1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets - State of the Union

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have exceeded wildest expectations so far. Kudos to the whole organization.

So, now we find ourselves in a place where a combination of things have been going on.

These guys are tired, for one. We've played a bunch of games in a short period of time. All the while being short handed as moves need to be made.(BIG MAN, 3D guy, playmaker,
    perhaps a star) We'll see. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The organization decided to wait on making any moves, in spite of the injury to CC. So, factor in his absence..and then getting his sea leg (s) : ) back (add in the Anderson/Gordon injuries)...It changed the way we play. We've sacrificed some games to get through all this. But, we won't have to pay as much for what we need as teams don't have as much leverage over us now

I believe the League has caught up to us as we are at present, to a degree. So, while I won't say no worries, there is a bigger picture coming into focus....Now we need some time for DM, MDA, Beard, and the boys to work on the next step. I had major reservations about MDA going into the season ...My biggest fear was that we would have a very good regular season record and not be able to translate that to the playoffs. But, I have to tell ya..overall things look good. Let them work the process.

[​IMG]

topfive, Mathloom, Fyreball and 6 others like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agree with everything here but also cognizant of the problem teams that rely on the 3 have when it comes to dry spells. I think, for year 1, things are progressing well. I think the tinkering will likely come in the off-season where I'd like to see us get an extra first rounder to take advantage of the talent coming out this year and supplement our core.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Work...'the process'? Embiid is coming here? No, seriously - - I can agree with all except my belief in a great record in-season.

I theorize about the Brew/KJ uh, dynamic. I'd think Chandler would be a good get at the right price to replace Brew's minutes and/or KJ's rusting and rotting and stewing on the bench.

RA has given me more than I thought he had, but his sitting minutes need RA-lite (Mirotic?) or a different dynamic (KF?) IMO.

And, Bev? Love Bev. Love Bev for 18-20 hard-nosed minutes. 20. tops.

Any ears on targets?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would say the league has caught on . . . lf we weren;'t simply missing a ton of open shots.
    If they were all contested yea. . i get that the defense is beating us to the spot
    but no
    We wife the f*** open and bricking
    That screams more TIRED than anything
    same with the Fouling defense or being a step slow.

yes we can use more help . . . .

Rocket River

slothy420, hakeem94 and J Sizzle like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tl;Dr version- we need a big body like DMo

6. DreamEarlNolan

I'm sure most would agree with me that the area the Rockets have to get better at is defense. All teams hit dry spells offensively, but what separates great teams from good ones is the great ones can rely on their defense when the offense goes cold. The Rockets have shown stretches of good defensive play during their winning streaks, but they have to find a way to do it every night. The Rockets also have one square peg trying to fit in a round hole that is Corey Brewer. His game just doesn't match what the Rockets want to do on offense. They really need to improve that position before the playoffs.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

Pat, SamFisher and BigMaloe like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wait, what about the turnovers?
    love,
    joomba

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey there xiki, good to see you man...

On KJ - I'm all for bundling him in with Brewer to make the team better. At the same time, it's always confounded me as to why he hasn't been developed more/got some burn....

I concur on RA...It's been said many times, but his ability to spread the floor was REALLY underrated (by myself as well) coming in.

As to targets -

[​IMG]

10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Need to speed up the pace.
    Also need to learn how to Box-out!!!!

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

What I've noticed is that we don't change our style when we have a lead besides walking it up. Our bread-and-butter involves taking the first uncontested shot, but when you have 14 point lead, you should be more selective.

That's all the little things: moving when the ball isn't in your hands (and I don't mean have a P&R play with roll man), setting picks off the ball, having cutters, rotating around the perimeter. Our offense dries up when everyone becomes a stationary target at the 3 point line. Earlier in the year, we showed a ton more creativity with all of this. As the season has ground along, we've had less and less team movement.

Bringing the ball up with some enthusiasm, and working the clock and the ball for 10 more seconds can absolutely break a team's will when they are down by 14.

If anything has changed it's that teams are daring us to finish at the rim. Beverley and Ariza need to be excited and just go score when they are 6 feet from the basket. Both get in the air looking to pass. SHOOT THE BALL!

I do hope we rest up over the next few days, but a day of practice or two in the gym wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, our defense is suspect at times, but since we're such an explosive offensive team, we need to learn what to do when the leads come our way. Great teams establish leads and punish their opponents because they know how to be a front runner.

saleem, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cute selfies, I should look so good.

RA and EG have both brought more than I thought they had; and Brew brings 'it' every time out. However, just what is 'it'? I love the guy, uh except when he has the ball in the O ("There's a reason he's open!'). As he cannot, and TA cannot, and RA cannot, create a shot for themselves or others I'd love to see someone brought in who could create a shot, therefore open more open looks for RA/EG/TA.

Fun season to date, even if the Dubs are, or certainly capable of playing on another planet.

BTW - - FREE KJ!

Plowman likes this.
  13. basketballholic

It's not true that RA cannot create a shot for himself. It simple isn't allowed in this offense. It is true that none of these other guys can create a shot for others. They can't. Which makes Harden so much more important and prominent. And that's just the way Harden likes it.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Give it a rest man.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I've seen him do it a few times and I would just say we need another player that is better at doing it than RA. Like a guy that can put it on the floor and break down his defender. RA seems to only be able to do a step back move or a turnaround fadeaway in the post. And if we get 'this player,' Harden would need to learn to share the ball and play making duties with him. I don't really like the idea of having 1 player account for 49% of your team's offense.

basketballholic likes this.
  16. basketballholic

You anarchist! Off with his head! Off with his head! Send in the mob! Off with his head!

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This season has been fun and I think we're ahead of schedule with certainly what I expected from the team this year. We are definitely tired. We've played 4-5 more games than most of the rest of the league and this 3-day break should help. Injuries and illnesses have been a factor, but usually are in an 82 game season. I still believe we're missing two players to make us competitive in the play-offs--big center (think Koufos) and another guard for depth (not confident in Ennis).

Last night we could have really used Nene and I don't get why MDA wouldn't use him on a limited basis in some back-to-backs. Same with KJ, against Hardaway and the Hawks. MDA's rotation is starting to feel a little too rigid and he may need to have a little more flexibility given the particular scenario he's facing.

In any case this team has certainly beat my expectations for the first half and I'm hoping with some rest and a couple of tweaks we can finish the season strong and compete well in the play-offs.

18. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Haha. I think everybody knows it's true, some just won't admit it. Maybe they will once they see it. It just takes a little time to build that trust. After watching Ty Lawson fail at it last season they a lil scared at the thought of taking the ball out of James' hands but E Gordon is making them believers I think. They can see the benefits of having multiple playmakers. I'm not saying come in and take over top dog, just help carry some of the load. You know what I'm talking about Holic.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and vice versa

seriously in recent years i saw great teams play bad defence occasionally only to be rescued by the greater offense

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Compared to Threeeza Anderson can. Compared to. But, no - - he's an open, spot-up shooter or, surprise to me!, OR fighter and scorer. I like the guy, but create his own shot? Not.