1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Interview: Yao's advice to draft ZHOU QI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kyle7758521, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

That is a lot of pressure from Yao... can Zhou's scrawny ass shoulder handle such weight?

2. txtodd

txtodd Member

Yeah the Rockets were already irrelevant

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Can you post the source/interview?

This would be news to me. I remember reading articles saying that Morey had called Yao to get his opinion of Zhou Qi when the Rockets were considering drafting ZQ, but not the information that Yao wanted the Rockets to draft ZQ to purely help Chinese baksetball.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Someone needs to tell Yao that Zhou has only been drafted; he's still not in a "high competition league." Yao needs to convince Joe to go to Spain for awhile or somewhere in Europe.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He was a mid-2nd round pick, not a lotto pick. Posters on this forum usually have as much success in the NBA as those guys. If it makes Yao happy and gives the Rockets some marketing dollars, why not draft him? And it's not like he's completely without potential, even though I'm not high on him.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Defense is one of his stronger points. He just needs to add mass so he doesn't get bullied down low. I believe he added about 10 lbs from 2015 to 2016 and he is 218 lbs now. He is stuck in China one more year so if he can get up to 230 lbs by the time he gets to the NBA then that would be great. He has a similar body style to Ralph Sampson and he played around 230 lbs. They are about the same height as well. Sampson was closer to 7'1"-7'2" than his listed 7'4". He would still need to gain another 15-20 lbs from there though. 250 lbs would probably be a good NBA weight for him based on guys like Dirk or Durant.

Looks like I've name dropped Dirk, Durant, and Sampson with Zhou Qi....

7. PhiSlammaJamma

We've reached a trade agreement with China that assures not only our safety, but immediate upon signature the implementation of a silent "Z".

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Despite not getting caught, you essentially promoting a life time of pain. Roids can cause recurring cancer because it multiplies and stays dormant in your body for years waiting to attack.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Sampson did not sport a 7'7 + wingspan.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Zhou was a second rounder..... and a player that the owner had a strong interest in.

I don't think Daryl needs to sweat it, regardless of how good or bad Qi turns out to be.

DudeWah and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

So what they're saying is that We should buy Zhou flying tigers jerseys.

12. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

it is just a news poping up from Chinese WANGYI News app. I was also looking whom did this interview, but it didn't say there, just saying in a recent interview.

No matter which side took the initiative, Yao's advice apparently made the influence.

13. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

agreed.
    if Zhou turned out that he can develop his potential, it is a positive bonus for Houston.
    if not, leave him play in CBA.

14. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

at least a chance to compete and grow in a more competitive league though.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So it's Yao's fault that they wasted that pick?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As long as the owner is cool with the GM, he does not have to sweat anything.

We as fans who doubt some of his actions will remember what he did well and what he did wrong, not so well.

17. conquistador#11

great. china is using us a developmental league. thanks a lot morley.

I think it's actually cool we should do the same with argentina, definitely place an embargo on spain.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can he get stronger and more explosive like young Kristaps here?

19. joxford

joxford Member

I'm not sure why anyone would hate this move considering the low risk and high potential reward. I had Zhou Qi ranked in the top 20 of my big board before draft night.
    https://t.co/Ob6RJgHlke
    He could really fit well in Mike D'Antoni's system assuming we have a roster still built around Harden in a few years.

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I bet this kid has a better chance of playing here than Malick Badiane.