1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team will never win anything with Brock Osweiler at QB!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

He's not a newbie, this is Osweiler's fifth year in the league.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He was benched in Denver for being turnover prone, he was throwing too many INTs in training camp, and he's still throwing too many INTs.

He needs to adjust but that doesn't mean completely avoiding the middle of the field. He has to be able to hit the open guy wherever he is.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not true, but I guess that's never stopped you before. He was "benched" simply because Peyton was back healthy.....and Manning went on to perform worse than Brock did. Don't re-write history simply to further a narrative.

4. Mr. Clutch

He now has 10 interceptions in 10 games, and that's despite being on defense first teams that try to establish the run first and having talented WRs to throw too.

I think that's why Bob is running Lamar so much, Brock is too risky right now

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, Hoyer fans trying to talk about QB's....

6. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Brock is fine, our Oline is turrible.

7. conquistador#11

it's his first year in this offense which has been called 'chinese backwards'. i say give him some time in the system, like more than 1 bad game.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I want to give him a chance to give me a reason to believe in him but thus far, I'm not liking what I'm seeing especially with the interceptions. So far about the only nice thing I can say about him is that he's really tall.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So far, a lot of the interceptions haven't been Brock's fault. One was on a ball that was in Hopkins' hands that he allowed the defender to rip it away from him. Another was a bad route by Nuk. Now sure, there's also been some that were just bad decisions, but he hasn't been getting a lot of help.

10. Mr. Clutch

If Fitzpatrick and Hoyer can manage 90+ qbratings then Osweiler should be able to do that at minimum. He shouldn't have more INTs than TDs.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

Boy, would a decent tight end do wonders for this team.

13. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

I'm still holding out hope that Thursday's game was just a bad day at the office. That was just hard to watch.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Only if Brock decides to involve him pre-snap ;)

More seriously.. if he's gonna pre-decide, he should AT LEAST look away, then turn and throw.

Right now, it's mostly a stare down.

15. Mr. Clutch

He's done the scripted pump fake twice

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Was one Hopkins' TD?

That fake worked out well.

17. Mr. Clutch

Yeah he did that play again another time

18. Mr. Clutch

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...neffectual-in-embarrassing-Texans-9240971.php

Brock Osweiler ineffectual in embarrassing Texans loss

By Aaron Wilson

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – This staring contest wasn't even close, a high-profile case of the New England Patriots exploiting a troublesome tendency of Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler.

Osweiler has displayed a tendency to lock onto his primary read, staring down his targets to an extreme level where defensive players can sometimes simply read his eyes to determine which direction the football is going.

That poker tell from Osweiler manifested itself in a major way during the second quarter of the previously undefeated Texans' embarrassing 27-0 debacle of a loss to the Patriots on Thursday night at Gillette Stadium.

Osweiler looked at Pro Bowl wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins from the moment he took the snap, failing to use a head fake or pump fake to get the defense off-balance. Because of that breakdown and an outstandingly fast reaction from Jamie Collins, Osweiler never saw the gifted Patriots outside linebacker breaking on the football as he adeptly undercut his errant pass intended for Hopkins.

• [​IMG]
    Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle
    IMAGE4OF59
    Houston Texans running back Lamar Miller (26) is stopped at the line of scrimmage by New England Patriots outside linebacker Jamie Collins (91) and linebacker Barkevious Mingo (51) during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game at Gillette Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016, in Foxborough, Mass.
    IMAGE 1 OF 59
    Houston Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler (17) reacts while coming off the field during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game at Gillette Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016, in Foxborough, Mass.

"I tried forcing the football where the football probably shouldn't have gone," Osweiler said. "That was something we talked about throughout the week when they play zone defense, you check the ball down, check the ball down, check the ball down, stay patient. That was a play where I thought I had a window to throw and unfortunately Jamie made a heck of a play. That's a throw I need to learn from when a team is playing zone."

The interception was one of the few miscues that didn't lead to points for the Patriots as the defense forced a three-and-out on the subsequent series, but it was a play that defined Osweiler's night and his season so far. He was ineffective against a Patriots defense that swarmed his throws and prevented him from generating much in the way of timing and chemistry with his receivers as he completed just 24 of 41 passes for 196 yards, no touchdowns and one interception for a 60.6 passer rating.

"I think any time an offense struggles to develop a rhythm, struggles scoring points, the first thing you have to examine is the quarterback," Osweiler said. "I'll take the blame for this one. Anytime a team doesn't score points, it's on me.

"I'll examine the tape very closely. I'll become a better quarterback from this experience. Bottom line: I needed to play better to allow our team to have an opportunity to try to win the ballgame."

Osweiler has now thrown four interceptions in just three games since joining the Texans as their $72 million franchise quarterback. Signed to a four-year contract that included $37 million guaranteed to leave the Denver Broncos as a free agent, the 6-8, 235-pound former Arizona State standout has generated decidedly mixed results.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien acknowledged that Osweiler was trying to do too much on the interception.

"It looked like on that one he probably tried to force it," O'Brien said. "He's just trying to make a play. It's not concerning to me. It's just something that we have to go over with him and coach him up on what that coverage was and what that route was and where he should go with the ball the next time. We'll fix that."

Several of the interceptions he's thrown were intended for Hopkins, who led the Texans with 111 catches for 1,521 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

"Every time we break the huddle and a pass play is called, DeAndre is on my radar: 'What route is he running? Can I get him the football?'" Osweiler said. "But there's no excuse for the interception. My job is to protect the football and score points and lead this offense.

"Bottom line, I didn't do that. I turned the ball over and I wasn't efficient enough. I need to play better. I will play better and will learn from this experience."

Although the Texans got off to a 2-0 start to begin the season, it's been the defense that's carried the defending AFC South champions.

Osweiler entered Thursday having completed just 41 of 68 passes for 499 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions for a 79.2 passer rating.

Osweiler had some success in the first half throwing passes into tight quarters to Hopkins, including some slick throws in traffic for three receptions for 40 yards on six targets by halftime.

However, Osweiler was only able to connect with Hopkins one time in the second half as the Texans never mounted much of an offense.

The Texans didn't cross midfield until early in the third quarter as Osweiler completed just 10 of 16 passes for 100 yards in the first half with a 54.2 passer rating.

Osweiler wasn't markedly better in the second half during his 10th career NFL start. He missed some open reads and only found explosive rookie wide receiver Will Fuller three times for 31 yards on four targets.

"If you go back and watch the tape, they were playing a lot of two-high defense and they were very aware of our deep threats," Osweiler said. "They weren't going to let us throw the ball down the field."

Osweiler wasn't under an unusual amount of duress from the Patriots' defense. He was sacked twice and hit three times.

Osweiler had problems making much of anything happen with his strong right arm, raising eyebrows around the NFL with his penchant for not looking off defensive backs.

One of his top plays was a 13-yard scramble.

Overall, though, it was a rough night for Osweiler and a stumbling Texans offense that was supposed to be a transformed outfit after signing Osweiler, running back Lamar Miller and drafting Fuller this offseason.

Instead, the Texans have struggled in the red zone and other parts of the field as they haven't generated an effective running game despite the presence of Miller as the blocking hasn't been good enough.

The Texans entered Thursday ranked 20th in total offense, 11th in rushing and 24th in passing.

Although there have been some positive signs, including Fuller producing 100-yard receiving games in the first two games of his NFL career, this was a major step backward for an offense that was already reeling.

Osweiler has vowed to play better and Texans coach Bill O'Brien has been supportive, saying he's not concerned about the interceptions.

However, this latest rough outing certainly isn't the kind of performance the Texans envisioned when they made such a hefty investment in the towering former Broncos starter.

"[Patriots defensive coordinator] Matt Patricia and Bill Belichick, obviously they showed they run their defense very well," Osweiler said. "They didn't do anything we weren't expecting. Bottom line: I need to play better so I can give this team an opportunity to win ballgames like this."

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand why Brock has to do the thing where he goes up to the line and points out defenders every time. Not saying it matters much but sure is annoying considering it isn't improving the offense.

It's the same cadence every time ... got to imagine defenses are picking up on that. You've got to change the velocity of the game throughout. Sometimes snap it quick.

Should help running game too

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I agree that a lot of his INT before this game was not his fault or bad passes. But he did not look good at all vs Pats. He wasn't looking as comfortable in the pocket as the previous games And I think Bill expected that going in hence the super conservative play calling.