1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just gonna ignore the job Romeo Crennel is doing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Clutch, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ranks by football outsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2014
    2016- 12
    2015- 8
    2014- 6

Only giving up 20.9 ppg (11th) and 190.5 passing yards per game (2nd). Where we are struggling is in run defense which makes sense since we lost Watt (and also didn't really replace the loss of Crick).

Even with the loss of Watt and the fact we allocated little in terms of draft picks and free agents this year, the defense plays consistently good. They rarely have a crap game the way the offense so often does.

And let's not forget the offense regularly puts them in horrible position.

He's also doing an excellent job developing the young guys- Clowney, Bouye, McKinney, Kevin Johnson.

If Bill O'Brien is fired over the Brock signing, we have a ready made interim coach. I wouldn't mind giving him a real look at HC either (assuming Rick is re-assigned).

today likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

At home the defense is good. On the road the defense is quite putrid even while playing some not so good offenses (Brissett, Siemian, and Bradford)

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

RAC has always been a bend don't break defense and stats prove that. The issue right now is his D doesn't travel which is very rare and probably more about the entire team not travelling than anything else.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

At full strength, 7 of the 11 starters were first round picks and one was a 2nd round pick. This defense is supposed to be good.

Houstunna, Pen15clubber and ipaman like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They benefitted a lot more off turnovers last year... which can be fluke-ish, but certainly does help to the overall effectiveness of a defense.

They haven't forced as many this year... which may actually be a positive sign as they've still been able to make stops without it. Additionally, they've still yet to face some high turnover prone QB's like Bortles (x2), Rivers, and Dalton.... which may lend itself to some course correction in the turnover department.

I'm actually more impressed with the non first round/non-highly paid guys like Bouye/Simon as opposed to Joseph/Cushing (who clearly have their best days well behind them).

Its also still hilarious to see the amount of criticism this defense gets at times... and yet very few people point out who they're missing.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't trust that style of defense, but when it works, it works. The problem is that on the road so far they've bent and broken.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I agree, kudos to O'Brien for knowing how to select a good DC.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I think that he is doing a pretty good job considering that he is missing the best defensive player in the NFL and the secondary has been a triage unit.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think this is a fair way to look at it at all.

The defense played really well in NE. Brissett burned them on one play they should have prepared for, but other than that they did great. You can't ask your defense to hold up on short fields (fumbled kickoffs) nor can you ask them to hold up when the offense does nothing.

Going into the 4th quarter it was 20-0, which is not good, but 10 of those points came off 20 yard fields thanks to special teams turnovers.

Prior to Blount's 41 yard touchdown, they had held him under 4 yards a carry.

This defense hasn't played like the Texans over the last decade where all you had to do was throw deep and you could light them up. They play well, but it's unreasonable to ask them to watch the offense sputter along for four quarters and pitch perfect games.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  10. Mashing

Mashing Member

I wonder where we rank on explosive play %? I think we rank highly but I'm not sure.

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

RC is a great DC but a terrible head coach. Some people are better served as coordinators and Romeo is one of those people's

red5rocket likes this.
  12. LivinLikeLarry

Yup, just like Wade here and in Denver.

If anybody from this current staff is going to get the head coaching job, its Vrabel.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it seems like we give up very few big plays on defense

14. Fantasma Negro

Exactly but he should be given credit for developing Clowney, Covington, Bouye, Merciless, McKinney, Kevin Johnson. Too bad for the s safety position, Dillon and Drummund looked good before injuries took them.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

More for Covington and Bouye but the other guys were highly regarded and very talented coming into the league. He's doing a good job, absolutely. But you expect that. Speaking of safety, how sweet would it be to get Peppers in the draft.

16. Mr. Clutch

[​IMG]

The Pro Football Focus Power Rankings are based off of Senior NFL Analyst Sam Monson’s ordering of all 32 NFL teams, offenses, and defenses. Monson uses PFF’s overall cumulative grades as a starting point and makes necessary subjective adjustments to account for things that aren’t captured in the grading, such as injuries. The PFF Power Rankings will be updated every Tuesday morning during the NFL season.

Rankings heading into Week 9 – Updated 11/1/2016

Team Overall Offense Defense
    New England Patriots 1 3 5
    Denver Broncos 2 24 1
    Dallas Cowboys 3 5 15
    Atlanta Falcons 4 1 23
    Oakland Raiders 5 4 13
    Kansas City Chiefs 6 20 4
    Seattle Seahawks 7 17 2
    Minnesota Vikings 8 19 3
    Green Bay Packers 9 11 11
    Philadelphia Eagles 10 13 8
    Pittsburgh Steelers 11 7 20
    Washington Redskins 12 12 27
    Cincinnati Bengals 13 6 16
    Houston Texans 14 27 9
    Arizona Cardinals 15 9 6
    New York Giants 16 29 25
    Tennessee Titans 17 21 18
    Buffalo Bills 18 10 19
    Carolina Panthers 19 8 10
    New Orleans Saints 20 2 32
    Baltimore Ravens 21 23 14
    Detroit Lions 22 18 21
    Miami Dolphins 23 28 17
    Los Angeles Rams 24 30 7
    Chicago Bears 25 15 22
    San Diego Chargers 26 26 24
    Indianapolis Colts 27 14 28
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 16 29
    New York Jets 29 31 12
    Jacksonville Jaguars 30 22 30
    San Francisco 49ers 31 32 26
    Cleveland Browns 32 25 31

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

There were people who thought we might be better with JJ going down because JJ freelances too much. I wasn't one of those but I will admit it seems we are playing a more disciplined defense at times. That said I still think we miss JJ in those moments where "we gotta have it" situations come up.

18. Mr. Clutch

I think Bouye and Clowney have picked it up and helped minimize the impact. Shame we can't see this defense with Watt

19. Fantasma Negro

I was trying not to contemplate that but Peppers on this secondary with Kevin Johnson, and Bouye and we might have a no fly zone defense. But draft is based on position, hopefully he "falls" to us

20. Fantasma Negro

We miss JJ on every run play