1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which areas of Houston have the best price to rent ratios? / Anyone rent a townhouse?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Does anyone know if there are certain parts of Houston where the price to rent ratios are higher than in other parts?

Also, does anyone here rent? How much do you pay? Anyone here rent a townhouse?

EDIT: If a 100K house rented for 10K per year, the price to rent ratio would be 10 and if a 100K house rented for 20K per year, the price to rent ratio would be 5. I want to buy a house then rent it out so I'm looking for areas of town that have low price to rent ratios.

#1 Jet036, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I'm not familiar with exactly what areas are cheaper but I do know the nicer the neighborhood the higher the price. Check Zillow's website. It has an easy map feature where all the prices pop up around the search area.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Sadat X likes this.
  4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What's your budget? Renters market is pretty good these days inside the loop.

5. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I was referring to the price to rent ratio (basically, the percentage that rental price is of the actual cost of the house).

So if a 100K house rented for 10K per year, the price to rent ratio would be 10 and if a 100K house rented for 20K per year, the price to rent ratio would be 5. I want to buy a house then rent it out so I'm looking for areas of town that have low price to rent ratios.

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Totally over my head. Carry on Jet

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Have you tried asking Siri or maybe Alexa?

Sajan, Bäumer and Bandwagoner like this.
  8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Use Har.com and zillow.

9. Buck Turgidson

Go East young man.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Go to the suburbs breh. Like down 45 S towards the shitty hobby areas or 45N towards gunspoint.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You should really reconsider this slumlord aspiration. You figure your rent ratio after your balance sheet on a property, not before. No two properties are alike. If you go into this focused only on rent ratios, you're going to lose your ass by being a poor property owner/manager. You can buy a random 3/2 in the suburbs at fair market value and still have great returns if you know how to get the right tenants at the right price.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, it's more about finding the right property than it is finding some magical part of town where you'll net positive returns day 1. Also keep in mind, in some areas property value is trending up, others not so much. That should factor into your little pee-pee game as well.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Look around westbury.

14. YuleC

YuleC Member

Figure flood insurance and a boat into that calculation.