1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This isn't worth the time. Garbage. I'm skeptical you were even a fan back then but it doesn't matter anyway. I'll say this, There are only 5 coaches that have taken completely different teams to the BCS/CFP Champsionship: Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer and Mack Brown out of maybe 30 coaches. If the only common factor in an 05 Championship team and a 2009 runner up in a coach then then that should tell you something.

Mack Brown has the winningest (games) team in all of college football in a 10 year span and there is this garbage post. Yea, he made mistakes in the last few years and he was fired for that. You numbers are clear.

[​IMG]

After Darryl Royal, Texas won 10 or more games in 5 out of following 20 years. Mack then did it 9 times in 10 years with two 9 win seasons preceding it. Dude had a disappointing last year but still went 7-2 in the big 12. It was time that the two parted but it still breaks my heart. All good things.

ok that all makes sense now.

AGREED. Still don't miss that game. It was less about "destroying" A&M and more about avoiding all the annoying bull**** their fans do. T.U. and Tea-Sipper are both so lame.

#7641 Brando2101, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Mack was a terrible developer of talent and a horrible in-game strategist. The way he treated Major Applewhite still sticks in my mind....just awful. The whole time he was coaching I was hoping that he could be given some title like "head of recruiting"(I give him credit for that ). Then UT would hire a guy who could actually coach.

3. Rocketeer Bang

Mack's firing breaks your heart? LMAO.

Mack's winning had a lot to do with playing against inferior competition. You know who wish Mack would last forever? One Bob Stoops, so he could continue to make Texas football his doormats.

You are no true fan of Texas if you wish to have someone soft like Mack leading our team. Something is seriously wrong about you to be calling yourself a Texas fan.

4. Rocketeer Bang

Mack Brown is not above Texas Football. Coaches come and go, but the University will last forever.

Mack won himself alot of fanfare because he was the head coach who brought championship back to Texas after some 20+ years, I get that. But for as much talent that passes through 40 in those years, he won just one NC and two CC.

He also left a serious mess to his successor, one that's much worse than what he had inherited from Machovic.

Recruiting class ranking means nothing if the players don't produce on the field. Ranking alone is not going to make your team win games. May I remind you our 2012 class was ranked #2, and how have they fared?

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There are some people that just have a deep seeded hatred of a coach or player of the team they support and nothing you can do or say will change that. Even in the season the Eagles went to the Super Bowl, my uncle would tell anyone that would listen how s***ty of a coach Andy Reid is. He HATED Reid. Doesn't matter how successful they were under him. He could have pulled my uncle out of a fire and my uncle would still tell him to f*** off.

Rocketeer apparently is the same when it comes to Mack Brown. Mack couldn't have had anything to do with all of the wins because he's the worst thing to happen to UT since Charles Whitman.

6. Rocketeer Bang

Mack was not great when he first took over the program, but he was better than Machovic, so he bought more time for reinforcement to arrive. That reinforcement was someone by the name of VY, and once VY became VY, it elevated Mack to legendary coach status, one that I believe he isn't deserving of. I don't know anything about the guy in person, but I have watched enough of his PC to know that he talks alot of nothing and rarely tackles a challenging question straight on. And for the record, his loyalty to his assistants was not the reason for his downfall, but rather he had no clue on how to fix his own mess. He was given 4 years to turn it around, and the team got worse, not better. Had he been given a fifth year, we might as well be given the death penalty. His early commits in '15 were the likes of Johnny Shaw, Bryce English, Aaron Garza, Jalen Campbell. Look them up and see where they are today.

7. Rocketeer Bang

Noone is saying that. Mack was better than McWilliam and Machovic, the record indicates that and I am not refuting it. I am just saying all those wins don't make Mack a great coach. He was called a CEO head coach for a reason, and you don't hear that label used on any other highly regarded coaches in college football. He was at Texas for 15 years, can you tell me exactly what he had coached? Has there been any system either developed or perfected by him? Does he have any specialty on the football field, either offense or defense? Any particular position? Come on, anything.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The bigger issue wasn't increased competition for a limited pool of players, the issue was that the pool of players expanded greatly due to the development of the high school game w/sophisticated offenses, 7-on-7 etc - and other schools were quicker to grasp this.

The gap between top recruiting classes gets a lot smaller when there's a lot more top recruits to go around, and it gets harder to simply out talent your opponent which is what Texas did in the first half of Mack's tenure.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Haven't read a single post saying Mack was a great coach. But his winning percentage, National Championship, and 2 other BCS Bowl wins show that he wasn't a horrible coach like you are saying. I'll be the first to say Mack absolutely had to go but really easy to look back and say he was terrible when in truth, there are only a handful of active coaches that accomplish what Mack did.

As far as systems and specialties, who gives a crap? Leach, Sumlin, Briles, Kingsbury all developed and perfected a pretty unstoppable offense, does that make them great coaches? What exactly did Stoops, Fisher, Pete Carroll develop or perfect? Did any of these guys have a specialty?

10. Buck Turgidson

Enough Mack.

Over the past 30 years, freshman QBs making their first road start have lost 65% of the time. Shane don't care, Texas is going to run all over these hippies.

1 person likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've read the last two pages. I agree with both sides to an extent.

The hopelessness of this play is awful. Holy hell it's HARD to believe that was 15 years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1MpHG5x6q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can argue back and forth how great of a recruiter Mack Brown is. How much the cachet of UT along with his recruiting propped up the Longhorns for all of those 10 win seasons. Regardless 53 combined wins in a row for UT & USC. An epic game that will probably never be matched in college football. USC had been in 7 straight Rose/Orange Bowls, they won 6 of them with the only loss coming to UT. All of it culminating with this play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GeiXFtkGp2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Texas also has the NCAA record for consecutive weeks ranked at 162 while Brown coached UT.

It surely didn't break my heart that Mack Brown was shoved out the door. He seemed like a nice guy, he made his millions. The thing though that does, and will always bother me a little is Colt getting hurt against Alabama. That game was very very winnable.

One side note I was dating a freakin HOTTTT girl during that national championship win. I went downtown in Austin that night we went back to her apartment afterwards. Lets just say it was one of those nights to remember. ;)

12. Rocketeer Bang

Shane is a different breed. There is a reason why Strong was sounding optimistic even before the spring game, he knew he had found his QB. Did anyone see those eyes in the ND game? Not a sliver of panic in those eyes. He's got the "it", along with knowing where to go with the ball and with accuracy.

The team is still very young, but if the chips are falling in the right places, we could have something speical this season, and more seasons to come.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

says the guy who has been to the UT thread once to proudly support Charlie Strong after Texas beat Notre Dame. Welcome to the bandwagon.

Yea you just need to run the ball and teach the kid how to manage the game/clock. Don't ask too much of him but let him take his shots. I'll be waiting for the first Buechele/Devarney TD. It could be the new McCoy/Shipley combo for the next 4 years but that is asking for a lot. Who knows where the season goes.

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

We're talking about Mack Brown? Seriously?

Mack Brown was a great coach that stayed too long, that is all. He had two major faults:

1. He was too far removed from being a coordinator, and that meant that he relied too heavily on his assistants for X's and O's. Mack first became a head coach in '83, and other than one year as offensive coordinator in '84, he was a head coach ever since. Over half of his career was spent as a head coach before he got to Texas. He kept Greg Davis on way too long and he tended to prefer pedigree over potential when it came to other major coaching hires. This meant that we were either hiring assistant coaches that were either looking to program jump or were past their prime.

2. Much like outdated coaching strategies, his recruiting strategy was very effective early on but became outdated towards the end of his tenure as social media encouraged the best recruits to hold out later and later. His complacency at recruiting just happened to strike simultaneously with the complacency of his assistants in coaching up the talent he was bringing to the program.

This is the way that dynasties always go. Nothing lasts forever. His peak between 2004-2009 couldn't have come at a better time for our program, but the decline was just as sharp. But I'm feeling pretty good about his replacement in Strong. He may not reach dynasty status the way Mack did, but he's a heck of a coach.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D4d4R05LmQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Buck Turgidson

Not talking ****, not an insult or anything, but I am curious...when did you start watching the Horns?

Different generations have different viewpoints and whatnot. Watched Pete Gardere beat OU with my dad when I was a kid, he kept telling me about James Street. Shea Morenz was the QB the first game I went to as a student. He shoulda stuck to baseball.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

My bet is he is 11 years old.

Wasn't Shea Morenz the QB who got injured falling through a window at a frat party? Wasn't he like the top QB recruit in the nation? I believe he is the one my sister tutored in math.

18. oakdogg

For #2, look at Mack's recruiting classes during the dark years. UT was still like #2 most of those years. That qualifies as good recruiting - great recruiting. So, the flaw of recruiting you have should be swapped out with player development.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You do not label a coach as a great one who was let to go. He was a great recruiter, but he was a very good coach because he was winner, but not that great because VY and Major were the main reason for the team winning.

20. oakdogg

I don't see the point of micro-analyzing a coach's attributes. The bottom line is he won.

The people who started following the Longhorns during Mack's tenure don't appreciate Mack. Those who followed the Longhorns before Mack sure as hell do.