1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. val_modus

val_modus Member

D Wade, LeBron, CP3, and Melo come out and give a well articulated speech about police brutality during the ESPYs, and people forget about it after two days. Collin K takes a knee and spurs a national conversation about our state of policing as a nation that looks to have some long term positive effects with regards to open minds coming together for solutions like police training, body cams, community outreach, etc.

What a disrespectful, America-hating thug that Kap is... We need more Trump to bring this nation together.

Air Langhi likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The "national debate" is about how Colin Kaepernick is an entitled disrespectful douchebag....I'm not sure how that has "long term positive effects", but okay.

3. val_modus

val_modus Member

You are not listening.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you don't realize that's what the conversation has really been about, perhaps it's you who isn't listening. I mean I know some REALLY bought in to Kap's publicity stunt, but most saw it as just that. Disrespecting the flag and by extension the country because some criminals were rightfully shot by police is just stupid......unless you stand to profit off of stupid people who would support such an action.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

Regardless of what you think his intentions are, I have witnessed on several occasions over the past week, people having meaningful conversations regarding how policing is carried out in America compared to other countries, and how seriously backwards our prisons are.

If the price for getting people's attention to discuss issues that affect a large portion of our citizens is not standing for a random salute to our flag that we oddly only do at sporting events (a tradition carried on after wars to spur patriotism during baseball games) and not anywhere else in our society (like school, funerals, work, etc) then so be it.

The man is more of an American for embodying one of the foundational blocks of American life, which is civil disobedience and free speech/expression, rather than falling in line with tribal activities.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm amazed the civil rights movement worked at all . People must have been smarter overall back then . The amount of resistance and criticism this dude has received from his protest is sickening .

Maybe it's the media causing people to view things in a certain way ?

Anyone that was alive in the 60's can tell me what it was like when people protested? Did people look down on protesters and criticize the way they protested ? Were those people the racists who stood to lose their way of Dominance and life ?

The national anthem is not sacred . Real patriotism is so much more than honoring the anthem .

Can governments even make policies that change people's morals ?

How long is too long to ask marginalized groups to put their heads down and work harder ?

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The same civil rights activists that supported Kap for not being silenced and using his free speech are the same people who are criticizing kap for using his free speech to call out Hillary's phoniness. I guess people these days only support someone if they have the same opinion as them.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Never had a problem with Kaep's peaceful protest and I was surprised by the amount of backlash from it.

I think he's been vindicated through other players, teams, and sports showing support for a form of peaceful protest that he initiated.

Good for him -- and for him to do it in the face of so many threats, insults, etc.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem here is that you seem to believe that he has some kind of valid cause. He doesn't, and the numbers support that. Anyway, it's cool that you buy into that BS and if I was that naive, I might agree with you.

LonghornFan likes this.
  10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's been going on since the 1980s.

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

An entire community of black Americans are just making up their struggle with law enforcement over the last 40 or so years. Talk about naivety.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I just really do not care about Kaepernick and his taking a knee.... it doesn't really change anything. None of it really does. It is easy to pin the problem on racist cops or thuggish black people. The real issue is wider than that and far more complicated and nuanced.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It is not that they are making it up, and more like they generalize based on a limited number of incidents. Combine this with the fact that some negative interactions have nothing to do with the cops doing anything wrong, and you have a recipe for people believing there is a huge problem where there is likely a small one. If a black guy, for instance, is drunk and disorderly, then resists arrest when the cops come and gets an ass whipping while he is being detained, that is not something the cops have done wrong, but he will likely not have a favorable impression of cops. If the media puts out a story about a "gentle giant" being killed despite being unarmed, just for walking in the street, that is going to create a negative impression of the police, even if it later turns out that said "gentle giant" was on his way from robbing a convenience store and assaulted the officer who shot him. Put together enough events like these, and the black community is going to have a very negative view of the police.

That fact is that the narrative that police are out there shooting black people as if their lives don't matter is a false one. The number of unjustified shootings of black people by the police is a handful, statistically insignificant. There are hundreds of things more dangerous to black people than the police, number one on that list for young black males is other young black males. There are going to be some racist law enforcement officers, just like there will be racist lawyers, doctors, firemen, janitors, basketball players, and homeless people. There are not going to be huge numbers of them, and the number of them that act on that racism to harm black people is going to be even smaller.

okierock likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one said they were "making it up" I'm suggesting that it is exaggerated when it comes to the last 20 years. Of course there are still incidents, but every single one of them is blown completely out of proportion and these days any time a black man is shot by police, it seems to be excuse to riot even if it was completely justifiable.

Once upon a time, it might have been a legitimate cause....but it's not that day anymore.

15. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I can't believe people still have their panties in a wad over this protest. Go outside and calm down.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Really the police brutality issue isnt even new. Only black people talking about it under a new group name in the social media world is new.

White people (mostly white) for YEARS have sources like Cop Block, with over 1 million likes on Facebook. And the "Flex Your Rights" community, well before BLM.

In a way Cop Block and Flex Your Rights might be early influencers of BLM. And in some ways Cop Block is WORSE because some of the leaders are ANARCHIST and civil disobedient as well. (You'll find 50 times more outright "F**K THE POLICE" displays in Cop Block than in BLM)

Cant say white people dont have a channel, its whites and blacks seem to mobilize differrently. BLM did make it about race, though BLM includes all black oppression under its umbrella, not just cops. So it brings a bigger black voice.

Personally I don't find BLM and Cop Block too appealing. Flex Your Rights makes more sense. Its black people feel more community anger and express it outward as much as they feel it. And black people tend to mobilize when they REALLY have the frustration (And the NEWS likes to cover racial issues too)

You can fault a group for appearing centered on their own interests and not others. You can fault a group for acting out too violent. But you can't fault a group for expressing issues about itself. (Even white people about themselves),

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now this is hilarious.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-not-salute-national-anthem-article-1.2810023

It's cool for Kap to go full r****d because he's just a garbage ass civilian....I mean, it's almost expected. It's absolutely NOT okay for a military member to go full r****d and disrespect the country. I truly hope they throw the book at her, that kind of stupidity shouldn't go unpunished. A short stint in the brig and a dishonorable discharge as an E-1 sounds about right to send just the right message to anyone else considering embarrassing themselves in a similar manner.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Doesn't she surrender most of her civil rights when she joins the Navy? It seems like she was in clear violation and doesn't have much to stand on. I hope they don't go soft on her.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much. When you join the military you are property of the US government and subject to UCMJ which means you don't have a LOT of rights civilians do. Odds are unless the president steps in they'll make an example of her and throw the book at her.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Message to the messenger still resonates...

I miss Gil Scott Heron...

mdrowe00 likes this.