1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden's defense has not been a problem this season. Anybody saying it has been hasn't been watching.

DonKnock and douglasreedy1 like this.
  2. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

There were definitely possessions early on in the first half against the Raptors in which he ball-watched. I counted 3 possessions in a row. But you're right, his defense is not a problem for the most part.

Again, the claim that he plays none or is unable to play defense is a misinformed claim, because the clips are isolated and shown to the world.

I fear people hone in on 1 or 2 possessions he takes off on defense, and make it seem like a bigger picture.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. joomba

joomba Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18432407/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-12-rankings

"Besides that glittering 19-2 mark since Dec. 1, what's helped Houston climb to a season-high No. 2 is the increasing dominance of its bench. The rest of the Rockets are shredding opposition benches by 14.1 points per 100 possessions with Harden off the floor during these last 21 games, compared to Houston's plenty gaudy advantage of plus-9.9 points per 100 possessions with The Beard out there."

Marc Stein pushing "Houston has the strongest bench" narrative to discount Harden's MVP prospect.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

The only way Harden wins MVP is if Westbrook's team doesn't finish in the top 4 (Which I can't see them doing, barring major injuries to the current top 4 teams). ESPN + Co. are trying to promote interest by headlining Westbrook's triple double, what would generate more media hype? Harden - who the media has already heavily criticized in the past for his lack of defensive interest OR Westbrook - who just lost Durant and is doing something another player hasn't done in the NBA since Oscar Robertson?

It took years for Durant to finally win MVP over LeBron even though he deserved it, because of this I think Harden may have to wait to win MVP if Westbrook ends up averaging a triple double this season. This junk about Westbrook not having enough help is completely foolish, Curry didn't have help? What about LeBron (on his Miami teams)? Oh how about Durant?

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

So many people on here are so scared that Harden won't win. Relax a bit and enjoy our winning streak. By May Harden will have the MVP trophy in his hand as long as he and the team keep what they are doing.

6. Fantasma Negro

What streak?

DonKnock and DreamShook like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only good I can count for wb is repping a small town team, but then again it makes me think of how their owners are lying thieves to the city of Seattle.

I guess it's good for the fans, who should worry about a decline from their seemingly destined peak.

That I can sympathize with in the Yao years.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Most people are now saying they like harden's game and the rockets are now being cited as one of the most exciting teams to watch, which absolutely true. At Orlando, they had the 4th highest attendance. People are amazed by how much harden has changed (bs, but I'll take it if it gets him the recognition he deserves). The rockets are at the 63 win mark for a team predicted at 41 wins, and OKC is faltering fast. Rockets have no Allstars around harden and Le Ron has two perennial allstars, and our records are the same and they play in the east.

Also, this year harden is playing almost average defense. Avg defense plus historical off the charts offense = MVP.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Harden has actually turned around his image for this year. Fans are actually enjoying the Rockets this year and look forward to Rockets games. Media is turning around and giving credit to Rockets. Of course there are still some that are still holding onto the Harden doesn't play defense narrative but for majority, people are enjoying Harden this year. It turned around when people realize Harden didn't get on any All NBA teams with 29/6/6 last year which should have been easily on 2nd team all NBA if not 3rd.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. MistaK

MistaK Member

No he isn't!!! These are the Power Rankings AND Basketball is still a team sport. You need a good bench if you wanna go deep, ideally you have a bench that holds leads and maybe even extends them against other second units.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

We've won 8 straight since losing at Memphis.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How is it a narrative when all he's doing is citing statistics?

13. Fantasma Negro

What the **** are you talking about?

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well it is at least fair to note he's citing somewhat confusing statistics.

For example, he's referring to Houston's bench as basically any lineup that doesn't have Harden in it. And that's not what I think of when I think of a team's bench. I think of their bench players specifically. His stats can be PBev, Gordon, Ariza, Andersen, and Nene for example... 4 starters and Gordon.

It also ignores the fact that in his stats, he's talking about 36 minutes on the one hand, and 12 minutes on the other. But because he's normalizing both to per 100 possessions, it makes it look as if the non-Harden group is meaningfully better. Normalizing to per 100 also normalizes pace... and while I get wanting to have pace normalized for comparative purposes, doing so completely discounts the fact that different groups DO PLAY at different paces.

None of which discounts the absolute fact that the Rockets bench is playing fantastic.

I don't really give two ***** about power rankings though.

rlmjdime likes this.
  15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I really hope Westbrook ends up averaging 9.9 assists and 9.9 rebounds.

16. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Too bad 4-0 wasn't enough to win Harden another Player of the Week honors.

17. lalala902102001

If Westbrook (1) averages a triple double for the season (2) leads the league in scoring and (3) gets his team into top 4 of the West it's impossible to deny him the MVP. However I don't see him doing (1) and (3). He can do (2) but that alone will not win him the award. Right now I put Harden's chances of winning the MVP at 65% if the Rockets maintain a top three finish in the West.

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Haha, this must be some sort of anti-jinx thing. We're not powerful enough to change the outcome of these games by talking about them IIRC...

19. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

He has a good chance.

Harden is at 320 rebounds in 39 games. 390 rebounds would have him averaging a triple double, so he's 70 rebounds shy of the mark. I don't think there is enough season for him to make up the deficit.

Harden has 10 triple doubles to Westbrook's 17. If Harden put his mind to it, I think he could catch Westbrook.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aww, c'mon now . . . suck it up buttercup. That's really a stretch. Talk about conspiracy theories :rolleyes: