1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch, can you instill some avatar rules?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DudeWah, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i like the avatars if people use them properly. it adds a bit of character.

2. Vienna Calling

A wild, random mix of pictures creates a wild, random visual character, imho. I can't say I like that. But maybe that's just me.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I had the foresight 14 years ago to choose a username that would have a bunch of ready made avatars for it. :cool:

bnb and Harrisment like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If we could hide some individual avatars that would be nice. Is that something that is possible?

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep, I'm a no avatar kind of guy. Makes it touchy at work. even if the pics are PG.

Vienna Calling likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

can we has a forum designated for teh secksy avatars pls?

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Help Wanted!

do y'all like that?

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Still for sale, but a little leaked out. Just sayin'.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

dudewah is scared of girls

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's too bad. I'll just put on ignore the posters with avatars that for whatever reason annoy me.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

In your user control panel area(hover over your username at top-right>>>privacy), there are checkboxes that hide your online status and current activity right at the top of the privacy settings page

Deuce and Bandwagoner like this.
  12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I meant the indicator of other users.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we have avatars. Some are quite inventive and even amusing. Some are images of the actual person/member, like mine. I'm more bugged while reading by the red and white "blank" spots where an avatar isn't being used, and I suspect that Clutch wouldn't mind those being filled by the members who haven't bothered with avatars. It makes a page much easier to view without those "stop signs" busting up the look, in my opinion.

My real question to Clutch would be this - can members be prevented from copying another member's avatar? Is there some software in place that prevents that? I can see it becoming a potential problem going forward, if that isn't the case. An avatar should be unique to the individual that has first used it and kept it, in my opinion. That places importance on selecting an avatar early if a member has something in mind. Food for thought, if no one has mentioned this yet.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Deckard
    Rather than a single default "blank" avatar of a white silhouette on red background, would be *very* cool (imho) if Clutch could choose defaults for unused avatars, based on some type of rating system -- like Rookie to Hakeem.

example, give a Rookie avatar to someone who is a rookie and stubbornly doesn't make a custom avatar. Then ideally there are defaults for more status levels like the previous Rep levels: Tyus Jones to Bev to Ryno to Drex to Yao to Hakeem

I'm willing to bet stubborn posters who won't make a custom avatar like Clutch is hoping, will be more likely to do so if the one chosen for them is a Rockets player who is not their favorite.

Heck, you could make the Default Avatars hated Rivals of the Rockets, too. If you really want ppl to create their own custom one.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting thought. I guess the avatars would be based on "Likes," since that seems to be the pertinent metric now. I would suggest that instead of being based on players used for the traditional Rep levels, that Clutch use less well known Rockets from the past. Rookies, for example, could have an image of one of our blown #1 draft picks (there are several to choose from, naturally), with the top spots filled from our stars that more recent fans might not be familiar with, at least as players. In no particular order, players like Elvin, Calvin, and Ralph would be cool. Important players, "ruined" by being Hell in the locker room, or because of a scandal later in life, or by the "i' word, or by walking away from the team at the worst possible time (Max as a "mid-level" player). I'd enjoy seeing those images, and heck, some members might end up preferring them. Controversial, but important Rockets from the past. I'm sure I'm forgetting several who would fit that description. Just a thought.

#35 Deckard, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Deckard

Now we're talking

Even if default avatars can only be associated with a member's status, you'd still have three needing image assignments: Rookie, Member and Contributing Member