1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Uber allowed in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I live in Austin but am moving to Houston soon. Uber was recently banned in Austin. Is it allowed in Houston? How much does it pay there?

2. 5KR4TCH

5KR4TCH Contributing Member

Yes, We have uber . I have no idea what it pays.

3. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

My sister drives for them. Oh and my one of my good friends started last weekend. It depends on where you get your pickups. My sister said Uber eats pays really well. But before she would hang out around downtown midtown and the galleria.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Until the day after the Super Bowl. Then they are leaving Houston.

5. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Are you serious? They're leaving for good in a just a couple of months?

6. matt8504

matt8504 Contributing Member

Well as far as them leaving after the super bowl i doubt that will happen. Currently they have an agreement that allows them to operate through the super bowl with the city. I drive for uber and i do not see them following through and leaving. I believe they realize they made a mistake taking a hard stance with Austin in regards to the fingerprinting and will not do that in Houston although that does seem to be the major sticking point between uber and the city.

As far as how much you can make I only drive about 10 -20 hrs per week and have been making about $300/ wk. only rcently got my TNC so now i can pick up in the city limits which is helping to increase that number. If you are interested in signing up use my invite code: FDJZV462UE

Also i have started a youtube channel Uber Houston Matt, where i will be posting videos with info and tips for ubering in houston.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

they have rideaustin there, and yes uber is good here

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nooooo

I wouldn't be surprised though, as taxi's lose major business to them.

I've used Uber in 10 different cities and it's always been better a taxi. Faster and cheaper

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah but you can't carry a weapon while ubering. So Texas is pretty much out.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yes

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, we have Uber, we're better than Austin. We also having ****ing PLASTIC BAGS at the grocery store.

CallMeTheDream, Houstunna and Kam like this.
  12. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Off topic Uber related question. I left my phone in an uber on saturday (actually was sober) and am trying to get it back. I have tried calling the guy through the app twice but just get an answering machine. I have left a message each time to call me back at my work number and have had no luck. Based on my Google timeline it looks like he was driving around for uber all night so I am 90% sure I left it in his car. It is an older phone (S5) with a cracked screen so it isn't like it is very valuable. It looks like he lives by where I work so it would be no problem for me to swing by his house to get it back. He seemed like an alright guy so I am just hoping he hasn't checked his messages yet. If he can't find it and another rider picked it up then cool, I am due for an upgrade. I just need to talk to the guy.

Has anyone had any luck getting a lost item back? Can any uber drivers weigh in on this?

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uber wasn't "banned" in Austin; they decided to cease operations rather than comply with city ordinances. Whether those ordinances were, effectively, a "ban" by the city council is a matter of debate. But, Uber could've stayed in the city if they'd played by its rules and they chose not to.

14. Jet036

Jet036 Member

What's TNC?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Modern ridesharing doesn't work with those ordinances, which is why no one has come in to fill the void.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Guessing that's a Taxi and chauffeur license..

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I totally agree, but framing the issue as Uber being "banned" in the city is incorrect. They chose to not put up with ordinances the city council enacted when they've complied in larger markets like New York and San Francisco. My personal thought is that Uber used Austin as a high-profile "line in the sand" market: a place where people expect their service, but small enough to push around a bit. A company doesn't get to a $66 billion valuation if their business model requires jumping through hoops at every municipal level.

The companies that have stepped into Uber's absence in Austin are all pretty bad.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah true, I agree with you

19. matt8504

matt8504 Contributing Member

TNC is Transportation Network Company, it is the same license that is required for taxis and limos.