1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It must be nice to get paid 72 million for an internship on how to become an NFL quarterback.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Oct 31, 2016.

1. LivinLikeLarry

If not Oz, we likely roll with O'Brien's guy in the draft: Hackenburg. Don't see that being much better

2. MystikArkitect

I'm....not so sure. Neither are you. The Texans gave Rick Smith a raise and there is a really really good chance that no one else on the planet was bidding for his services. Don't underestimate the ability of a dumb organization to make a dumb decision.

Ed Reed anyone?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What it boils down to is this...

The kid needs time. The front office and staff knew this. It was the fans that wanted the win now results.

Also, it's not $72 million. There's no way he'll make $72 million. He's probably already missed some incentives. It's $36 million and some change.

When it's all said and done, it's still a decent contract. It's an average contract for a starter in this league. It's also a contract we can walk away from in two years with basically no penalty if we need to.

When I think about Brock, I think about how he has the potential to be good. O'Brien is a supposed quarterback whisperer. Let him whisper for once.

I also think about the irony in that the media and fans love to talk about what a horrible deal it was. I think it was a very deft move by a front office that gets too much flak from its sometimes ungrateful fans.

It was a chance. It was an educated lottery ticket. It still may pay out. The fans are the ones that want to throw it away.

I know it may be painful to watch, but the fruit of the relationship may be blissfully sweet.

I was told by the sports editor of my local paper today, a fairly small paper, serving about 250,000 people in the Rust Belt - "Hey, I think your quarterback is going to be a good player in the league. He just needs time."

Him and I think alike.

While I'm done trying to be Brock's white knight and support him in every argument, I believe in him still.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Apoplectic as a mofo, yes!

5. awc713

awc713 Member

If the majority of Texans fans had their way we'd be stuck with Manziel

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You already WAY overreached and under-knowledged with your "19 for 42 is the worst ever" thread. Just gonna assume you're trying to get some reaction and hot takes in.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem with the "it's only 36 million" logic is that the only way the contract is that low is if we cut him after next year.

And if we cut him that means he continues to suck like he does today

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

...there's really nothing wrong with that logic. If it's a bad contract, it's a short one, if he bounces back and is worth the contract, it's a good contract and there's no story. Whining about Brock playing poorly and then talking about the non-guaranteed money is pretty foolish. If he stays bad, it's only a 2 year deal.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not logic... its exactly what will happen if he sucks.... not the "He sucks and costs $72 million!" rhetoric.

If he's good, they'll pay him.

f he sucks or isn't the for-sure answer, they walk away having spent just slightly more guaranteed money than a draft pick bust... but without the 4+ years you typically have to give a draft pick to make it

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well Eddie, not to pick on him but just an example, said "there is no way he makes $72 million" and he's defending Brock. So the defenders in some cases are assuming he's gone.

There's also a third possibility, he's neither great nor complete suck. He might be average and the team will have to decide if average play is worth $72m or if they should cut an average QB

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hit rewind and draft Dakota Prescott. Boom problem solved.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only if doing so comes with Dallas' O line and run game too. If it's just the QB....not really.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Remember when everyone was wishing the Texans had Sam Bradford instead? Well Sammie is not doing so well tonight against a team the Texans beat handily in week 1.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Turns out without the O line protecting him really well, he doesn't look as good. Shocking how that works.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he's just average, and the team isn't any closer to winning a SB, they will cut him. If he's above average, or more importantly the team is winning with him, none of this contract stuff will matter (much like Ravens fans don't care about Flacco's deal. Or broncos fans didn't mind Peyton Manning making $20 million a year when he could no longer throw).

The cap should be going up as well. Along with the possibility of restructuring his deal for more guaranteed money, but possibly less of a cap hit. Plenty of ways to circumvent issues if the team is winning.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We had him for a pre draft visit and I think his DUI scared off McNair

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damnit!

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did we bring in the Dallas O line for a pre draft visit? If not, it doesn't matter why we didn't draft Prescott.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You add a bad offensive coaching staff to Brock and you get the worst offense in the league. Its not all Brock'S fault, but Texan fans are acting like this offense hasn't sucked for years.

20. conquistador#11

you saw it with stafford on sunday, bradford last night, who gets rid of the ball in milliseconds, when the line is broken qbs start creating pressure that is not there in their head and end up making errant throws. we need to run the ball like we did with 10 minutes to go in the game. our free agent guard, allen needs to show up. And filo! this should have been the season where it started to come together for him.