1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

How many changes of scenery do you get before you are who you are?

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Hard to say. I don't think there are any good available candidates now. Tom Herman is the hottest up and coming coach, but I highly doubt he's leaving UH.

Les Miles is a coaching anomaly to me. In my opinion, his record doesn't reflect his coaching ability. LSU seems to win games in questionable fashion in spite of him. I think we'd just spin the wheels if we chose him over Strong.

3. Buck Turgidson

He was literally the exact (and I mean this in the literal meaning of literally) same coach at OkSt, just he had less talent. UT can do better.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Got any examples of this? Not saying you're wrong but can't think of any.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like to believe that too, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew names. We're not getting Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh. Only other coach that seems to be worth it is Herman. Seems there will continue to be a lot of competition for him. Jimbo Fisher isn't coming either. Can somebody give me comfort with some available coaches who can get it done for UT?

Bobby Petrino has his troubles, but man - he keeps getting results. He may look like he has no character, but come now - everyone should know Strong is great at branding Values but he wasn't exhibiting those values when he was banging the Louisville booster's wife behind his own wife's back. CFB coaches are powerful men with huge egos - you aren't going to find many of those who live a monk's life.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haha, I really don't. But I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be. LSU's been longing to fire him. He has won a title though at least, and I'd rather bring in someone that has been proven winner as a HC. There aren't very many of those to choose from out there. Dabo might be a guy, but does he leave Clemson for Texas?

7. Buck Turgidson

David Shaw, Gary Patterson, Tom Herman, (head coaches); take your pick of coordinators etc....

8. oakdogg

I don't have confidence Shaw, Herman, or Patterson would come here. One could be picky and say Patterson's last few years of success have been due to offense, and Patterson has little to do with the offense.

Coordinators are the guys I don't know about, so it would be cool to hear about some coordinators on the rise. Even so, I don't think big programs bring in a coordinator without head coaching experience to be their head coach.

I do think we're wasting time with Strong. But if we don't replace him with a legit elite coach, we are stuck with another wasted 3 years with a new, mediocre coach. Mediocrity treadmill

9. Bob Barker 007

For coordinators, I am a fan of Todd Orlando, Herman's Defensive Coordinator.

Now the dream scenario:

LSU hires Kevin Sumlin

Texas fires Charlie Strong to join the Tom Herman sweepstakes

Tom Herman is hired by UT

A&M hires Art Briles

UT pays off UH to keep quiet

UH joins the Big 12

10. Buck Turgidson

I don't believe that to be true at all. He had great success before he realized he needed to open up the offense 3 or so years ago, he's a defensive wizard first and foremost. Give him real talent and watch what happens. Just my opinion.

I will go to my grave saying that his last 1-loss team (2? years ago, they lost to Baylor and then they both got shut out of the playoff) that kicked the everlivingf*** (as badly as a good team can possibly kick the **** out of another good team) out of Ol Miss; that was the best football team in the country that year.

11. gucci888

Like who? Of course we'd want a legit elite coach. But there are only a handful of them and the opportunity to snag one doesn't come around very often. And it doesn't matter how big of a program you are either really.

IF we decide to move on from Strong, Texas needs to have their guy all but signed on the dotted line. Obviously it's easy to say but joining the carousel with everyone else has not worked out for a lot of big schools the past couple years.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do us a solid and hire Les Miles or something.

13. gucci888

Your thoughts on Herman to LSU potentially?

But whatever it is, I think we'll find out who Strong really is this week. Coming off an embarrassing loss, 2 weeks to prepare for conference play, and a vow to fix the defense. Really thought this team was turning the corner but seeing how bad ND, UTEP, and Cal are, I'm really back at square one.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Little to no concern about LSU.

UT and Ohio State jobs, and possibly USC, are on my "oh crap" list when they come available.

15. Buck Turgidson

Love to help you out, but a big "no thanks" on that.

Miles would be a great coach at OkSt....oops....Tech?

16. oakdogg

Your first paragraph is basically a repeat of my prior 2-3 posts. That was my point. I don't think Strong will do the job, but I'm not seeing anyone else I'm confident in that I'm confident we can get either. I do know one thing - unless we have an elite head coach, we aren't getting where everybody here wants us to be.

17. gucci888

And my question to you is who do you think we could get? If you're not confident that we'd get anyone better or just be stuck on the mediocrity treadmill, do you still want to go away from Strong?

18. oakdogg

Oh, I was trying to confess that I'm not an expert on the lesser known coaches, so I was trying to seek out the expertise of some of the more knowledgeable posters.

But...if I had to make a choice on the little info I know, I would go all in for Herman if we had indications we could get him, which we should be able to.

Otherwise, I guess it'd be better to stick with a non-elite coach for one year (Strong) than commit to another non-elite coach for three years.

I am hoping there's some rising coach I don't know about (Herman a few years ago) we could go after. Don't know anybody though.

Your leanings?

19. gucci888

Not the biggest fan of Strong either but equally worried about just jumping back on the coaching carousel. Like you said, not getting the right guy can set your program back for 3 years. And when I look at Sarkisian/Helton for USC, Rodriguez/Hoke for Michigan, Willingham/Weis at Notre Dame, the cycle can be pretty vicious.

I'm not ready to give up on Strong but just for sake of discussion, its Herman or bust for me.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Do not fire a coach until you find a good replacement. I do not think Les Miles is a good coach anymore, he could be too old to be good anymore.