1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Well at least you have the self-awarness to see you need to get 'iht done ASAP before your time runs out...

2. VanityHalfBlack

When you guys say memorable characters, you mean like Sarcastic and one liners? You want them to crack jokes? I guess R1 characters are boring, okay you win again Clutchfans. TFA wins!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Spoiler alert obviously.

It looked great.

The characters were really boring to me. Did not care what happened to them, except the new robot. It's actually unbelievable to me that they had a clean slate and did not do better with this. To me the Director failed miserably in this regard.

Vader was SUPER underwhelming. That really annoyed me. But I didn't want classic characters/storylines majorly influencing this one, so I can live with this one.

Story wise, stealing a USB stick relatively easily was a major fail for me. Didn't bother me that a few unmemorable characters had to die. Duh, we're saving the galaxy. Those were anybodies. This is missing the fantasy element with emotional highs and tense lows that Lucas has spoiled us with. Lucas was not a good director of actors, but he was a master of making you feel like a kid with a wild imagination. That was sorely lacking for me here. As a grown ass man, I could recognize the visuals were beautiful, but it didn't make me feel awesome, which is trademark Star Wars for me.

Can't fault them majorly as this was always going to be a herculean task, but they have lost a bit of my trust with this one.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disney Star Wars flicks do not feel like Star Wars flicks. Count me in as pretty bummed.

butterball likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, they are better in many, many ways. 2 movies in, they've made 2 of the top 4 movies in the entire franchise.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

These things are always a matter of opinion, but TFA felt very much like a Star Wars film. If anything the biggest drawback was that it felt to much like one.

Rogue one on the other hand felt nothing like a Star Wars film, which was easily it biggest strength. It was an adult war movie with a Star Wars backdrop.

713, Bobbythegreat, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

That's a bummer that you have to go into a star wars movie post OT with those kinds of expectation. I mean the OT will always be there for you. Wherever and whenever.

mikol13 and Richie_Rich like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

So I just saw RO for the second time and here are some thoughts that I hope people that took a little issue with the film take into account.

I've read where Disney doesn't get it and at least Lucas could build characters. I disagree in this regard...Disney absolutely gets it; the story was much bigger than any one character, it was about the cause, not the individual. Yes Lucas could build characters, it was vital to the success of a sustained story. If you couldn't connect with the characters in the original trilogy, there may not have been three films. So yes, Disney gets it and then some.

IMO all the main characters had their endearing moments without stealing the show. There were moments that you could connect with the main characters by feeling their struggle, it felt very real all while not losing focus on the most important aspect of the film, THE STORY!!

I was actually blown away the second time seeing RO. I had a tough time digesting it all the first time. I really connected with this film. I suggest seeing it a second time and maybe approach it differently. I'm glad RO did not feel like any of the previous six, it wasn't supposed to.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

finally got to see it. last third was great and couldn't come soon enough. i had more empathy to the robot than i did to the other characters, at least in the last showdown, dude was badass. weird watching a star wars movie without the jedi's and the whole magical feeling, which another breh has mentioned.

i had to explain to the missus the significance of this story and who all the characters were. took like an hour getting her up to speed from the prequels to R1. she was confused on who the good guys were, because everyone seemed bad if you don't already know the context.

i'm bummed that the vader scene was only like 30 seconds, since it was the best part of the movie. i had no problems about cgi tarkin, thought it was very well done.

i'm not sure i can rewatch this again tho since the first two acts were very slow.

also, what does this have to do with a new HOPE? i think they could've spend more time driving that point home.

10. body slam

body slam Member

It was pretty good. Saw it in 3D today with my nephew and it made me realize why I stopped going to 3D movies. As good as the movie was it was almost too serious. I would have liked a little humor, but not over the top like The Force Awakens. Still it was pretty good.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I liked it. Some of the best (if not the best) space battles in all the movies.

point regarding weaponry: Anyone else notice how the AT Walkers were very easy to knock out, unlike Empire Strikes Back where the fighter weapons did nothing against them, and Luke figured out the only way to take them out was to trip them by tangling their legs with wire. I suppose we are to believe an updated version was created by the Empire after that battle.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lol yes. That part might have bothered me the most when watching it. But yeah, you could easily explain it way. We invented the force shield blast dampener.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i noticed that too, but was it just me or were they smaller than the ones in Empire?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I have no problem with them being easy targets that are latter upgraded with new armor due to their miserable showing in Scarif. It's something an army would do after a bad result. That one did take a direct hit to the face. Maybe they just needed that armor throughout, as an upgrade.

15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Saw it a few days ago...thought it was aight. Will be the only star wars movie I won't buy thou. Pretty underwhelmed, even with the Vader ass kicking seen at the end.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I believe they were minimally armored cargo walkers and very much different from the ones in ESB. Of course, Luke's announcement that the armor was too strong may have stemmed from his scouting report that they weren't too tough for ship sized cannons.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i know it's been mentioned but it's worth repeating

what was the whole point of having senator organa in the movie?

then the 2 second shot of cp3o and r2d2?

it says that they don't have creativity to write in actual purpose in the story, rather going for cheap ooh's and ah's and applause

Mathloom likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good thing you watched it. But I cannot answer it unfortunately.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Well, if they had sexdroids will your opinions changed then?

Jontro likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1. Jimmy Smits is a beautiful man
    2. Now we know why Leia was the one entrusted with those plans