1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Jeremy Lin as a Brooklyn Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

When 's Lin's prime? 28-32? So you mean the Nets have no chance to have a winning record with the salary cap flexibility for 4 years?

2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

He didn't just market it. He negotiated a trade kicker. You're the one marketing stories.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you asking me what's wrong with sinking your best playing years into possibly the worst team in the league for money? Just think about that and please, re-read it slowly and envision yourself doing this. SINKING YOUR BEST YEARS OF PRODUCING YOUR CRAFT INTO A MEANINGLESS SITUATION.

There is an alternative. You go for a winning situation, play well at - according to you guys - half the price. So let's say $18m total. Then after a couple of years you sign a bigger contract than $36m and the total sum is greater. However, there is one condition here:

You have to believe that you are going to be good. The only person who doesn't take that bet is someone who is not betting on themselves to be able to kill it in a BACKUP role on a winning team.

I think you're also saying that somehow he has not achieved much till the age of 28 and then in 3-4 years he's going to turn on the "ok now i'll win" switch. That's really an amazing way to look at it. He doesn't believe in himself and he will not have achieved it after 10 years in the league, and then he's going to make it his priority. I won't hold my breath.

Like I said, I know many NBA players go for the money, but me - a guy who has rooted for him 90% of his career, I am not a Lin hater - I'm annoyed that he did this. I wanted to see him succeed as a player and with a team. When you play well and your team wins, even if you're a backup, you get taken care of. Money follows success or luck, not vice versa.

He wanted to spend his athletic prime collecting maximum dollars and taking lots of meaningless shots. Good for him. Not a smart risk/return choice if you ask me. The likeliest scenario here is Lin puts up some low efficiency, high quantity stats and in a year or two gets dealt or is paired with people who are better competitors than he is, and hence will take his shots away. If it's ok with everyone I'm just going to casually stop being a fan of Jeremy Lin.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, you are talking to a poster who is on Clutchfans solely to talk about Lin and has no allegiance or ties to the Rockets.
    There are two of them here, this one is the smarter one, the other is trying really hard and gets really mad if you are critical of Lin.

Ask them where they reside and if they have been to a Rockets game in their entire life.

This section is for ROCKETS FANS who want to talk about other NBA Teams or players.

Basically these are people trespassing on your property.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. mig0s

mig0s Member

lol just stop posting you're making a fool of yourself.
    Did you say the same thing when Harden left Thunder to a lowly Rockets team? He had Durant and Westbrook and they were contenders. What a dumb move by Harden to leave in order to lead the Rockets instead of playing behind Durant and Westbrook right?

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I look forward to the Lin MVP talk after 3 years in Brooklyn.

7. sew

sew Member

Well, he played well enough on a winning team as a back-up last year. He was rewarded with a pretty fat contract.

I don't blame Lin in the least, and I've stated long ago that winning clearly isn't his top priority at this stage of his career. I guess I can see how that would rub people the wrong way -- but 90% of the NBA would do that same thing, so I don't know why you're so hung up on Lin's decision.

8. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

Can't really blame a player for wanting a bigger role and being the leader of a team (whether he is capable of leading is a different question). Also doesn't hurt to get a 500% salary increase...

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are you comparing a 23 year old, 6th man of the year on a contender, #3 pick, uber efficient scorer to a 28 year old Jeremy Lin? Jeremy Lin still needs to show he can be a consistent excellent player. Harden just needed to show he could be a franchise player.

Also Harden was traded for the best offer of a team he would extend with. If Harden were willing to accept an extension with the Sixers, he would be a Sixer. We were not as bad even then than the Nets are now.

NOT TO MENTION HARDEN RE-UPPED WITH US FOR LESS MONEY THIS YEAR THAN HE WOULD HAVE MADE IF HE WAITED.

This is really ridiculous stuff. What kind of a f'ing Rocket fan would say this about our guy who just a month ago sacrificed money to stay here?

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

37 PAGES....WTF???

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm hung up on any player that would do that. If it were 90%, then it's 90%. And I already state I know lots of players do it just for the money.

I don't have a problem with your view point. His top priority is money now, and that's disappointing to someone who was rooting for him to carve out a real career to shove in the face of doubters. All this puff about wanting to find a home and be a leader is ridiculous to me. Like I said, if Jeremy Lin is a leader on the Nets in a couple of years, the GM will be in the hot seat.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Bro I'm not American and sadly I've never been able to attend a Rockets game. I'm still a Rockets fan. I don't accept where someone lives or whether they are capable of attending a game as an excuse for being a bad fan. Just like this guy who's comparing Harden's accepting a trade to the Rockets being comparable to Lin's decision to pick money over betting on himself. Harden just sacrificed money to be a Rocket during a retooling season, and he was league-wide recognized as a monster young player. How can a fan even think something like that?

13. mikus

mikus Member

Your statement is so contradictory. You say he should carve out a career to shove in the face of doubters and in the next sentence say that if he is a leader on the Nets in a couple years, the GM should be fired? How is he ever to carve out a career if he can't show us and the NBA something on a team like the Nets? Is 11.6 pts off the bench as a "super-sub" really gonna convince doubters? If he does >16 ppg and 6 apg this coming year this puts him in the top 15 of starting PGSs. even if it's on the Nets. Doubters won't accept it as proof that he's not a D-league scrub, but that kind of performance is at least a reasonable basketball discussion to have.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Your body has not been in Clutch City, but your heart has. That cannot be said for the others.

Harden knows he'll get paid cause he's a top talent in the league. Lin chose money because that was the highest offer he'd get.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Illogical argument. You make it seem as though he can either be a starter on a crappy team or invisible on a team with someone else starting. You're also assuming that if he's not starting, he's not the better player, which is common but not true 100% of the time. You're also ignoring that plenty of people develop themselves by developing strongly off the bench (see James Harden), which he WAS finally headed towards. Also, people have become hall of famers playing almost exclusively off the bench (see Manu Ginobili).

11.6 off the bench is a sub, not a super sub. It was a great first step to rebuilding his career, then he flushed it. 16 and 6 on one of the worst teams in the league is not notable unless it happens while hitting 48% of his field goals and turning it over once or twice. Anyone can average 16 on 42% and 6 assists with 3.5 TO's on the worst team in the league with no competition from the backup. You can sign people to do that for the minimum.

If he is a real super sub - i.e. worthy of being a starter but coming off the bench - then the GM would NOT be in the hot seat. What's happening is he took the bet that he won't play better than to earn $36m on the worst team in the league. The Nets will not be happy with that. I will come back to this thread when he's traded in a year or two with pick(s) for a non-star starter.

Also, averaging 16 and 6 does not make him one of the top 15 PG's. That is not how success is measured. Success is measured by efficiency and effectiveness. Perhaps he is thinking about it that way, in a very superficial way. Which would explain his thought process in going for the money.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Dude, it's ok to have your views. I can respect that. But you're assuming Jerry Lin's thought process, his next two seasons, the Nets next two seasons, his stats, his efficiency, the rationale for his contract, why he took the contract, how he will be traded, and everything in between. All this to come up with long blurbs on why this may be acceptable for 90% of the NBA players, but not acceptable for you because you supported Jerry before.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Well we do this regarding every player, Rocket or non-Rocket. That's a gigantic part of what we do here. I don't see why I should exempt him from that. I analyze what people/teams have done, and I try to predict what people/teams are going to do.

This is what I think about him and how I analyze him, it's all on the page I don't have some sort of sneaky agenda. The way people responded to me here is more aggressive than what I usually encounter on the board, and that DID strike me as weird, but people have a right to their own opinions and to behave the way they want too. At the same time, I don't see what's wrong with me holding to my principle that I don't like what most NBA players do, which is put money ahead of passion for their craft (when they have a choice obviously). I hold that view towards NBA players and everyone else in the world. I thought Jeremy was in the alleged 10% and imo he's not. I don't really have more to say about that and I'm not up for spending months in this thread repeating the same idea.

Thanks for the conversation.

18. mikus

mikus Member

First of all, I don't mind your views at all, I'm just trying to understand because it doesn't make much sense to me. I get that you think he sold out, but I don't understand what else you think he could do. I put quotes around super-sub because I don't think 11.6 off the bench is that great either but I thought from reading your post that you did. I do have to disagree that just anybody can be signed to do 16/6 as a starter. If you look at all 30 starters last year by ppg/apg, that is literally #15, there are plenty of guys starting who are worse than that, in some cases way worse. Hell, Ty Lawson can't do it and neither can Pat Beverley, and forget that it's the Rockets, I don't think either of those two guys can do 16/6 on *any* team even the Nets.

Lin is a guy who is only above average in a limited set of skills. I don't think he's particularly good for coming off the bench. I picked 16/6 because that seems reasonable based on his career stats as starter. If he does even better than that, then it is good for him career-wise. Another year doing 11-12 ppg off the bench on 25 minutes per game, even on a playoff team doesn't do much for him, in my opinion. Let me throw this question out there, how good does Lin have to do this year on the Nets to be a good move in your opinion? Better than 16/6, individual? The team has to win 35+ games and you don't care what Lin's stats are as long as he contributed to winning? Both, great personal stats and the Nets win more games than expected? Just want to understand what your metric for success is.

19. gambingo

gambingo Member

I doubt the Nets can even win 25 games let alone 35 lol. They're projected to win like 20 games according to Vegas.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

He's not a rockets fan, don't use the word 'we'