1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley's weight loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There are people who specifically lose fat, and then there are people who just lose weight. Bev has clearly done it the right way whatever his method. He doesn't seem to have lost any/much muscle at all, just getting his bodyfat % down which is the perfect way to go.

I said in another thread, these days size and strength are becoming less valuable, physicality less acceptable. Need quickness and stamina to chase the Irvings and Westbrooks and Currys of the league.

Mind you this was a guy who last summer people were saying he's a crappy shooter and just an energy guy. Over one summer bumps upto a consistent 40% shooter from 3. Now comes into camp in supreme shape. We can't let his guy ever walk, you can't replace that heart and soul, plus what he does is complimentary to Harden.

Great stuff.

2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There are people who specifically lose fat, and then there are people who just lose weight. Bev has clearly done it the right way whatever his method. He doesn't seem to have lost any/much muscle at all, just getting his bodyfat % down which is the perfect way to go.

I said in another thread, these days size and strength are becoming less valuable, physicality less acceptable. Need quickness and stamina to chase the Irvings and Westbrooks and Currys of the league. Referees are becoming less tolerant of rough play so Bev has to be aggressive with quickness and maintain his energy level. Every time we sign someone to possibly take his spot, he supports it and then comes into training camp like a MONSTER to compete.

Mind you this was a guy who last summer people were saying he's a crappy shooter and just an energy guy. Over one summer bumps upto a consistent 40% shooter from 3. Now comes into camp in supreme shape. We can't let his guy ever walk, you can't replace that heart and soul, plus what he does is complimentary to Harden.

Great stuff.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

edit: double post

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Everyone talks about Harden's physique, but actually saw some "big-butt" and midsection on Beverley in some LATE season highlights. I think like Harden's beard, Bev's wild hair made him look more slovenly than he really is

I wondered if he got a LITTLE too comfortable eating good with that new contract lol. But Bev was playing better late in season where it wasn't an issue

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You actually can't lose weight without losing muscle, and you can't gain weight without gaining fat. I don't have sources offhand, but it's pretty commonly know & I've read it numerous times. That's why bodybuilders have a bulk up period followed by a cutting period right b/f competition.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not true. People can increase muscle mass and decrease fat simultaneously.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Those pictures remind me of a young Garnett or the famous photo of the cut Akeem against Moses. (as an aside, surprise the Akeem/Moses photo isn't someone's avatar, yet.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's probably nitpicking. Sure, if you lose weight it can't be 100% fat. It will be some percentage water and/or fat. If you do it right (exercise and nutrition and rest), I'm sure you can control water and fat loss to the point it's negligible.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He looks hungry.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I believe that actually is a myth, unless you have evidence otherwise. The kinda crap advertisements say. In my own anecdotal times, I've done everything perfect in a run of weight loss, tracked my muscle mass through body fat %, and muscle mass still lost. That's just my example. If you have other evidence, I would love to see it

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

first losing weight, and then maybe just maybe he'll start watching game tape

12. koby1868

koby1868 Member

For a guy that uses his speed to pester top tier PG's I can't imagine it would hurt him.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  13. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

Overall it's probably a really good thing that he got more fit. Will help him stay in front of more guards, and be even more of a pest on D. The only things that it might be bad for our are that he is one of the more physical guards out there. It might take from his ability to absorb contact. Also, he does get inside and scrap for rebounds a lot too. Hopefully he's still able to do that as well. But I think his rebounding is more a result of heart than anything physical.

14. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Anything that helps.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I recall - it depends the types of activities and nutrition. Your body is pretty amazing - it's very complex and there are tons of articles.

But you've never seen someone chubby lose weight and get stronger/put on more muscle? Very easy to do actually. Might be different if you are 5% body fat though.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Stop posting misinformation. Low carb doesn't kill you. Eating like crap kills you.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hopefully this will help him stay healthy and on the court.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Looks good to me... sounds like he really considered the impact of the extra bulk on his joints. Given the number of durability question marks surrounding this team, I'm all for anything that might keep him (or anybody else) healthy and on the court. A laterally quicker, more nimble Bev would be gravy for me.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What people forget about with regards to injuries is that even if the player is able to make it back healthy by the start of training camp, he loses the chance to fully prepare his body for the season as rehab becomes his focus.

Between a healthy offseason and a new PG-friendly coach coming in, I expect a career year from Bev.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Last year Patrick struggled against quicker guards, I think the weight loss is a positive.

People can criticize all the want... but Patrick always works hard and attempts to improve his game. With Harden running the point, if Patrick defends well, he will see a lot of playing time.