1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

These St. Vincent players are mad dirty.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

#82 SwoLy-D, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

With T&T's tie vs Guatemala, the US have essentially clinched a spot in the next round. The first tiebreaker is goal differential. Should we lose to T&T on Tuesday, Guatemala would has to make up and best a current 12 goal difference. While T'm sure they'll score plenty of goals against St. Vincent, I doubt that can be made up.

In Group 1, Mexico has clinched. Honduras can clinch with a tie or win over Mexico. Canada can pass Honduras with a win against El Salvador and making up the 5 goal difference between them and Honduras.

In Group 2, Costa Rica and Panama have clinched.

On the US game...Yes, we scored a 6-0 victory but it wasn't without it's problems. St. Vincent had 2 goals called back that were offside but not by much. Sloppy defending at times by Acosta and Yedlin wasn't helping. There was little that came through the central midfield with both Jones and Bradley out for this one. I would love to see Sasha Kkjasdfklaj;lkmcthan;!l;as;an get a chance to start with Bradley on Tuesday. Klkjasdjkfhalnc has been playing very well of late and looked great yesterday...especially with how well he hooked up with Pulisic (who also earned the right to get a start). Zusi and Altidore were bad. I know the field conditions weren't the best but their 1st touch was horrible (as usual for Altidore). Wood should've had 2 but he just mi**** one that would've give us the lead much earlier.

This is one of those damned-if-you-do games. Yes, they won exactly how they should've won against essentially an amateur team. But they can't take too much from it other than the guys that didn't play well (IMO...Altidore, Zusi, Johnson, Yedlin, Acosta). I don't think any of those guys earned the chance to start again...but I'm sure Kinsmann will go with most of the same 11 (they've already said Howard is going to start in the net).

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I so really want Honduras out and Canada in. I hope Mexico can at least put 2 or 3 in and then Canada has to go to work.

5. leroy

I'd like to see that, too. Don't have anything against Honduras but I would like to see Canada continue to build it's program. The MLS has possibly done more for the Canadian program than it has for the US. They've become clearly better than where they were just 5-10 years ago.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So if the USA wins we win the group stage, is there any advantage to that in the hex?

DD

7. leroy

I think it just means we open at home and won't play at Azteca in the first game. Personally, I'd rather they play there early. Get it out of the way during cooler months.

8. DaDakota

Really like our young up and coming players.

DD

9. leroy

That slowly became a fun game to watch. Took a while for our boys to get going...but when they did, they proved who the top team in the group was decisively. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that our best player right now is days short of turning 18. Pulisic is the creative winger we've been missing for so long. Klejstan got more and more comfortable as the game went on and he was very good. I think he and Bradley can make a better combo than Bradley and Jones (both too defensive). Altidore is so freaking maddening to me. Bad first touch after bad first touch...only to have a great first touch to set up his first goal. He should've had a hat trick but he wasn't ready on a Pulisic cross that he should've been on top of. The defense was solid enough but it's clear that Cameron should be starting in the middle. However, I'm not sold on Yedlin starting.

Pulisic being a starter means Fabian moves to the back line...which I'm ok with. It makes that left side very dangerous offensively and forces opposing teams to stay back. Having players that are finally willing to run at a defense is going to create so much more excitement and better results going forward.

I'd still rather we opened @ mexico than at home but another Columbus beatdown would be a great way to get the final round kicked off.

Lastly...I hope to never see another important match be held in Jacksonville ever again. Mostly empty stadium and a crappy field. That was kind of embarrassing to see them playing on a field with football lines and the outsides so torn up. This isn't 1992. We should expect better. I would be more than fine to have all home qualifying matches be played at either Columbus or Seattle.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As a neutral, I really like Pulisic's game. You can tell he's not a product of MLS just by his comfort level when he's in possession. I've watched the USA for a long time now and he does things I've never seen a USA player do. The only guy I can think of is John O'Brien but he didn't do it long enough. But he played the same way in possession.

I think Mexico opening away with the USA is advantage for Mexico. It's early so weather shouldn't be a factor and it's the first game in the Hex so both teams will want to get points. That sets the game up for a conservative approach and probably a draw which Mexico would love.

11. DaDakota

It is early but Pulisic is looking great, he looks like a special player, a world class player - maybe we have a guy that will surpass Dononvan and Dempsey?

DD

12. leroy

So many things factor into it. I love what he's doing and the path that he's taking. Things look incredibly bright for him. It's good he's in Germany and not able to constantly hear how he'll be the greatest ever. Because of how he's been handled, it would appear he'll be able to manage the pressure and expectations better than Donovan did. This is what Freddie Adu could've been had his family done the right thing and had him move to play in Europe early on.

13. DaDakota

Adu was too small and not dynamic enough - and who knows about his true age.

I like the young up and comers....Pulisic, Morris, and others - things are looking pretty good - hopefully Kinny mixes in the new with the old.

DD

SwoLy-D likes this.
  14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

15. PhiSlammaJamma

This Cuban field looks like a recreation league washout. Makes you appreciate our ticket prices and fields. But Cuba handing ooosa a challenge. Header off the post for the bad guys.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

2-0! Green doing it. Wondo all over the place.

I could be wrong, but think everyone is sitting on one side of the stadium.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Wondo continues to play well in meaningless games. This cat will be on the national team until he dies...

Julian Green's haircut makes me nervous.

Speaking of haircuts, I think Bobby Wood has a black barber.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

"Industrial language", lol.

Kick to the head of Birnbaum. No red. whoa. Blood squirting all over the place.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Klinsmann: "Are you f%&king blind!? ARE YOU F&*KING BLIND!?"

20. DaDakota

Game against New Zealand was sloppy, no cohesion or build up - just too many new comers.

DD