1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi and China playing tonight at 7pm on NBATV against USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 24, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Questionable that he needs the d-league to improve. But I agree that him being on an NBA roster and practicing with the actual team is best, if that's what you are saying

I'd let him play one more year wherever he wants to play them sign him and commit a roster spot to him. The Valley is a 60 minute flight away. Have him practice in Houston with the team and go to the valley during rockets long road trips. Essentially practice with the Rockets then take short trips to get burn with the Vipers

Oh, and sign him before the Summer League next year so he can play, then practice in Houston all summer. We need to get him out of that CBA contract

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was saying to get him in the D league so he'd be on an NBA roster with an NBA strength and conditioning program working towards gaining some weight and strength. Also, in RGV he can start to get used to American style basketball, it takes some time to make that adjustment.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Chinese basketball league sucks! The NBA has to go there and fix that league's rules and help them on getting those Chinese players get big.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Keep in mind the highest salary for a D-Leaguer not signed by an NBA team is $25,000. Zhou is making $643,086 in China right now.

To get more money to play in D-League, Rockets would have to sign him, thus use one of the 15 roster spots. I'm all for that though, but probably not this year.

Let's say he does accept $25k just for discussion. As a stash player in D-League, is he even allowed to practice with an NBA team? Not sure.

As for NBA-quality training and conditioning, I recall hearing that the CBA teams are begging for help training their players with NBA coaches/trainers. Maybe we send the Xinjiang Flying Tigers some help specific to Zhou's needs, such that he gets the same training as he would in the US.

But my main thing is that I'm not big on D-League play. They don't really seem to play the right way anyhow. If we can get him trainers in China, I don't see a big difference, until we are actually ready to use a roster spot on him, and he's practicing in Houston but playing with RGV, when we are on road trips.

5. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Rockets could offer him partially guaranteed contract and pay him close to $1 million then assign him to d league. Don't need to use one of the 15 roster spots

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Zhou Qi almost got into a fight with Andrew Bogut in an exhibition game between China and Australia. He blocked Bogut on a shot under the basket, there was some body contact afterwards. Bogut pushed him and they got tangled up before being separated by teammates.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

love it, this kid should have a roster spot ready for him

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would we not lose his draft rights after cutting him and releasing his contract?

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

Qi playing right now on NBCSN

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

link to watch/stream?

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Cousins just got stamped, "Made by ZHOU QI." Blocked!

12. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Yes, the Rockets would lose his rights if he was released and not counted against the 15 man roster. Any player not counted as a NBA player designated to the D-League would be available for NBA-call up by any team.

13. mig0s

mig0s Member

1 person likes this.
  14. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Has Doug Collins said, "when I coached Michael" yet?
    "When I traded for Andrew Bynum..."

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I guess I'll be that guy. Not impressed by Zhou Qi. He's definitely years away from being NBA ready.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

What's his number?

They all look the same to me

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yi Jianlian is balling. Les should sign him to replace dmo

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Joe doesn't even look interested. They aren't passing him the ball in the post when Kyrie switched onto him a couple times

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

all olympic events are being streamed on nbcolympics.com

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He's amazing. The combination of trash and trash. Future Rockets release.