1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt Possibly Out For Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moestavern19, Sep 27, 2016.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well something is definitely not right here. Watt has back surgery in late July, misses the entire preseason but he's ready to start the season? I found that to be wonky at best. Then, from the get-go, he's clearly not the same guy out there as he's getting pushed around and handled by one OLman. His speed is gone and he can't seem to make his cuts and swim moves when rushing the passer. Now after being a non-factor in a 27 point blowout he's "hurt" again, going on IR and will be gone for at least 8 weeks. This has the potential of derailing the Texans' season given what Watt means to the defense. Someone posted earlier that the Texans' medical staff is a joke and at this point, I'm inclined to agree. I'm sorry, but this team hasn't done enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt - especially after what just went down on TNF.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My opinion is the pass rush just got better.

You basically replace a 50% JJ with a improving Whitney Merciless who was being tossed in to the middle of the line where he is ineffective. Just watch.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why did you put "hurt" in quotes - do you not believe he's legitimately hurt?

Hey, Nook - remember our discussion about prime time games, and how they drive fans crazy when they lose... notice how many fans have already either forgotten or invalidated the Chief win?...

Nook likes this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

5. toycannon

toycannon Member

Our division stinks, they still can win it without Watts.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/27/jj-watt-houston-texans-injury-nfl-season-mailbag

7. HillBoy

Import the Pats coaches? If only....

As for the t***, virtually everyone had this game in the win column for the Texans even after the TNF crapfest. I just don't see why this is so. This team has shown that it is capable of losing to anyone. Now I question why folks like yourself want to bend over backward to use any excuse and rationalization to justify what we are getting from these coaches, players and organization. Because what I'm seeing is clearly not acceptable especially from BoB "I've got to coach better". Quit saying it, pull your head out of your ass and DO IT! I have had my fill of ineptitude and dumbassery from Houston profession sports teams. It's as if one of the prerequisite requirements for Houston professional sports teams is irrelevancy. And, as long as fans such as yourself continue to accept this state of affairs, there will be no reason for them to change.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Hey Now!

I meant the Titans, because that's the only way I'd be concerned that the Titans were following New England's game plan...

And yet, they didn't lose to the Bears or Chiefs. In fact, prior to the "TNF crapfest," they had won 9 of their last 12 games. What a strange, disconnected statement to make.

*Any* team is capable of losing to anyone - I'm not sure how losing on the road to New England paints the Texans in such a negative light.

Again, they'd won 9 of their last 12. As is, 9-4 in their last 13 games. If you want to have a hissy fit and pretend one game is fully representative of a team, enjoy a mouth full of sand. Prime time games count the same as Sunday afternoon games.

They're breaking in six new offensive starters, two of whom were projected to be back-ups. Their best player was never 100% healthy; their starting MLB got hurt in the first game. And they're 2-1, likely to be 3-1. And you're acting like they're the ****ing Cleveland Browns. Man, I wish the Texans would stop playing prime time games. People cannot rationally handle them.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its really just bill. Many of the pats coaches haven't done that well without him.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Get well soon, JJ, take your time.

DD

12. tmacfor35

My opinion is the pass rush just got better.

You basically replace a 50% JJ with a improving Whitney Merciless who was being tossed in to the middle of the line where he is ineffective. Just watch.

13. Hey Now!

Uhm... yeah, I doubt it. Teams were still gameplanning for JJ Watt, who, given his versatility, allowed RAC to line-up in multiple alignments and formations. That's all but out the window now. It'll be a more traditional defensive front that teams can more easily prepare for and, without Watt taking up resources, neutralize.

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Please take your time JJ.

Our division sucks, we should win it without you but we'll need you for the playoffs.

Come back strong.

This is still our year!

15. Fantasma Negro

16. tmacfor35

Ehh I disagree respectfully of course :)

Watt was bad against the run and lacked the explosiveness. His sack against Alex Smith for example was from the tackles awful pass pro.

Watt was a JAG with his back issue. No explosion, just too much respect. Patriots didn't double Watt as much as people realized. Neither did the Chiefs. Nothing changes.

Now Mercy and Clowney can patrol the edges where they are good run stoppers. Improvement.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cushing is back:

18. dmoneybangbang

Just let him rest for the year. The defense is still above average without him on paper, I am more concerned about the offense coming together. If by my some miracle we are stringing together impressive wins going into the close of the regular season, we can revisit Watt playing in the playoffs. That is, no point in bringing Watt back to get blown out by the Patriots.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Just let him rest for all year. The back injury could be a big deal if a recovery is not 100%.

20. HillBoy

And you've just made my point: the team that you described - 9 wins in their last 12 games, 9-4 in their last 13 games - should not have put on such a pathetic, clueless performance on TNF especially since their opponents were running many of the same plays they were using themselves. There is simply NO excuse for them getting shutout like that or being so anemic on offense that they didn't cross midfield until late in the 3rd Quarter given the so-called talent that's on this team. You just guaranteed Osweiler $37M so he can throw interceptions in every game? Is it too much to ask of them to actually show up and put forth effort? Is it too much to ask of BoB that he stops talking about "coaching better" and actually goes and does it? That's all I'm asking here: play hard and play smart and stop this nonsense of channeling the Houston Oilers. They aren't going to win every game but at least they won't be the nonentity they are today.