1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is clint capelas ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSquirm, Nov 15, 2016.

1. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

from seeing capela shot blocking last night and doing great on defense even thought it was against the 76ers what do yall think capela can become. Is it to early to to guess? It would be great of he can develop into a deandre jordan type player.

2. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

I'm a noob too so just a friendly word of advice - no need to create new threads when a discussion can fit into another thread. Too many threads makes the site cluttered. In this case, the thread you want is "Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete".

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

A combination of Dikembe "Who wants to Sex Mutumbo" and Ben Wallace

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know, I think this thread is fine. The other thread is primarily (although not exclusively) a Dwight-bashing thread. It's focus is negative. Whereas this thread has the more positive intent of asking 'how high can Capela go?'

I'm not a huge Capela fan yet, but because it's early and he's so young, I think we can say the ceiling after a 20 year career and dozen all-star appearances would be . . . HOF. Theoretically of course. ;)

Exiled likes this.
  5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

probably 8 or 9 ft if he lives in a regular apartment, but knowing him 12-15 ft in those high end places.

Na, but in all seriousness, I doubt he'll be an all-star. I see him being like a Dalembert mixed with Ryan Hollins

6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

He will never be as good as Deke. He is a poor man's Dwight. He won't ever be the monster rebounder Dwight once was. Dwight is the better scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker when he's engaged.

The good things is he is smarter. He doesn't pick up dumb fouls, or demand the ball to score, therefore less turnover prone.

One underrated stat is personal fouls. It is a good indicator of how many times a player had to foul because he couldn't stop his man. The more you foul, the more free throws you give up, and the less physical your team can play on defense therefore your teams overall defense is weaker.

I guess he is a poor man's Ben Wallace too. Ben could block shots, play D on every position, and rebound like a champ.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He lives in the skyhouse downtown breh. We got CF insiders everywhere. Nothing can be left to doubt.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/met-clint-capela-today.275401/

malakas likes this.
  8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

9. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

through the roof

Shroopy2 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Prime Sam Dalembert hopefully.

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Tyson Chandler

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

He's his own man. Doesn't have the raw athleticism of DeAndre Jordan, but has more skill in his offensive game.

Right now he needs to focus on being a defensive monster. Those comparing him to Dwight are off base. He's not the same type of defender as Dwight. He still needs to be able to rebound, provide weak side support and hold his ground in the post, but his unique strength is his ability to switch onto guards along the perimeter. He's probably at his best paired with someone that can hold his own in the paint and can be in the right spots to close driving lanes...i.e. DMo.

DallasThomas likes this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's young and very productive already, so that's a plus. But he's not very skilled and can't contribute anything on offense besides alley oops. I was hoping he could be Tyson Chandler, but Chandler already had a knack for protecting the rim that Capela doesn't quite have yet. I'm guessing he can be a cross between Chandler and Brandan Wright. Forget the Deke comparisons. Deke on a whole other level defensively.

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I'd be happy with him being a Tyson Chandler 2.0 all we need him to do is to play his role.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cato without the depression issues

Or, Cato with higher BBall IQ and passing ability

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He doesn't have a ceiling. He's homeless and very glad that Terrence Jones is not in Houston

Drogba likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

His ceiling I think:

Rebounding: 9/10
    Positional defense: 7/10
    Shooting: 4/10
    FT shooting: 2/10
    PnR offense: 8/10 for his position
    Shotblocking: 7/10
    Passing: 2/10

Average starter, probably top 15 C. He'll easily be a top 6 player on a contending roster. Would be happy with that.

18. New Generation

I think Capela's proved that he can score when given the opportunity to post up, mostly. However with our offense, that's almost never going to happen, or at least we won't depend on it. Hence why we only see him finishing alley oops, or in difficult situations under the basket via rebounds. I don't think we'll ever truly see his offensive potential released in this team, not that that's a bad thing. We don't need it just yet. But I hope that he is definitely getting his fair share of post ups and isos in practice, so the team can at least see what he's capable of and judge from there.

I see his ceiling being around a top 10 C easily, once he's gotten his strengths and weaknesses in order (another 2-3 years). You can't teach his height, speed, and footwork.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Marcus Camby

Mathloom likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Camby was heady and could demand attention away from the basket. JVG thought SS could replicate MC. He couldn't.

Might CC be able to? I'm not there. Yet.