1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Khizr Khan speech at DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You can interpret the Constitution however you feel like interpreting it, but for the last 200+ years banning people from entering based on religion is something that hasn't happened.

Go vote for Trump.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The piece does make a good point that just because you don't like something doesn't make it unconstitutional. It is also is correct in pointing out that the 14 Amendment wouldn't apply to Pakistanis in Pakistan. The problem though is that Trump's original proposal to ban immigration based on religion would run afoul of the 1st Amendment regarding a religion test. In regards to due process I'm not sure how due process is applied in a blanket ban.

Trump has greatly modified his proposal since he first made it and the greatly scaled down version focusing on geographic location might pass constitutional muster. That doesn't mean it's not problematic for other reasons.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to it in principle, in practice it can't really be implemented.

Islam is an ideology, but cloaked in mysticism to avoid criticism/judgement (you get to call critics of it religious bigots and feel good about how tolerant you are).

I'm a big believer in pluralism, up until the moment your beliefs violate the rights of others.

As an ideology, I find Islam threatening to basic civil rights (it's theocratic, misogynistic, tribalistic, medieval, sanctions violence toward nonbelievers)

We should keep such types out of the country, lest we become Europe with weekly attacks that can't be stopped.

And yes, such a policy would turn away many good people. Not our problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

HEY GUYS - I'M NOT DEFENDING DONALD TRUMP BUT HERE'S SOME REASONS WHY HE'S RIGHT

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Islam is a religion. Muslims are believers of Islam. Calling it an ideology doesn't change this. Which other religions should be next on the list of immigration bans?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm actually not opposed to this but, what about Scientology?

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thought it was bush league to use the pain of parents by BOTH parties...

But we have to objectively talk about Khizr Khan, his wife and the meaning of sacrifice. No one can understand the pain of losing a child, especially those who serve in the military and police/fire fighters...To the parents of young servicemen/women, I can't imagine how they must feel knowing their children are always in harms way.

My understanding of sacrifice comes from my understanding of love. And the greatest form of love is unconditional. This is the love that a solider gives his nation. This form of love asks for NOTHING in return...He does so because he loves the nation so much that he is willing to lay down his life for someone he doesn't even know. He made the ultimate sacrifice. His blood keeps our nation free...

"Mr. Trump has sacrificed nothing, He has sacrificed NO one..." - Khans

Your boy died in order to save our nation from foreign and domestic threats. Your boy died in order to provide me freedom. Your boy died a hero for his country before anything/anyone else. Your boy sacrificed his life in order to save his countrymen on June 8th 2004 when radicalized Islamic terrorists decided to attack a base with a suicide car bomb. Captain Humayun Khan died as an American 1st and a Muslim 2nd...

Instead of acknowledging this, Mr. and Mrs Khan stood up at the DNC using such a public platform stating how Trump is Anti-American because he is "anti-muslim..." They however fail to see that his son died protecting America from radical Islam. Trump has professed that his primary objective is "Making America great again..." He puts American lives/interest above anything else.

Now whether or not Trump achieves this message remains to be seen.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Then Trump's message is wrong. One reason this country is great is that so many people offer the ultimate sacrifice to defend it. African Americans that fought in the Civil War. Japanese American's that fought in WW2. And Muslim Americans like Captain Khan.

Heck, if Trump's offensive plan to stop Muslims to was enacted in 1978, then Khizr Khan and Ghazala Khan would not have come to the US and become proud citizens. And Humayan Khan would not have demonstrated leadership and bravery in the defense of fellow soldiers and the USA.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

You are too narrow minded to see that each of these folks fought for the nation first...

Khizr Khan and his wife, moved from the UAE...why one would ask...You should ask how Pakistani's are treated among Arab nationals... I know. I lived there as a child myself. Mr. Khan would have never had the opportunities he had living anywhere else in the world. He came to the US to provide his children a chance to succeed. All of them did. Infact Mr Khan himself has an advanced law degree from Harvard.

But Mr. Khan brought his family here because it offered opportunities that HE would have NEVER received in Pakistan OR in the Emirates as a Pakistani National.

Background into the Khan's and their family.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/us/elections/khizr-humayun-khan-speech.html

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with parties which is why Trump is being unanimously condemned by anybody with a shred of human dignity.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thought it was a mistake to have the mother of fallen Benghazi servicemen speak at the RNC...I also thought it was a mistake for BLM parents to speak at the DNC. Little did I expect that the victims of political gaming was the Khan family. Both party leaders thought it would be a good idea to have family members of political firestorm topics...speak.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Never let a good tragedy go to waste.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Meh. I know a few Arabs that come from Muslim families that feel this way.

One girl I grew up was forced to wear a Hijab growing up, and when she was caught taking it off in middle school, her parents told her that she would go to hell. She ended up being very liberal and is an atheist. I dated her for a short time in college. She has a live in boyfriend that is white and not religious. She has a deep hatred for Islam. She moved to the United States at 10-11 years old from Iran.

I know a Pakistani girl that I hired as a paralegal and she converted to Catholic. She isn't very religious, I suspect she is Catholic because her husband is. I wouldn't have known, other than she one time told me that tattoos are not allowed in Islam, and she has a half dozen. Her parents are very religious and have disowned her. She seems very happy; and is raising her kids as Catholic. Her parents refuse to see their grand kids.

I know an Iranian that doesn't view himself as a Muslim. He is Persian; oddly told me the biggest mistake his people did was go away from polytheism and convert to Islam. He believes that it was the down fall of the Persians. He doesn't have the complete hatred that some of the others I know do, but he doesn't like Islam... he also really dislikes Israel and Evangelicals as well.

So, there are a decent amount of people that were born into Islam and move away from it when exposed to Western culture; especially at a young age.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get why this is wrong. Who is being victimized by any of these parents speaking out?

If the parents themselves have an experience and a view that they believe to be important to share with the country and the parties also sincerely believe in the importance of making such experience and views widely known, then I don't see a moral wrong.

Now, if the political party actually are not sincere about the views expressed by the parents or know that the story they tell are patently false, then there is a problem. I don't think this is the case with Mr. and Mrs. Khan.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I think the point is their experiences can be wrongly used to shield their arguments from criticism. For me the arguments stand or fall on their own, but not everyone thinks like that.

Not their fault, but that's what happens.

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Proud of McCain, Ryan, and Jeb's support for the Khans. At least *some* Republicans still have the decency to apologize when we attack them!</p>&mdash; Hillary PR Team (@OnMessageForHer) <a href="https://twitter.com/OnMessageForHer/status/760157051242749953">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Let's start with Catholics. Tired of these white pedophiles roaming around freely. When will they start testing Catholics of pedophilia?

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I two girls and two boys.

One Girl hates islams

Second girl hates sunny Mulsims

One boy hates korains

second boy hates shya Muslims

I know another two girls and two boys....

:rolleyes:

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Party over country. As usual.

Thing is: they attacked Trump, not Republicans. Trump has attacked Republicans, though.