1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant, Harden, or Westbrook?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brown Lost It, Sep 29, 2016.

?

Best player of the former Thunder big 3?

1. Durant

47 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. Harden

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Westbrook

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

We know LeBron and Curry are the top 2 players in the NBA. The former Thunder big 3 make up the rest of the top 5 players in the league. How do you rank them? They're all in their prime with Durant turning 28 today, he is one year older than Westbrook and Harden. Considering that, I think this is the same question as who would you start your franchise with because if you think one star is better than the other then you subconsciously factored in injuries and you still think said player is better.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd build with WB.

#SamPresti

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Durant and Westbrook have both gotten injured. Westbrook will probably lose his effectiveness when his athleticism leaves him (one Derrick Rose injury away) while Durant is a pure shooter/scorer and his game does't rely on athleticism as much so his game will age better.

With all those factors in play, I'd rank them as follows:

Durant
    Harden
    Westbrook

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

None of these guys have the "it" factor.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's interesting to me is that of the 5 guys mentioned, Lebron is now the one you'd have to consider most clutch... and almost far and away.

Curry has shrunk in 2 Finals in a row
    Durant and Westbrook have both failed when the spotlight got intense
    Harden is a bit of a ? mark, but struggled against the Heat in the Finals, and had some pretty bad games against the Warriors, and even against the Clippers in the playoffs.

of course, Lebron used to be considered more of a choker and turned it around.

Lebron is clear #1.
    Steph is #2, but I don't think its as clear as the #1.
    I think Durant is #3, but that might be even less clear, given the way he's shrunk in big moments.
    Harden/Westbrook are tied.

Not sure I'd have those 3 guys as the 3-5 guys anyways. Kawhi deserves a look. CP3 should be considered, but he's been more of a choker than them all. But regular season CP3 is legit. Blake was well on his way to being in this group until the Clippers melt down against the Rockets. He was un-guardable up until that point in the playoffs. Paul George, when healthy, is typically underrated. He dominated in the playoffs last year despite losing in 7 to the Raptors. AD had a slight backtrack year, but he's still got to be up there in the discussion. At some point, some coach will utilize him to 100% of his talents, and some GM will get actual talent around him.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Kawhi is the MvP this year. Book it.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Lebron
    2. Harden
    3. Curry
    4. Westbrook
    5. Durant

BigShasta likes this.
  8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Love Harden but Durant is the best of the 3. I'd say Harden in front of Westbrook till he can prove he can carry the Thunder the whole season.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Tier 1
    Lebron

Tier 2
    Curry, Durant

Tier 3
    Harden, Westbrook, AD, Kawhi

oelman44 likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Durant > Harden > Westbrook

11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This, but I don't think the second tier is that far away. Steph is tremendously fortunate to be in such a good situation with a great coach and supporting cast. How differently is Steph thought of if he plays his whole career in Milwaukee? If you substitute Steph with Carmelo on GS is Melo considered a top 5 player in the league? I'd think yes.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

1.[​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I have to say this: Westbrook >Harden.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I have to say this: Westbrook >Harden.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I agree Steph would not get the recognition he gets if he played for any other team besides the Warriors. I hate Curry as much as the next guy but come on, Melo? Curry is a big part of why the Warriors are who they are.

16. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

curry is not better than harden

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Westbrook is going to age like an NFL running back. I would never build a team around him at this point in his career.

Durant by a hair, but ask me again after the season. It's troubling that KD never truly asserted himself as the #1 guy in OKC, and the fact that he chose to play second fiddle to Steph doesn't help.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I really don't know if Melo was a good comparison, but I've always had this theory that player's would be perceived immensely differently if they were on different teams. Melo was a beast when he had teammates and open looks with Team USA. How would Kevin Martin be remembered if he spent most of his career playing alongside Lebron James? Random examples, but I think player's legacies are too tied to the success their teams had.

Red.Glare likes this.
  19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

JR...is on point...all of these guys are beta''s...

Out of all three... Harden has made the playoffs each and every year...Harden's game evolved from being a bench star to a top 5 scorer in the game...
    Westbrook is still as dynamic a force as ever...but he is entering season 10...Explosiveness diminishes with time...He still doesnt have a consistent jumper...
    Durant left the 2nd best team to join the best team...Yes he is far superior as a talent, but he is still in Lebron's shadow...and it is debatable if he is better than Curry... He will never earn any respect for his ring chasing decision in the prime of his career.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

this*