1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Convention lol !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2016.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I was waiting for "Well, Jesse Pinkman said "My word is my bond" in Breaking Bad, so there!!"

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So, for some weird reason, I watched CNN for like 3 hrs last night. I expected the speeches to be far worse than they were. I thought Mellania came across as classy, disregarding the plagiarism drama. I thought Rudy gave a good "red meet crowd pleaser" speech. Perry looked good for his short speech introducing Marcus Latrell. Mike McCaul was meh, Tom Cotton was a little boring, but very polished and his story is impressive (Harvard law to Iraq/Afghanistan to Senate).

I don't think I've ever watched more than they keynote speeches at any convention, D or R. So I don't know what to compare them to. All I can say is I thought they would have been worse.

1 person likes this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/na8HBMOiXM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"**** you! My word is my mother****ing bond!"

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

What did you expect, them to fart and burp during their speeches?

A summary of what when on yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Does it get worse than that? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That is possible.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

'But... but... OBAMA IS DIVISIVE! All I got is vague platitudes but GOSH DARNIT IS HE DIVISIVE!'.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Melania's speech is OK. It doesn't have any specific anecdotes, though. So it just sounded like fluff.

A lot of the other speakers seem to be trying to frighten people into voting for Trump. Talking in end of time terms like "There will be no next election!!!"

The logistics seems screwed up. People emptied out after Melania. Flynn and Ernst had to talk to a departing audience. Ernst was bumped off network coverage too.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, they wouldn't. Repeating common knowledge is NOT plagiarism. Cliches are common knowledge. It is at best a grey area. The argument would be that she strung a set of common phrases together just like someone else.

The fools are anybody who isn't admitting that these are all very common phrases...but I've got to go Ron White on that one.

No, it is VERY COMMON CLICHES. As I demonstrated.

Are you honestly going to tell me that before Michelle's speech you never heard any of those phrases before? Seriously?

I pointed out that this reflects very poorly on the Trump campaign, and agreed with those pointing out that this wasn't vetted is indicative of the lack of organization of the campaign overall. What part of that is 'defending it' exactly?

All I did, and NO ONE HAS REFUTED, is point out that these are all very common phrases. Because THEY ARE. Both speeches were a litany of cliches on this. Not really worth the time spent discussing them, other than the indication they are of the lack of organization and polish of the Trump campaign in general. That so many here aren't recognizing this simple truth is reflective on them, not me.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

BigDog, drowning... drowning... drowned.

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

BigDog still doesn't understand what plagiarism is.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No. I am merely pointing out that these are all very common phrases, and that Michelle was hardly the first to use them herself. Why this is causing so much gnashing of teeth is beyond me...it is a simple truth.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe the campaign thought they would get some Democrats making fun of the speech, and then they could say, "Aha! Joke's on you! Michelle Obama said the exact same thing!"

Employing cliches is not plagiarism. Cliches are useful, even, because you can convey a lot of meaning with just a couple of words. Plagiarism is taking without attribution someone else's ideas and presenting them as your own, without synthesis or interpretation. If Michelle used a bunch of cliches and truisms, she at least synthesized several of them together to form a coherent argument that was larger than the sum of the cliches. Using the same words is a telltale sign, but the central concept of plagiarism is copying ideas. Look at the skeletons of the disputed passages, notice not only the repetition of ideas, but the order in which they are presented:

Melania // Michelle
    * My values came from parents // Values of both Michelle and Barack came from parents
    * Work hard for what you want in life // Work hard for what you want in life
    * Word is bond and keep your promises // Word is bond and do what you say you're going to do
    * Treat people with respect // Treat people with dignity and respect even if you don't know them
    * Parents lived these values //
    * Will teach her own child the same (presumably by example) // We live by these values and model them to our children
    * We all must teach the next generation // We all must teach the next generation
    * Achievements are limited only by your ambition and willingness to work // Achievements are limited only by your ambition and willingness to work

So, I see only slight distinctions.

1. Michelle include Barack in her comments, while Melania talked only of herself.

2. Melania reiterates that her parents lived by these values, whereas Michelle let the first mention stand alone.

Those are the only substantive differences in ideas I see in the two passages and they are both pretty minor. Even the order of work hard, keep your word, have respect was the same.

1 person likes this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So I didn't catch every speech, I skipped redneck randy and chachi and several others. Those I commented on are the ones I saw.

I don't see a problem with most of those things. This is a campaign event and campaign stump speeches and rhetoric is expected. Did I expect burps? No I expected a bunch of angry people spewing hate. I didn't think it came off that way.

Railing against illegal immigration, supporting cops who were acquitted (he also said those bad cops should absolutely be punished). What a congressman says on tv is irrelevant to the discussion of the speeches. Chanting for Hillary to go to prison isn't outrageous either. Half of those things aren't even eye brow raising. I'm on my phone now and am sick of scrolling down for the image because it doesn't show on reply.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly believe posters would care less or debate you less on the matter if you weren't so hell bent at trying to skew this as something other than plagiarizing. In the grand scheme of thinks is a trophy wife(that is what she is for all intents and purposes) plagiarizing a big deal? Nope. Not at all. She probably had no say in the plagiarism anyways.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You are correct, Sir!

17. yo

yo Contributing Member

I would ask you to watch it all again, but I think you have better things to do with your time. Yes, there were plenty of angry people spewing hate and lies. Yes, calling for Hillary to be jailed is inappropriate, especially after a year long investigation concluded she should not be charged.

I find it hilarious that you're comforted that only "half of those things" aren't eyebrow raising. Like, what about the the other half? Or is this *****storm of ignorance expected and you don't raise an eyebrow to those either?

18. yo

yo Contributing Member

It's not even that he's trying to skew it. He clearly doesn't understand what plagiarism is and we're trying to spell it out for him.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't find it inappropriate considering people on both sides of the aisle thought what she did was illegal and anyone would have been in jail. It's a republican event chanting about an act that was at the least incredibly negligent by the opposition...I'm just not sure you knew what you were watching. Did you expect them to tell grand stories of how great Hillary is? Haha

And it wasn't so much that half weren't eye brow raising so much as I was too lazy and annoyed trying to scroll back and forth on my phone. Many of those listed seemed to be about comments made by people or acts done off stage on the commentary part. Like I said, I was giving my take on the speeches that I saw.

I didn't see the duck guy or the threes company guy -- who was the child star? Did I miss Honey BoO Boo?!? I bet she'd vote for Trump.