1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of the Fossil Fuel Industry - Discussions and Debates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by watashi315, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am not talking about current technology but mostly about technology that is coming down the line, if we cut back on investment in renewable research, I am sure there will be plenty of other countries doing it.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Could we have imagined the computer technology of today back in the 70s? Could the people in the 1911 imagined the space technology of today? How long did it take to develop the internet?

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Battery might have been around a long time, but they weren't meant for storing energy to power a city. I'm pretty sure that's a recent goal. I'm not in this industry, but know someone who has a family member directly involved. If he's right, we are 5 years away from solving that issue. I don't believe it until I see it. Also, I imagine even if true, the oil&gas industry probably have something to said about it.

4. dmoneybangbang

I am a big proponent of natural gas as way to create American jobs and as a good replacement to coal as it pollutes considerably less.

I have also been burned by investing in natural gas so I do have an incentive for it to replace coal.

watashi315 likes this.
  5. Man

Man Contributing Member

Wind certainly intermittent.. can you explain on hydro? Would think it is more recurring in the selected areas of use.

Agreed on the altering of policies. I don't know if the cost of oil & gas production will drop that much more from more favorable federal regulation since prices are already low, but it seems like Trump policies would be helpful for related infrastructure and downstream refining build-out domestically.

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Water pressure powers the dams which in turns creates electricity. The higher the water level the higher the pressure; the lower the water level the lower the pressure. Water levels go up and down according to various factors like rainfall, etc. These affect the amount of electricity produced.

On another note, former Texas governor Rick Perry has been nominated to be the next Energy Secretary. Since he is on the board of Energy Transfer Partners, I'm sure he'll push hard for oil and gas infrastructure.