1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How has James Harden started off the season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Nov 4, 2016.

1. gotsis

gotsis Member

He has been brilliant!

DD

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Interesting. Though I still believe that doesn't reflect the types of ISOs I was thinking of. He isn't dribbling for 15 seconds and then taking step back jumpers like he did so often last year. In fact. I can only recall two or three step back jumpers so far this season.

I have no disgust with Anderson. I'm confident he'll get into the mix.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

DD

!tnaillirb neeb sah eH

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

They said brilliant.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So far this season compared to last he has the ball in his hands way more, his time of possession per touch is way up and his dribbles per possession are way up.

And all we heard last year was he had the ball too much and dribbled too much. Well he's only gotten "worse" in those regards.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He has been!

DD

7. CertifiedTroll

He has been getting a lot of offensive numbers. Wonder if that means the ball has been sticky?

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes but what he is doing with those dribbles is very different. It's obvious he's handling the ball more, he's the official point guard. But he has taken so few mid range shots (that patented step back), compared to years prior. He's driving and find guys, because he can trust more people to hit those shots or finish at the rim. There's also just more chemistry. Everyone is moving for the most part.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I rarely make threads. Why is everyone making jokes on DD's behalf??

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wasn't disagreeing with you just throwing some more info into the discussion.

You are spot on about less mid range, his % of shots taken from 3 ft up to the 3 point line are all at their lowest in his time in Houston.

% of shots at the rim is at its 2nd highest and % of shots from 3 is at its highest over his time here.

This year more than ever he is focusing on shots at the rim, at the line and from 3.

11. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

-______-

12. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

that is NUTS

13. RightTooCensor

Averaging 32/12/7 through a 5 game stretch alone is an accomplishment.

I can't see how you'd leave him off the All-NBA First Team if he wins 48+ games.

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

He has been brilliant!

DD

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He has been brilliant!

DD

In all seriousness though, I hope he can keep it up. It will be harder and harder as teams figuring out our new system and build counter strategies against us.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We still need a primary playmaker though per holic

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

He has been playing out of his mind.
    As in clueless. Err...I mean Khloe-less.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What's funny is that this is the same "Moreyball" that others have been decrying. Midrange shots have their place, but the league keeps shifting to more efficient shots more and more each year.

19. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

It is still early in the season and James Harden will have his ups and downs but this season, he's reminding everyone just how special of a player he is. James Harden isn't going to get the media's respect or love like Curry, Westbrook, Kawhi or Lebron. But there's no denying how great of a player he is.

Last season, James Harden and the Rockets struggled big time. James Harden got a little lazy over the offseason and came back out of shape, which affected his play all year. To top it off, the rest of the Rockets were also struggling and there were issues in the locker room. I love McHale as person and I have mad respect for him, but I knew he was not the coach for the Rockets if they ever want to succeed. Since James Harden arrived, the Rockets never had a real system for him. Because of his greatness, the Rockets over relied on him to beat his man off the dribble to score or create for others. The media and people outside of Houston, even majority of Rockets fans themselves, never realized just how great of a player James Harden is despite last season debacle. Even in his down year, the things he had to do to give this team a slimmer of hope to win games was amazing.

Defense is his biggest knock (I'm not trying to excuse him because he needs to add more focus and effort on that end), but many don't realized how much energy he used offensively just to keep this team in ballgames that he often uses defensive possession to catch a breather. Guys like Stephen Curry, and especially Damian Lillard does the same thing defensively. Curry is no doubt the best shooter ever, and he's a great player but he is blessed with a great team and system that enables him to cruise more on defense. The Warriors are able to hide Curry defensively and allow him to cruise. Also, he does not have to carry his team on a nightly basis, which allows him to come in and play more on his game without having entire defenses focuses purely on him. Having players like Shaun Livingston and Andre Iguodala does wonders because of their ability to handle the ball, score and create for others at a high level.

Even though last season was a nightmare both for Harden and the Rockets, and I was often times frustrated with Harden's play. The Media and everyone had a field day on Harden's turnovers as well. His league leading turnovers was ammunition for the media. But his high turnovers was mainly because of him trying to do way too much without much help. The offense was stagnant, there was no movement, no direction. What made it worst was everyone outside of Harden was miserable shooting the ball. Nobody could hit an open shot.

I heard on the radio when they played a clip of Clyde Drexler defending Harden after the season was over when the media and everyone was constantly attacking Harden. I remember Clyde Drexler saying -- What did everyone expected Harden to do? Whenever James Harden would sit down and rest, the team falls behind immediately by 10-15 points. Then Harden has to come back in and dragged the Rockets back into the ballgame. Dwight Howard was no help, he was pouting constantly because he didn't get enough touches and he slacked off defensively. People don't realized how tough it is for a player to constantly having to play from behind and dragging his team back into ballgames almost every game.-- The way Harden carries the Rockets in the past few years really reminds me of how Lebron used to carry the Cars in the early years.

I know Harden has his flaws and a lot of fans in Houston are still unhappy with him but we all have to fully appreciate him for everything he's done because Harden gets no love outside of Houston. Harden put up historic numbers last year on a down year. This season, I truly hope D'Antoni's system can continue and make his life much easier. The additions of Anderson and Gordon are great because it gives Houston legit 3-point shooters now. There are movement and the offense seems to flow more. With Dwight gone, it seems to lift the negative atmosphere. James Harden playing PG now, the Rockets can actually search for a combo guard or a wing to complement him instead of a PG. James Harden is a special player and he proved that since arriving in Houston. When the Rockets first traded for Tracy McGrady, I always thought that there will never be a better guard in Houston that Tmac. But James Harden proved me wrong.

Daryl Morey have lots of work to do because the Rockets are still a few pieces away from contention and I would hate it if Morey wasted Harden's prime. I am glad Houston signed Harden to a big extension this summer to keep him in Houston longer. It is rare to find a of Harden's caliber. His scoring ability and court vision is almost unequal. He is legitimately a top 5 player.

Easy and duluth111222 like this.
  20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Obligatory DD

Rocket River