1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pats were playing with a 3rd string rookie QB, but their coaching staff adjusted for it (max protect, couple of option plays, pound the running game in the 2nd half, etc.).

What kind of adjustments did we make to compensate for a weak O-line? Inexplicably try to establish a power running game?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. They don't get a pass for it. Just that they probably can't do everything they want to do with the offense just yet.

Like I said before, wake up call games like this are better off earlier rather than later. They're going to have to throw out a lot of the game plan if they can't get the line play better.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, hopefully everyone learns from it like they did after getting spanked by Miami last year. I thought O'brien would be a little more prepared. Does anyone know why we called a draw on 3rd and 8 around midfield? That was where I knew I was mistaken about O'brien at least up until this point. I figured he would know the Pats would have new plays up their sleeve and were likely to put up some points. I am all for being conservative on 3rd and 15 on your own 20 but that was inexcusable. I can't tell if it was Brock that changed into a run or not. Either way, that is either damning on Brock's play or the o-line play that we weren't confident enough to throw for a first down on 3rd and 8. Honestly the game was over after that as the Patriots got more and more confidence.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bill did not fumble or throw those INTs.

DD

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

To me O'brien was trying to play a field position game and grind to a low score win, that was blown up when we fumbled on the kickoff and had a few more turnovers afterwards.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My guess is he thought he could win with defense against Brisset and was scared of Osweiler throwing picks.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, consider who you're arguing with.

On the Astros board, he called a poster "entitled" for expecting them to win ONE championship in 50 years.

The plan was blown up when we couldn't move the ball.

The turnovers hurt, but those drives would've likely stalled, just like all the other ones.

#47 Houstunna, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hiring/firing people isn't a quantitative process. Quality of your work matters.

Otherwise you end up in "VY just wins" territory.

#48 DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

One adjustment that should have been made is move Brock under center to give Miller a chance in the running game. Trying to run out of the shotgun just doesn't work. Especially with this line.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Going into this season . . . . 10-6 should be simple enough
    JBB could coach this team to 8-8
    a GOOD COACH could get them to 13-3

I seriously don't think we have a talent deficiency
    I'm abstaining for now. . . but the seat should be getting warm

Rocket River

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I thought this too. Then NE drove it 80 yards and settled for a FG, which was unexpected to BoB imo, but survivable. Then the kickoff fumble happened and we were boned after that from a planning perspective. Sigh.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol those timeouts embarrassed us in front of the nation

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Charles James is a likable guy but why the **** is he in the end zone

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Who would even be available in the off-season if we do part ways?

15. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

In spirit I agree with this, but Uncle Bob has way too much patience.

He'll give O'Brien enough rope to eventually hang himself....just like Kubes and Schaub did.

And then he'll end up winning a ring somewhere else too!

16. LivinLikeLarry

For the most part I think O'Brien does a good job managing games, the timeouts last night was head scratching but the challenges have certainly improved over the Kubiak era and he has the balls to go for some 4th and shorts in good spots. He also seems to command respect from the players, and get the most out of what he has at the quarterback position. Granted he isn't the best at making personnel decisions, but he has surely shown the ability to coach.

I think the one who needs to be gone is George Godsey. He seem to have a lot of control over the offensive play calling, which is often very suspect. Pounding the ball up the middle is fine with a back like Blount or LeVeon Bell who can consistently pick you up 4 to 5 yards a carry up those gaps, but not with a back like Miller who is more known for his speed and ability to stretch a defense. They run the ball almost every 1st down for 2 yards, have an incompletion or another short gain on second down, and then face stressful 3rd down situations. Already they've attempted 50 freakin third downs this year. The only saving grace is that Hopkins has a crazy ability to bail you out of some of those third downs. Thats all on the OC though. Godsey has been here a few years, and I've seen nothing to warrant him still being here.

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

It's the lack of adjustments that kills me. Not having the right gameplan going in (which they clearly didn't, trying to run up the gut of the patriots d line when that is not our strength) is one thing and maybe chalked up to over thinking...but then repeatedly trying the same thing with no success was inexcusable. Phil Simms was practically incredulous with the play calling when it was clear what the Texans should have been doing based on what the patriots were doing.

The whole lechler challenge thing was bizarre too - like more than one person had to have been asleep at the wheel not to have said anything about challenging that call. Lack of awareness on the coaching staff is very worrisome.

18. Mr. Clutch

I don't think the talent is there. On offense we have Hopkins as really the only elite guy (unless Duane can come back 100%). Fuller is just a rookie and Lamar Miller doesn't look like he can handle a full load.

The OL sucks, the TEs suck, and Brock hasn't showing he's anything more than average, and he might be worse than average.

Defensively we're a lot better, of course, and the defense is performing pretty well and is potentially elite. But Watt isn't 100% and with Clowney's foot now on the injury report he might not be either. Jonathan Joseph is our best DB but he's over 30. Cushing's out. McKinney is good but he's not a coverage LB.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I swear Belichick has a device that turns opposing coaches into idiots.

On offense it's very simple: we have a poor o-line and can't run the ball, and they are playing off in coverage to stop the big play. None of this should have been surprising.

So the response should be quick screen passes (like the one with Fuller in week 1) and short middle of the field passes. Instead it's nothing but draw plays and difficult sideline throws to Hopkins or deep throws into coverage that get intercepted.

20. Mr. Clutch

And you know other teams are gonna repeat the strategy