1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA about to snatch All-star game away from Charlotte

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 21, 2016.

1. sew

sew Member

They're planning to reschedule it in Charlotte for the 2019. Gives them time to get their **** together.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

How freaking convenient...I dont tune in to the NBA for their opinion about politics. I personally dont give a crap about their views about oppression of the ABCLGTQRS (hope I included all of the appropriate letters) community...Just because they are a corporation, it doesnt give them the right to dictate what voters decided in their state.

The NBA is a private corporation that has its primary headquarters in the United States. The citizens dont have rights to tell them how to run their operation, and the NBA doesnt have the right to blackball the city. Their principles dont mean ish if they turn the other direction with China... as long as they dole out cash. Its hypocritical and its an insult to my intelligence.

The way to change those laws are to "stop doing" business...but who are you kidding...The NBA will never walk away from Chinese money.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The NBA is by far the most progressive sports league in America.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

lolwut

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Im sorry your education doesnt allow you to comprehend...

I dont care if the NBA decided to move its location, but it shouldnt be under the pretense of "NC discriminatory practice". This was a monetary decision...Charlotte isn't financially beneficial for the NBA.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Explain why they don't have a right to do what they're doing. That's what you said.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Now they just need to move it to OKC and then move it back to New Orleans, and have it ultimately end up sort of back in Charlotte.

Personally, I hate the move. I don't approve of the NC laws as I understand them, but this won't accomplish anything.

8. sew

sew Member

Just 4 letters. LGBT.

9. 523744

523744 Member

Don't understand why everyone is getting so up in arms about this.

If I manufacture and sell widgets and I do not want to sell my widgets in North Carolina, I am not forced by law to sell my widgets in North Carolina.

Very American concept.

10. sew

sew Member

This board has really been the only one that's been 'up in arms.'

This move is receiving a ton of praise on nearly every other site I frequent. The reaction is interesting.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The NBA has zero credibility if they claim "...diversity, inclusion, fairness, and respect for others..." is their reasoning for moving from Charlotte...WHILE freely taking money from China (even though they are notorious for human rights violations).

12. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

If it was only about business they wouldn't have awarded the All-Star game to Charlotte in the first place. Do you honestly think the NBA would do this to one of the most beloved players in NBA history if it was only about make more money in another city?

This is about a large company trying to get a state to change new legislation that possibly discriminates against the rights of some of it's employees. Silver warned them they might pull the game if the legislation wasn't changed. This has been a game of chicken for months now and the NBA finally said times up.

Other large national companies have already come out against the legislation.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So they probably will try to find somewhere close, like maybe the Atlanta site or the Washington, D.C. site.

Yeap. This way all the few WNBA fans will go to the NBA games in other cities now. :eek:

I think it's unfair from the get-go if they didn't already move the Charlotte Bobcats out... aren't they an NBA team, last I checked? Just leave the state in whole, NBA.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the one-child policy was no big deal to the NBA

but single sex bathrooms are unacceptable

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

good job, nba. :)

16. sew

sew Member

Actually, the law prevents towns from passing laws to protect LGBT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Facilities_Privacy_&_Security_Act

1 person likes this.
  17. sew

sew Member

So, yeah.. it's not just the bathrooms.

18. LeoUnot

LeoUnot Member

I'm Chinese and you're a bigot.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I admit to not knowing the Charlotte laws that passed

But if it was about telling people to use the bathroom listed on their birth certificate, well, um - fair enough?

In our country (Aus) the LGBT lobby group plays the victim (despite having equal rights in all areas), and use it as a means of slandering anyone who might not share their worldview, and bullying them into folding. (please note I said the lobby group, which in no way includes every individual who sees themselves part of that larger community)

If that is the kind of thing Charlotte is taking a stand against, props to them.
    If they are discriminating based on preferences, SHAME.

As for the NBA - many standards. To me it sounds like they caved to a lobby group bullying them to make one issue the greatest over all others.

20. juanm34

juanm34 Member