1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill OBrien takes over playcalling

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I heard this on Clanton & Jones' show on 790 this afternoon and did a bit of a doubletake when I heard him say what he said, but I guess he really said it. So, we're changing the playcaller even though he's called a ton of offensive and defensive plays since he's been there and most of them haven't worked? Ok, I feel much better now. o_O

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I heard this on Clanton & Jones' show on 790 this afternoon and did a bit of a doubletake when I heard him say what he said, but I guess he really said it. So, we're changing the playcaller even though he's called a ton of offensive and defensive plays since he's been there and most of them haven't worked? Ok, I feel much better now. o_O

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hope we see a huge difference Sunday.

Better run plays, and better offense overall.

Brock needs to do his part, too.

4. conquistador#11

2014 we were still running a lot of zone. allen came from the chiefs, where they ran a lot of zone and has looked awful in the shotgunpistolak47 offense. zone run Blocking scheme is this line's strength not power blocking.

B.O.B saying he's called a lot of plays before and they haven't worked is him diffusing the situation and making it look like it's no big deal that godsey won't be calling the plays anymore.

Sunday is almost here yeay.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah weird way of making his point

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

So after 3 years with BOB nothing has really changed: Our offense struggles, our defense is above average, and our S/T is trash. If we weren't in such a terrible division, his flaws as a HC would be very very apparent. He should split half his salary between Bradley & Munchak, who are making BOB look like Belichik.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don't like that this seems like a panic move and this hardly ever goes well when a coach takes over play calling mid season... I was expecting a slow start with our offense and I don't know why people are very surprised and I don't think you can really put to much blame for the pats game on the O since STs collapsed so horribly.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its hardly a panic move.... Godsey has basically been managing BOB's playbook and there have been valid concerns for the in-game play-calls and ability for the offense to sustain momentum.

3 games is not an insignificant sample to make adjustments in this league.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm not saying its a bad idea to make adjustments but it definitely is a panic move and I don't think its a good sign of things to come... But we shall see maybe we turn into the greatest show on turf part 2

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Making an obvious move that was over due isn't really a panic move, it just shows that they are paying attention.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Not sure you guys are understanding what I mean when I say panic move... They are scared of how the offense is being run and we are already 3 weeks into the season. They are panicking and making decisions accordingly, doesn't mean its the wrong move but I don't think it's a good sign.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Plus I'm not sure how much this helps anyway since I think alot of our problems so far have been simply players not executing

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You keep saying "panic" and "scared" when really it's just accountability. The OC has been failing in his play calling duties, so he's been relieved of them. That's kind of what you want.

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Why does him calling plays in 2013 mean anything from a Texans' standpoint? He didn't come on board until 2014. Is it to say he has previous experience calling plays?(surprising to see an offensive assistant become a HC without it) Is it to say he is rusty? It surely can't be to say he did it for the team a couple years ago so no big deal because he wasn't here.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

All for this until they can get a competent OC hired but Godsey needs to go!

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Whoever calls the plays, it needs to be done much faster. It seemed like it took forever between snaps for something to happen against NE. I assumed it was Brock trying to audible but maybe I was wrong and he was just communicating the called play. Whatever it was, it seemed to take an inordinate amount of time. Is my perception way off here?

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Texans I think led the league in total offensive plays in 2014. (Probably part function of defense getting the ball back for the offense by getting quick stops)

That was with B'OB calling plays. Maybe things will run tighter and brisker again with his playcalling.

TheFreak likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Dear Bill,

You signed a great running back in the off season. His name is Lamar Miller. He has been working hard and doing his best, but the lazy bums you have on the line (I am looking at you Sua Filodoughboy and CJ Fiedowhateverwitz) just aren't opening up any holes. So Miller just runs into the backs of said offensive lineman. So as you change the playbook (a much need move, by the way), keep running Lamar, but try counters and bounces to the outside?

With much admiration and appreciation,

Lamar Miller Fantasy Owners.

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The emperor has no clothes. BOB picks the QBs, the coaches, the plays, probably all of the players too, and we're still on the treadmill of mediocrity. There are worse coaches for sure, but this guys has no answers, and Rick Smith does not either.

It all starts with McNair at the top. For him, 9 and 7 is good enough to keep fans on board and spending their money on fool's gold. Astros and Rockets swing for the fences while McNair keeps laying down bunts.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say BOB knows his playbook better than anybody... why I have no problems with him calling the plays.