those with outstanding deportation orders. The president's order also said enforcement priorities would include convicted criminals, immigrants who had been arrested for any criminal offense, those who committed fraud, and anyone who may have committed a crime.

Under President Barack Obama, the government focused on immigrants in the country illegally who posed a threat to national security or public safety and recent border crossers. But despite the narrower focus, more than 2 million people were deported during Obama's time in office, including a record of more than 409,000 people in 2012. At one point, he was dubbed the "Deporter in Chief" by his critics.

The record was reached with the help of the Secure Communities program that helped the government identify immigrants in the country illegally who had been arrested. In the latter half of Obama's tenure, deportations plummeted to lows matching those of former President George W. Bush's term.

ARE THE LATEST RAIDS A DIRECT RESULT OF TRUMP'S ORDER?
    Immigration officials say they aren't.

David Marin, Immigration and Customs Enforcement's field office director for enforcement and removal operations in greater Los Angeles, said the agency carries out these operations two or three times a year in his region. He says the California operation was in the planning stages "before the administration came out with their current executive orders."

But immigrant rights groups say the actions are harsher than in the past.

Advocates began fielding calls Thursday from immigrants and their lawyers reporting raids at homes and businesses in the greater Los Angeles area. In one instance, agents showed up at the home of a 50-year-old house painter named Manuel Mosqueda in the Los Angeles suburbs, looking to arrest an immigrant who wasn't there. In the process, they spoke with Mosqueda, arrested him and put him on a bus to Mexico — though lawyers were able to halt his deportation and bring him back.

In all, Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested about 160 people during a five-day sweep in Southern California aimed at immigrants with criminal histories and deportation orders, including a Salvadoran gang member wanted in his country and a Brazilian drug trafficker. Marin acknowledged that five of those arrested would not have met the Obama administration's enforcement priorities.

The agency called it an "enforcement surge" that was no different than enforcement actions carried out in the past and said a "rash of recent reports about purported ICE checkpoints and random sweeps are false, dangerous, and irresponsible." In a statement, the agency said "officers frequently encounter additional suspects who may be in the United States in violation of the federal immigration laws. Those persons will be evaluated on a case by case basis and, when appropriate, arrested by ICE."

THE NEW NORMAL?
    Despite the claims that this is business as usual, an indication of the changed tactics came earlier in the week when Homeland Security Secretary John Kellytestified before Congress. He told lawmakers immigration agents expressed frustration that they were not fully allowed to enforce immigration laws under the Obama administration. He predicted Trump's directives would end that frustration.

"I think their morale has suffered because of the job they were hired to do, and then in their sense, they're ... kind of hobbled or, you know, hands tied behind their back, that kind of thing," Kelly told the House Homeland Security Committee. "And now, they feel more positive about things. I bet if you watch the morale issue, you'll ... be surprised going forward."

Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan, who was previously in charge of the agency's enforcement and removal operations, earlier this month made a point of noting that his agents would enforce the law.

In at least one case, it seems clear that Trump's order changed someone's fate. Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos, a mother of two in Phoenix, was arrested nearly a decade ago for using a false ID to get a job as a janitor at an amusement park. She pleaded guilty to a felony charge, but the government during the Obama years declined to deport her despite her being in the country illegally. On Wednesday, she showed up at the ICE building in Phoenix for a scheduled check-in with immigration officers and was swiftly deported to Mexico.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Illegal immigration is an economic issue. Illegal immigration does depress wages.

Dei likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dei can't wait for the day when he can go out and kill minorities himself.

15. Dei

Dei Member

The government should also enact policies that would encourage illegals to self-deport:

- no more welfare
    - punishing employers that hire illegals so they can't get work
    - schools forced to kick out illegals
    - tax on remittances so they bleed money they want to send to their families at home
    - laws like the proposed Texas law to jail government officials that obstruct deportation to quash resistance

It's going to get so bad to be an illegal in America that they would rather go home while they still have the chance to take their property with them (especially their cars) than sit around waiting to get vanned and lose everything.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is a positive correlation between states with higher percentages of illegal and legal immigrants and a higher per capita GDP. The data is clear. If you have something to show your point to be true then show it.

Deckard likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So we kick out illegals that have been here for over a decade and then what? Does it suddenly make America a better place? Are you ready to push your kids to take all those construction, landscaping, busboy and dishwashing jobs that they are stealing from Americans?

18. Dei

Dei Member

Sure. I don't sneer at honest work. I'd also get better service as a lot of illegals do terrible jobs.

Correlation != causation

Immigrants generally go to states that give them a lot of gibs. A lot of the incredibly wealthy also like immigrants because they can hire a big servile workforce at both the factory and at home for cheap.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Some terrific posts, Robbie!

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Plenty of young people not working or doing anything in the inner cities RR is talking about. Something like 58.5 according to politifact. If those jobs have higher demand and a wages rise I will gladly pay a little more for my meal so the dishes can be washed in a way that doesn't break federal immigration laws. I mow my own lawn because I want it done in a high quality manner but if I was such a pleb to allow others to touch it I would pay there more also for a lower unemployment and ∴ crime rate.