1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone live in or around the 77084 zip code?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I've noticed that houses in that area are really cheap so thought that maybe crime would be kind of high there. I did a little research and it seems like that place isn't that bad of an area though which seems kind of weird considering the house prices. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nah fam... that whole area got flooded.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I live in that area and there was bad flooding in some parts near Bear Creek especially. Generally it's a good area and there is a ton of new construction going on right now. The whole area between Barker Cypress and 99 south of Clay Road is growing incredibly fast.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I live in 77084 and had zero flooding. But of course it was a pain in the ass commuting. There are some great neighborhoods out here and some that are ok, just depends on what you're looking for. There is far too much new construction out here, they are just asking for more flooding in the future.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I live further up highway 6, close to 290.

Highway 6 south of 529 isn't a dangerous area or anything but it ain't great. As Comets said, to the West you'll find a lot of good areas. And right on Bear Creek would be great too if not for the flooding.

I doubt I'll be leaving my home any time soon, but if I did I might look to Cypress Creek Lakes or Bridgeland (or Towne Lake if I could afford a $500K-$600K house - which I never will).

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This was 77084 a few months ago. RIP OP.

[​IMG]

7. Jet036

Jet036 Member

What about north of there - like Barker Cypress and Little York?

How is the flooding in that area?

Why's that?

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I grew up in Bear Creek and it only flooded 1 time. All of the water goes to the resovoir/park so all of that has to fill up before water pushes back which only happens in once a generation storms.

9. MystikArkitect

Worrying about flooding is like worrying about hurricanes. The area is fine, there are sketchy neighborhoods and Hwy 6 and Clay is pretty ghetto. The commute sucks if you have to drive and there's not many places to eat but 99 and 10 are doing better in that department.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No flooding in that area (Copperfield / Aberdeen). But plenty of flooding north of 290 on Telge.

That south of 529 area just has a lot of KB Home neighborhoods and less than good schools. It's not a horrible area or anything, but just to the West and North it's better (IMO).

11. jae713

jae713 Member

I live on 529 and Queenston. No flooding in my part. The only thing I have heard of as far as crime was when there was a robbery at a smoke shop and the employee was killed. That was like two years ago.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I lived in the area from mid 90s to mid 00s. I saw it change from a majority White Protestant bedroom community to a very diverse urban center. Part of that change included home ownership of 80% plus to now probably less than 50%. My neighborhood specifically had almost no renters and today it's almost exclusively renters. Many of the properties are owned by real estate investment firms. I know this because I sold to an investment firm.

South areas near Barker and Addicks reservoirs, also Bear and Mayde Creeks are the areas prone to flooding but less of an issue as you head north.

The nicer remaining pockets are areas like Copperfield, Hearthstone, Riata Ranch, StoneGate/Houston National Golf Club, and a few others. It's nicer as you get closer to 290.

Cy Fair ISD is pretty good (but very wasteful) but make sure you check your zones. There are some great schools but a few awful schools. Cy Springs for example is a shitty high school but Cy Woods is one of the best in Texas. Because Cy Fair ISD is so big, not all Cy Fair schools are created equal.

Personally if I was going to move back to the area I would find the cheapest home I could afford in or closer to Cypress (Blackhorse and Fairfield for example) rather than find a great deal in Bear Creek. But again watch the flooding because Cypress Creek areas can flood.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you heard of "you get what you pay for " right? Besides, you can always check if an area is considered flood zone or not. And 290 traffic is the worst of all houston freeways.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

do you know any area or neighborhood in Houston that's predominantly white nowadays? Yep didnt think so ...

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

First of all, you answered your own question. Secondly, your answer was incorrect. There are several predominantly white neighborhoods in Houston and the surrounding areas. The Woodlands is 80%+ white. Cypress overall is about 60%+ White. Tomball is 75%+ White. WestU is 90%+. The Memorial Villages area including Bunker Hill, Piney Point, Spring Valley, Hunters Creek, etc... 90%. Nearby River Oaks also is 80%+. Seabrook is 90%+. League City is 65%+. Humble and Atascocita areas are 60-70%+.

So basically there are large sections of West, Northwest, Northeast, East, and Southeast sections of Houston that are majority White.

So all of that leads me to my next question, are you 12 years old?

16. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Thanks for the info guys. And what about the 77064 area? Has anyone lived near there? That seems like a pretty low crime area of town (and pretty cheap).

17. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Wow, I use to live in 77084. Thanks for the memories!

18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

a million times better than when i used to live in 77015 thats for sure lol

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What high school did everyone go to? Mayde Creek? Langham Creek?