1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; I understood the trade and to some degree, supported it - if they were going to deal for a closer, he was a much better option than Chapman or Kimbrel, based on age, salary, contract...

But I just didn't think the bullpen was a glaring need; certainly not over the hole-filled everyday line-up. The Giles deal, like so much of what they did this winter, felt like an overreaction to September/October. Hopefully, they'll approach this winter with greater perspective.

SWTsig likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros saw their bullpen melt down late in the season last year and again against the Royals in the playoffs. The Astros should have won that series but didn't.

I get the owner wanting a closer and I even get why the Astros targeted Giles. It wasn't a secret the Astros coveted him. However, as is the case sometimes in baseball.... it hasn't worked out like most expected. Giles has upside, but he had a poor season and I have no confidence in him closing going into next season.

I don't think the budget would allow for it, but it would be nice if they could sign Melancon and have Giles, Harris etc in the mix. Try Devo in the rotation and trade McHugh or put him in the pen.

3. toycannon

toycannon Member

We should have gotten Miller from the Yankees!! I wanted him before the season instead of Giles.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Interestingly, I think the Astros drew an equally simplistic conclusion. They seemed to oblivious to the fact that their bullpen - a strength for 90% of the season - simply wore down. And that's because they worked their asses off April-August to make up for a deficient rotation. They had two consistently effective starters last year; three once McCullers joined - but, remember: he only made 22 starts. And they were decidedly worse in September, combining for a 4.31 ERA, including a 6.52 for Kazmir.

So, yes - the bullpen faded. But strengthening the rotation might have effectively killed two bids with one stone. (And this is with hindsight on my part, as I didn't believe starting pitching was a priority. But even then, I didn't think throwing resources at the back of the bull pen made a ton of sense.)

And don't forget Correa turning an inning-ending double-play into what was really a 3-run error. He turns that and they head to the B8th leading 6-3.

Again, every move the Astros made in the offseason seemed rooted in small sample size (ie September/October).

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

After this season, I have even less confidence that Harris, Gregerson or just "anybody" can handle the closer position.

Giles had a 9th inning sample size. He also had the strikeout numbers, something this bullpen was lacking. Still extremely raw... Figuring out pitch sequencing and execution of the slider consistently.

I doubt there's a better internal option right now. I also think resources will be applied elsewhere prior to the bullpen.

6. toycannon

toycannon Member

There still a chance...we need to run the line or at worst 4-1 and teams like the Seattle and Tigers go 3-3 and Orioles go 1-5. Who holds the tie breaker if all 4 teams have the same record at 86-76?

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

I still don't think anything was/is wrong with the Giles trade. They traded away what will likely amount to junk. Took a shot on a club-controlled potential stud closer. I'm not saying the trade is lost by ANY means, but, you win some, you lose some. They took a sensible gamble.

Closers blow saves. If it weren't for Giles' mindbogglingly bad spring/start to the season, his shakiness at the end wouldn't have been as pronounced. It also didn't help that he had virtually zero margin for error down the stretch (after really finding his groove). every single game being virtual "must-wins" makes every baserunner he puts on and every lead he blows stand out way more than they would for a front-running team like the cubbies or rangers.

In the end, closer is the least of this teams concerns, and an overstated problem, imo.

We need another TOR starter (maybe two), another huge bat (most likely two/I think the offense is a way larger problem than most), and perhaps most importantly, a manager with a brain. Even in this up and down, complete mess of a season, a manager who has a clue gets us to the postseason (or doesn't impede us from getting there, like Hinch has). Say what you want about that lunatic, but pretty much everything Cangrejero ever said about Hinch was right.

Oh, and Pettis should've been gone a year and a half ago.

kaleidosky, mick fry and Rodman23 like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yuli a DP machine

9. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Sign Encarnacion and Josh Reddick. Trade anyone not named Altuve, Springer, Correa, Bregman for a pitcher or two. I'm down to replace Hinch, but who is available that can take this team to the next level?

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Would have been no question about being safe had he not slid.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Bregman is a badass. Going to be fun to watch this guy.

And what a rally!

13. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

We have Felix figured out.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jake defies conventional wisdom. ;)

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

correct, but he also avoided a potential collision (Lind and Felix running right at base at same time) and tag if Lind found a way to reach across the bag before Marisnick got there

Man, this is a fun inning/game. Only wish it meant more...one can only hope.

16. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Alright bullpen, don't screw this one up.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A collision would have scored Kemp. :)

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Man that was fun... turned it on right as the bottom half was getting started. Loved seeing bregs get a pinch hit in his first AB in 2 weeks.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Never trust Hooters to have non-national broadcasts.

If you call ahead, ask for the manager... do NOT trust the waiting staff.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member