1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charlotte Riots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I'm on my phone and I saw that a kid with epilepsy was shot and killed by police in California.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

nope, more lies by cop haters

[​IMG]

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know I'm not going to change your mind, but what would you have done in that situation?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's flatly not true. An enemy carrying a weapon is seen as an immediate threat and eliminated. Would you have really felt better if the cops let the guy get a shot off before shooting him? Or rather, do you have some TV version of the wild west in your mind where both men draw at the same time? Maybe the officer shoots the gun out of his hand and they all live happily ever after?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I get your point, but bringing up the facts of his history are unavoidable after the riots and demand for transparency. Why shouldn't his recent past of him buying a stolen gun, threatening to kill his wife and kid, and her restraining order on him be mentioned? His wife said he didn't have a gun in the video. He clearly did and she had reported him as a threat to police who carries a 9 mm recently.

Just because the reality isn't pretty doesn't mean it isn't a factor and that it shouldn't be discussed.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason it doesn't matter to a lot of people is because the real reason behind the riots is a belief similar to this one

7. val_modus

val_modus Member

I have not served in the armed forces, so I'm strictly going off of what I have read in the past on the US rules of engagement in war zones:

"U.S. armed forces were not permitted to open fire on known al-Qaeda killers until they themselves were fired upon"

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You're right that rioters and BLM are/can be misguided, and its hurts whatever message they have good or bad. This rioting is flat out impulsive and lame

It doesn't make any of your talking points any lesss a-holey though

What does PCP have to do with anything? No, being on PCP is NOT a self-submission for death.

This "slippery-slope" snap-profile / permission-for-force is the VERY thing that people are talking against. Because its just very presumptuous and self-affirming as a show of non-empathetic "strength", before thinking out rightful justice and treatment.

Just looking for any bad signs on others to validate that assertion. You can keep adding on to the self-incrimination slippery slope :

- If you're wearing a "White Power" shirt at the scene, automatic gun radar!
    - Nazi emblem tattoo on his neck ... one more scumbag to put a cap in, one less in the world
    - Black Panther / Nation of Islam books in the car ... this white people hating man probably is uncivil, and even if he's UNARMED, we cant have these "disobedient" kind of people around..!!
    - What's this, suspect had an arrest in 2001 when he was 17 years old for gun and cocaine possesion that we KNEW NOTHING about when we arrived and only knew 2 days AFTER - this undeserving of sympathy fella WONT be missed by anyone though...?

#188 Shroopy2, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I've been in a government job (financial supervision/crime) where I joined to protect people and promote my country. After years, I discovered that I was not at all doing what I had joined to do. I resigned from a high paying high potential job that I was very good at. I started in a new industry from scratch, barely made money for almost 2 years. Got married and wanted kids. Now I work 3 times the hours to make the same amount of money and had I stayed I'd be making easily 40% more than what I made when I left. In a few years, I could have retired with a paid off house. I don't regret it for one second.

I would stick to my principles and not work for the organization, whatever the cost, and I would expect whoever I'm with (family) to understand that. I would go flip burgers or make coffee if I had to, because I don't have the need to feed my ego. I would not want to be in a police force where my partner is one of the least educated members of the US labor force, in one of the most dangerous jobs.

If I were one of these cops I would not shoot a guy who I know nothing about except that he's smoking weed in his car, even if he ran, even if he had a gun in an open carry state. I would let him run if he tried, though I would chase him. I know where he lives. If this guy wants to never come home over being caught with a joint, then **** it let him not come home, that's more punishment than what you should get for some weed. I would calm him down with my words, not charge him up. I would not hold valuable any oath I might have taken to an organization that does not uphold its own stated principles, that organizes against its employers (people), and that has recently been shown to have more incidents of unfair behavior than they ever admitted before there were cameras everywhere even if it were within the context of a, alleged media war against them. I would just be working that job to the minimum for the money until I found a way out. I know I would not lose my job for not shooting that guy. I know I would call an ambulance if someone else shot that guy. I know I would have, at least at home, trained myself to be able to do basic first aid stuff in case of an emergency where the cops can't get there in time. I would not put a high person in that position of extreme pressure and danger and horror and expect them to act rationally because I have not insulated myself from that world and I don't believe in the concept of good/evil. I would take a mental note of the wife yelling he has TBI, even if I doubted it to be true.

This all changes if I'm called into a situation where I knew beforehand someone reported to be violent was being pursued or someone with a history of violence. IF I knew beforehand.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Call it what you will, but I consider those pushing a false and hateful narrative that encourages violence to be "a-holey". There are literally riots caused because of the irresponsible rhetoric that flies around after justified shootings in this country if the person shot happens to be black....if they are anything else, it's ignored (as it should be).

Calling people out for that might come off as "a-holey" but under the circumstances IMO it's justifiable.

The fact that someone is on PCP adds to the potential threat. When you are dealing with a normal person the threat level is at a certain level, add PCP to the mix and no matter who that person is the potential threat increases. The officer recognized that the guy was on PCP due to being a drug recognition expert and that changed things because she realized that she wasn't dealing with a rational person under the circumstances. It's not so much that PCP makes people violent, a lot of the links between PCP and violence are overstated. What it really does is that it makes people behave erratically and unpredictably....something that can be very dangerous in situations where a person needs to be arrested.

What gets people shot is their actions. If you prevent police from making those "snap judgments" then innocent people will die as a result. Many more than the handful of true innocents that get killed by police every year.

Several of those things will be factored in when arresting someone. If they have obvious ties to hate groups like the Black Panthers or Neo-Nazi groups then they won't get away with as much as someone else would. It's just how it goes. Every suspect has a different threat profile, but in the end, if their actions are proper, they have nothing to worry about. Being on PCP or refusing to drop a gun can get you killed, perhaps we need to teach children that. I would have assumed that was common knowledge, but I guess not.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

That young man is full of hate/

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At least the video of this came out before we had riots over it.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

**** BLM. Every single one of their supporters.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

****ING ANIMAL SCUMS. ACTUALLY CALLING THEM ANIMALS IS AN INSULT TO ANIMALS.

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

THEY ALL DESERVE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH.

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

**** this ****

17. Shroopy2

Agree that irresponsible rhetoric can lead to bad outcomes.

(Which in America is actually the BIGGEST irony/contradiction) We are in a HOT TAKE, Smart-Talk-Over-Everything culture. Its not just these advocacy groups, its nations leaders and politicians, its social media, its BBS members. Everyone is trying to have RELEVANCE by dishing up SOMETHING and trying to lay a "smack down".

Do NOT AGREE at ALL one BIT that Black OR WHITE deaths by police, or ANY kind of law enforcement approach should only be shrugged off, or is EXEMPT from discussion. Absolutely NOT.

To me its not the racial component, its about the attention on police activity in general.

Lack of attention gives the state and law enforcement carte-blanche freedom to roll out any forceful approach they deem fit. It is citizens right to see how extreme the measures are.

18. Shroopy2

Absolutely having a deadly weapon in your hand while not complying with police is putting your own life at risk. The human police doesnt want their own life to end, so they'll end yours first.

Yes PCP is a terrible hallucinogen.

For sure you do get treated differently if you affiliate yourself with dangerous elements and entities.

But the question is are the police about serving and protecting, or are they about BEING THE LAW and Adult PSA's ("Don't do PCP or our own law enforcement will TAKE your LIFE!") Even if that message IS a DETERRENT that lessens crime, is that a good precedent? Seems ripe for abuse that gives police too much deadly force to play with, even on UNARMED PEOPLE

Being that this country is so permissive with freedom of expression, which leads to people talking and acting "smart-ass", with freedom to criticize authority, which then becomes the NATURAL way that people REGULARLY behave even in simplest of actions, its almost inconsistent to then act all "proper" and "yes sir/no sir" when a police officer comes. No one even the NICEST groups has that kind of 1940's civility anymore.

And its tougher on police too. Does their simple badge earn them THAT much "respect my authority?" Does their authority mean looser use of deadly force in situations? Does someone who is a domestic abuser deserve to die by police? Is ANYONE deserving of death by police?,

But yes... At SOME point it'd be nice for people to look at their own actions, and be honest in seeing if those actions are beneficial or incendiary. Its these are the issues of interest. To me just saying "Black people need to shut the f**k" still misses some key points.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

This fool is out to promote hate.

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

It was pretty obvious who hates who in that video. One side seems to think they have a right to be violent and hate so it must be ok.