1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy football advice thread [2016-17]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by BigMaloe, Aug 29, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, both trades (for Hopkins, for Fitzgerald) were both quickly shot down. I am guessing the guys in the league aren't much into trades (only one has happened, before game 1... some guy scored Brees for Big Ben). reckon I will go with what I have for now... see if I can sign Crowder or Pryor to replace Dwayne Allen and/or Tyler Lockett and see if another wave of RB injuries happen.

What would be the next groupo of WRs? Diggs, Landry, Thomas, Sanders, Floyd, Thomas? Guess one of them is incremental improvement over my Flex and below wides (Wallace, Williams, Lockett).

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Are you going after trades with guys who have good RB's or are playing well?

3. NewRoxFan

The first trade (for Green) the guy (record 0-3) has McCoy, and injured Langford, and TJ Yeldon. Maybe I should have offered more (like Blount and Reed). The second trade (for Fitzpatrick) the guy (2-1, like me) has Forte, but also Gio Bernard and Justin Forsett on the bench.

The guy (1-2) I am playing this week has Mike Evans but his RBs are better than his other WRs (Tate, Hurns, Coleman).

4. NewRoxFan

The guy with Fizgerald just came back with a counter offer. His Fitzgerald and Forsett for my Lamar Miller. Needless to say, I will turn that down. I guess I could counter that again with Gordon instead of Miller. Thoughts?

CORRECTION, he countered with Fitzgerald and Forsett for Miller AND Blount. LOL. Well, I won't even counter that.

#384 NewRoxFan, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  5. tmacfor35

I would do Miller for Fitzgerald straight up depending on your back up running back.

6. NewRoxFan

My other RBs would be Melvin Gordon, LeGarrette Blount, and Chris Ivory. Miller was my first round pick and is double digit fantasy points every week. I'd consider Miller for AJ green, or Hopkins. Isn't Fitzgerald a step below those WRs, more in the Allen Robinson or Marvin Jones level?

7. tmacfor35

Miller has been a par below as well.

You have to stop being a Texans fan and take a step back.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lamar Miller is getting more usage than any other RB in the league. Don't sell low. He will put up some big games.

9. NewRoxFan

Agree. Miller has also gone up against decent defenses. And his special teams failed big time. Now that division games are happening I am more confident his spring improves. I'd trade him if I got comparable talent. Just don't think Fitzgerald is that.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Standard league

Of these guys:
    -1 needs to be cut for a bye week QB
    -1 needs to be a WR3 this week (and a bye week WR fill in going forward)
    -1 needs to be a flex until R Jennings gets back (so at least for this week)
    -Might be able to trade Deangelo for a better WR3

Tajae Sharpe, Tyrell Williams, Artis-Payne, Arian, Deangelo

I'm leaning towards cutting Sharpe, starting Artis-Payne at flex, and then just taking the Deangelo trade if it happens / keeping him otherwise. But am open to thoughts..

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Sharpe is going to have better days but I also think his TD potential is low which limits his production in standard leagues. I'm facing a dilemma with him as well. Stupidly picked 3 potential guys then when Keenan Allen went down I'm left with Sharpe as WR3 and Lockett and Funchess who are unplayable. I made a big mistake there not targeting a more proven WR for depth.

CAP is not a very good back and has to deal with Newton and Tolbert poaching goal line carries.

Usage rates suggest Sharpe is in a better position than Williams to give you decent return.

12. NewRoxFan

Guys woke up at 2am to get first dibs on the hot waiver choices (Jamison Crowder, who I hoped to pick up, and Jordan Howard). Also Simien snapped up). I will take the flyer that Pryor's not just a one time flash. But two players were waved and wondering if either would be worth a pickup (I guess available Oct 1): Ware and Sanu. I know Ware will get less use now that Charles is back. And I think Sanu is hurt? But both seem like decent players... worth trying to pick up?

Additional: I dropped my backup TE (Allen) for Pryor, and will drop Lockett for the next waiver pickup. If Sanu isn't worth dropping Lockett, would Anquan Boldin?

#392 NewRoxFan, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

In here for the first time. Saw the Fitzgerald-Miller trade recommendation. Leaving quickly....

14. NewRoxFan

Thoughts on Chris Ivory as later in year play versus Kenneth Dixon?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lotto tickets, man. Accumulate as many RB's as you can roster and cross your fingers. It's volatile and nobody can predict any of it + matchups change. Nobody has the right answer for you.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Saw the talk about trading Blount while his value was up. He has been riding the bench behind Melvin, Gurley, and Ingram. Offered Blount and A. Cooper for Deandre. Rejected but he countered with Dez for Blount. I accepted quickly and hopefully can use Dez as a piece in a bigger trade later.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

hopefully the MRI comes back ok for Dez's knee though. Dallas is being pretty cautious with it so far.

18. tmacfor35

Well I am in three leagues and first in all three.

Miller in a standard league behind a bad offensive line that can't run block, nor does he have a QB who has shown he can execute in the end zone. He is not a great fantasy option. It also comes down to depth and the poster has the depth to pull a trade like that considering his RB group. His depth can replace the scoring Miller offers and Fitz increases his WR potential significantly. I would have done it in his circumstance.

For Instance I am loaded at RB in one league with Matt Forte, Isaiah Crowell, and Lev Bell(untouchable). I can afford to waiver wire on bye weeks and ship one of the two out along with Dez Bryant for Julian Edelman(I am choosing Crowell who has over performed last two weeks). That is how you win fantasy leagues.

19. tmacfor35

Dez is a tough call. His success pends on Romo's return.
    Dak likes throwing the ball to Witten and Cole Beasely.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you don't understand Zero-RB theory, you just ain't up on thangs.

Trading Lamar Miller for Larry Fitzgerald is not good advice. RB opportunity scarcity puts a premium on the ever-declining true lead-back position.

Clear bellcow RBs in the NFL right now with bulk of carries and red zone preference:

LeGarrette Blount (Usage expected to decline when Brady returns)
    David Johnson
    LeSean McCoy
    CJ Anderson
    Melvin Gordon
    Matt Forte
    Lamar Miller
    DeMarco Murray
    Todd Gurley
    Zeke Elliott
    Le'Veon Bell (Presumably)

End of list.

These are your 11 workhorse RBs who are certain to get bulk carries if healthy. In a volatile position, you are lucky to own 1 of these backs. Did you draft Matt Forte or Blount? I did, and I didn't have to waste a 1st rounder to get them either. Murray and Gordon are the only other backs you could have gotten after round 3.

Larry Fitzgerald is a 33 year old WR2 who tends to fall off as the season progresses. He caught 6 TDs in the first 5 weeks last season and then only caught 3 the rest of the year. His production dropped significantly last year as the season went on.

Astrodome and YOLO like this.