1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Dekker is a ________ forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 22, 2017.

?

Sam Dekker is a _______ forward

1. small

86 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. power

26 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. point

21 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

See poll.

The correct answer is
    power

#1 Carl Herrera, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

Trick question, none of the above, I see 8 dashed lines and only 5 letter responses

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

He's a stretch 4, not power forward.

PhiSlamma15 and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

F'ing

Jontro likes this.
  5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Sexy

Jontro likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

vator likes this.
  7. thegreatdantoni

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

does he have a shirt on or did he just paint 15 on his body

9. Fantasma Negro

Sam Dekker is a ****ing forward

10. clutz

clutz Member

tad

Granville and alethios like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sam Dekker is a step forward from Corey Brewer

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Sam Dekker is a STEP forward...

...on Rocket's journey to NBA championship.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ok OP, I'm interested to hear your reasoning on why you think PF will be his eventual best/final position. Not saying I disagree, I just want to get your take.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

tradable

douglasreedy1 and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Cool thread,@Carl Herrera
    Proceed through this topic with caution though! LOL... Wasn't there a huge debate in the last couple of seasons about the type of forward TMac was? Lol, I swear I remember some posters going nuts over the point-forward debate. Perhaps it was a different player, but I recall the topic being almost as heated as the TJones vs. Dmo or Lowry vs. Brooks threads.

To respond to your question:

I'm not sure what to categorize Sam as just yet. I don't see him as a power forward in any sense of the term, mainly because he hasn't been utilized in the post, nor does his game, thus far, lend itself to the power required to be a "banger" in the post. With some bulk, time and direction, I think SD could be a legitimate post player, but within this offense, will we ever see a return to the post-game? (To think we had one of the best post players ever in McHale, and as a coach, he was terrible at showing our big guys how to develop their game...)

If we acquire an Amare-esque big man (Blake Griff. would apply in this sense), I could see MDA drawing up more plays for the front court. But, since we only have one starter who is comfortable in a type of post-offense (FlyRy), I don't know if Dekker will be developed by our coaches to be that type of forward. *I still think players should get that one-on-one training to modify their games in case of a franchise/coaching change. Sam has the shot, speed and mobility to be in the post*

So, I guess, if I had to answer, SD is simply a forward. Calling him a "stretch forward" doesn't even seem right. He has the ability to score both in the paint and from distance, but when you add on the term "stretch," it makes it seem like 4s aren't supposed to be able to shoot. In the past (as you know as a true Rox fan), big men who could shoot decently was common. In today's game, if you are 6'8" and above, having a consistent jumper is almost abnormal. The same can be said for big men who actually know how to post up, in the same manner as guys like Kevin Willis/Chuck/Dream (of course)/Scola/Herrera, too.

As long as Sam isn't groomed to be a Channing Frye, I'll be satisfied. Dekk is listed at 6'9"-6'10" when generously described. If he continues to progress on the offensive end in Mike's system, he could be a special forward. Even more, if he keeps the same energy on the defensive side of things, without getting the Chandler Parson disease of not playing defense in year 2, he could become a 2-way player in the front court. It's rare (in 2017) for a big to be a legitimate threat on both ends of the floor.

16. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

He's an asset? duhhh

17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

NBA.com on Oct 25, 2016 Rated the players by position.
    http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/25/ranking-top-power-forwards-2016-17-nba-season
    1) Anthony Davis
    2) Draymond Green
    3) Blake
    4) LMA
    5) Millsap
    6) Favors
    7) Ibaka
    8) K Love
    9) Porzingis
    10) Nowitzki

There is probably a fine line between Stretch Forward & Power Forward nowadays.
    Days of the Power Forwards such as Otis Thorpe/Anthony Mason/Oakley may not be there at the moment.
    I would say Dekker could match up with all but Davis/Millsap/Ibaka (w/Ibaka due to experience)...maybe Favors.
    Memphis was a good test vs their PF's last night.

So the next question is Dekker as a Small Forward? Matching up vs Small Forwards in the league?

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Per 82games.com (which spells Sam Dekker's last name incorrectly), he has played more than 6 times more minutes at PF than at SF. All of the most common Sam Dekker 5 man units see him playing next to one of the centers (Nene/Capela/Harrell) and either Ariza or Brewer. http://www.82games.com/1617/16HOU9.HTM

He might not look like Karl Malone, but in Mike D'Antoni's world he is a power forward just like Shawn Marion was a power forward.

RocketsTerps, vator and D-rock like this.
  20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Larry Bird was a SF, so is Dekker who is the closest thing to him ever*

* ( for one game at least)