1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's already better than the Red Mamba, Matt Bonner, and Bonner was getting minutes on a championship team. Kyle still has plenty of time to get strong and develop.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My thought is he's another Steve Novak

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Nope. Didn't you hear? All white plays must be compared to other white players those are the rules

5. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

He can't get his own shot but who gives a crap -- he's an unreal shooter and on this team that makes him a keeper.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Undecided. Not sure he is ready. Would like to see him in RGV to work on defensive awareness, positioning, and effort. Shooting is NBA ready.

Guys I see on Team
    Nene Capela Harrell
    Anderson DMo Wilt Dekker
    Ariza Brewer
    Gordon McDaniels
    Harden Beverley

Rockets likely keep at least 1 more PG.

7. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

Gotta trade Brewer to the Nets/Grizz (3-way?) and keep this kid around

8. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Wiltjer is a definite MUST keep. Already has an elite NBA skill as a spot up 3pt shooter. A good team player that doesn't hold the ball longer than he should (see Brown, Bobby).

As far as the final roster goes, I like what I see from Ennis as he takes care of the ball and is solid in PNR. If/when D-Mo signs, I can't see us keeping both Prigioni and Ennis though.

CUT Bobby Brown, PJ Hairston, Gary Payton II (sign to RGV)

bacliff likes this.
  9. bacliff

bacliff Member

Wiltner is a keeper. Needs to visit the valley for awhile.

10. kevtse

kevtse Member

I would like to see Wiltjer playing more with the first team in the last preseason game and see how it goes. Harden has been creating many wide open threes for the brick brothers, let's insert Wiltjer and see how he does. More important I would like to see how good the system will be to give Harden more room to drive into the paint with great shooters, including Wiltjer spreading the floor.

11. CertifiedTroll

Look at how we treated Troy Daniels. He was automatic when he was here, but he was a defensive liability at the 2. I would imagine having a defensive liability at the 4 is much worse than at the 2.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not sure what good sending him to RGV will do, from a player development perspective. He is what he will be, imo. I say keep him, though whether that's practical or not I don't know.

Big man rotation: Anderson, Capela, Nene, Harrell, Wiltjer

... where's the playing time for once and (maybe) future Rocket Donatas Motiejunas? He'll have to wait for Anderson and Nene to get injured, which sadly probably won't be a long wait.

bacliff likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

In a league dominated by perimeter play, being a completely liability out there is much worse than being a bit slower at the 4. atleast wiltjer has good size for his position. can't say the same for TD

14. txn

txn Member

just curious, Troy Daniels vs Kyle Wiltjer, who is better shooter.

15. hvic

hvic Member

I have only seen Wiljer in preseason but like to see him in a regular game to see if he can still shoot. Daniels has a faster release in my opinion and take better quality shots.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd like to pair him with Dmo and Brewer and exchange them for a point guard and a rebounder. It's not that I don't like what I see, it's that I see his value as being intriguing for other NBA squads and that my feeling is that he'll never be ready to play big minutes because his defense is so far gone from where it needs to be to play significant minutes.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why he was compared to Novak. :p

18. txn

txn Member

really miss Troy, just sad that he didnt have too many of quality look from the downtown when Kevin McHale was the coach.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Our offense is our defense, for better or worse. So he fits here.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Haha, I don't want a defensive player, just a rebounder. More rebounds = more possessions = more points. ;)