1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

He's not a Cookie, He's Not a Cracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fuzzybear, Mar 16, 2009.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i was really happy when von wafer decided to not take the 3 and pass the ball to landry for the easy dunk.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Best game I've seen from Wafer... by far. He's scored more in other games but he played SMART basketball tonight, borderline brilliant. Not only that but he did it against a very good team at critical points in the game. I hope this is a sign of things to come. We may have a real gem in Wafer... at the very least, an outstanding backup 2... maybe more. I guess we should never assume that a young player can't improve his court vision and decision-making.

3. fmp087

fmp087 Member

As long as Von does not settle for jumpers we should be ok. I think Adelman had a talk with Artest, Brooks, and Wafer. They were no longer looking for jumpshots, but were trying to create off the dribble, not only for themselves, but for the rest of the team.

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong -- I like Von Wafer. I even started the OTHER Cookie/Cracker/Wafer thread for my second unit nickname ( http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=160848 ).

But I'm not completely sold on his future -- is he the explosive 2 guard Rockets need, or is he the second coming of Moochie Norris? Only time will tell.

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Uhhhhh....no. He has had All-Star quality talent since he first became an Indiana Pacer. Hell the guy has won Defensive Player of the Year. How is that being an underdog?

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Oops for some reason I was thinking Artest. Many sorries

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am not the biggest wafer fan mainly because he hasnt played within the offense for the past month or so and his jumper has been ice cold

but he did play his best game tonight driving in and finding his teammates for easy looks. if he can keep doing that on a consistent basis then the team can add back on of the key offensive elements it lost with McGrady.

I dont think he will average 5 assists or anything like that but recognizing where the opening man is will pay off in the long run.

no more taking on the entire team in the lane please von!

great job by him tonight

8. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

they are more effective with assists when yao is out of the game.
    no dig on yao, just the truth. open lane.

9. -.Y.-

-.Y.- Member

There is difference between "I shoot the ball well in order to creat for teamates" and "I drive to creat better shots for teamates".
    The first called ballhogger, latter called team-player.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Um, its impossible to SHOOT the ball in order to create for teammates, unless you refer to lobbing it off the glass for your teammate to grab and dunk.

11. GeneValgene

GeneValgene Member

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

#32 topfive, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Sigh, one of my more impulsive posts for certain. In my defense, at the time Von Wafer looked like an automatic two points every time he attacked the basket, and even had a serviceable 3 point shot. That ego/knuckleheadedness did him in, and he definitely wasn't the last of the athletic/talented/but wasted potential group. Terrence Williams was the Von Wafer after Von, but Von at least had a nice run with us. We need to find the new Von, and probably not recycle a guy whose main positive was his athleticism.

14. kevtse

kevtse Member

What exactly did he do to scare all the nba teams years ago?

I always thought he was a nice player, especially when he was playing for us.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

16. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I've worked with him a few years back, he's mature enough to have another chance, works extremely hard, great mindset, very demanding to himself

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I remember when Morey said Von was not just athletic but an "elite" athlete like he was the second coming of Michael Jordan.

Good luck to him but his last "NBA" experience was playing for 18 days in the D-League back in 2014, if he could only stick with a D-League team for 18 days what are his chances of making an NBA team.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I forgot about him.

19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I belive in second chances, and everyone deserves one, i always liked the guy maybe he's turned it around, we need hungry players, just saying.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with you, people deserve second chances. He sounds really hungry and desperate so there's motivation to listen (his biggest weakness). I personally think our system needs really smart players that can be trusted to think for themselves. He's not that. So, I don't think we're the right team, but if there's a structured team out there that wants to give him a shot, I think they'll be pleased with this rejected guy.