1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt Possibly Out For Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moestavern19, Sep 27, 2016.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Hey Donny, sorry about what I said above. It's a little harsh. Maybe we just disagree on this, and that's ok.

Go Coog's!!

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's great. I play basketball. I know contact happens. I don't consider it contact sport. Neither do a lot (or most) of official bodies either. You're welcome to disagree.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you personally don't consider soccer a contact sport, you shouldn't consider basketball one either.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think we'll be alright if the O-Line and O in general can pick it up. I've always thought JJ is "worth" about 1.5 wins a season but that doesn't mean we concede that 1.5. Someone else can step up (Merc, JD, Simon, Miller, Brock, etc...) and make up that 1.5+. We are certainly trending down toward 9, 8, 7 wins but my prediction was 10 wins and I'll stick with that for now.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. toycannon

toycannon Member

He's the foundation of this team.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anyone who thinks that is probably a thumb sucker. There are studies that show soccer players get just as many concussions as football players.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm not one to believe that there aren't 52 other players and a staff of coaches beside JJ....

but not a damn one of them produces like he does. Texans just riding another great player into the ground. Business as usual.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Christ, everybody seems to want to turn this into a dick measuring contest.

Did you know women's basketball has the highest concussion rate of all sports?

That doesn't make it more of a "contact" sport than football, wrestling, or hockey.

People getting their manhood all wound up in this discussion is silly.

Abide by your own definition of 'contact' sport if you want. Be special, snowflake, IDGAF.

#248 DonnyMost, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Hopefully this is just an elaborate scam for JJ, who is bored of winning the DPOY, to win the Comeback Player of the Year next year.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And unlike you, I'm not going to close my eyes and pretend it's the only game they've ever played in their history. Or that it was somehow more meaningful/representative of who/where this team is than the beat down they put on an 11-5 Kansas City team just four days prior.

You poor thing; I had no idea... Everyone OK?

Let me fix that for you...
    It was 7.5 weeks - but I'm glad you've been able to draw so many substantive conclusions about a situation in which you have exactly zero insight. Like thinking it was four weeks.

BTW, here's what Dr. Neel Anand, the director of spine trauma at Cedars-Sinai Spine Center in Los Angeles and a clinical professor of surgery, said:
    All these armchair doctors... We don't even know if he re-injured the the same disc... But, by all means, let's light the Texans on fire because, for the love of god, we can't have any more ugly instances where an ENTIRE RESTAURANT is laughing at Texan fans.

11. Mr. Motiejunas

Clowney and Mercilus better be ready.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This here. Clowney needs to show us the all-around defender he can be. Mercilus is likely to get more attention so he'll have to work that much harder...but I'm confident he can handle it.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's what worries me. Clowney was already catching double teams most of the time, now it'll probably be all the time and with extra attention available to throw Mercilus' way, he won't get the easy opportunities he's been feasting on lately. I'm just not sure Mercilus is good enough to produce when defenses can pay attention to him much like was the case with Khalil Mack.

15. Granville

Granville Member

Basically BOB's press conference

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is an exciting thing to argue about - far more than the Texans, so I will jump on in.

I thought "contact sports" meant those in which physical contact with your opponent was allowed in some circumstances and considered part of the game (e.g, football, soccer, basketball, team handball) as opposed to ones in which it was generally not permitted at all (archery, golf, badminton, bowling, kayaking etc).

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You know what I think is an underrated contact sport? Sex. Amirite?
    [​IMG]

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol, basketball is not a full contact sport...neither is soccer. Contact happens, but you get penalized by forcefully contacting another player. Rugby, football, hockey, boxing, wrestling, martial arts...those are contact sports.

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

From WIKI..

The term limited contact sport refers to sports like basketball in which the contact is rarer or less forceful.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The common parlance doesn't have the modifier "full" - it's just "contact" and the common sense interpretation of popular definitions seems to match this:

A contact sport is any sport in which physical contact between players is an acceptable part of play. - wiki

a sport in which the participants necessarily come into bodily contact with one another. -dictionary