1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Android Missed Call (and text) Notifications for Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Solved!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Oct 23, 2016.

1. what

what Member

If anybody is having trouble with syncing phone and text notifications on their windows 10 desktop from their android phone. I've figured it out.

Here's how you do it. First, obviously you need to have windows 10 anniversary update installed on your computer. Next you will need to install Cortana for android on your android device.

Once you have that, here's what you got to do.

In your android phone:
    1. Go to settings > applications > application manager > cortana.
    2. In cortana, you are going to see permissions. click it.
    3. Toggle Phone and Sms from off to on. Leave everything else off (if anything is on, turn it off)
    4. Exit.

Next, go to cortana app. (if cortana asks you to allow permissions, go ahead an allow them). Don't worry if you get an Overlay error. Not important. If it asks you to make changes don't do it, just exit. Also, sign in to microsoft, if it asks you to.

Once you are in the cortana app:
    1. click the hamburger menu > settings > sync notifications, and toggle app notifications sync (off to on).
    2. click choose which apps to sync.
    3. make sure that facebook and messages are toggled on. Untoggle everything else.
    4. exit (ps, double check that app notification syn is still on)

Next go to your desktop.
    1. Click cortana on taskbar > hamburger menu > settings
    2. toggle on send notifications between devices (off to on)
    3. click edit sync settings and make sure that everything is toggled on, which it should be.

After that, test it. Send a text to your phone. It should immediately come up on your desktop action center. Also call yourself and then hang up for a missed call. This should also come up immediately.

SOLVED BABY!

2. what

what Member

Did this help anybody? I'm just wondering if anybody was having the same trouble as I was.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I tried to use this awhile back but found Cortana to be a battery hogger on my N6 so I uninstalled it immediately. I don't need texts to my desktop that badly.

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Desktop Notifications app on android is a great solution to get notifications on your PC. Pretty sure it will work with windows 10 and don't notice any battery drain.

5. what

what Member

Do desktop notifications for Android allow you to send a text message back to the person you got a missed call from or missed text from? That's what this feature allows you to do.

6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

No I currently use MySMS and have used MightyText in the past

7. what

what Member

I think windows is a cleaner solution. It integrates into action center. You don't have to open a separate program, find the person that texts you (if you even have that person stored in your contacts, a lot of times you might not), you don't have to install extra software.

I mean of course there is a workaround for this, but I don't think it is a good solution. Plus, the more microsoft integrates with this the better it gets.

8. itony

itony Member

tried it. still on the fence if i care to keep it. is there a way to turn off/change the notification sound? i can see it getting annoying

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Took Cortana off my phone cause of the battery issue, and how badly its integrated with android. otherwise i would love this feature

10. what

what Member

You can, but it is kind of janky way of doing it.

Type "sounds" in cortana and it should pull up "change system sounds." Look for "Notifications" in the scroll list, and change the default sound to "none."

This will affect all notifications, however. Not email notifications, which I think has a separate setting, but things like facebook, news, etc.