1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-37] Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Chinanu Onuaku?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I disagree that the second round is a crapshoot. It is hit and miss but the choices were obvious this draft.

McCaw has 19 points already today, he's been fantastic in the summer league. He is exactly the type of player we SHOULD have drafted. He can do a bit of everything. If he is a bust, he's a bust.

But how many undersized big men has Morey drafted now? And how many have actually been good? I mean come on seriously.

He didn't go with the best available this year and he didn't draft to team need either, Basketballholic is correct. The pick makes zero sense and it's looking like a bad one too.

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Can I change my vote? This guy is not going to work out...

3. Sanity2disChaos

I mean many believe Morey shines in the 2nd round.Sooooo ,we will see. You must give him time.

But yes, there were better choices.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hit and miss is a crap shoot...

I remember Luke Harangody was a beast in the Dleague, again how well one plays in the Dleague has little meaning.

How is he undersized? Onuaku is huge. 6'10 250 isn't undersized.

Morey has been fairly sucsessfull with his 2nd round picks and his undrafted signings - (Parsons, Budinger, Landry, Covington, Canaan, G.Smith, Black). Then we have Llull/Gentile's rights, and Harrell whom all may or may not pan out.

How do you know he didn't go with what he believes was the best avaliable pick? That's pure speculation. And again saying he looks like a bad pick right now is ridiculous.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I get excite about good performances in SL games.

And then I remind myself.

Dante' Greene.

6. Chamillionaire

I'll give him at least a year in RGV before I say anything about this 19 year old kid. Same goes for the Chinese kid as well.

7. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Speaking of Zhou, I'm really looking forward to seeing how well he develops in the next couple of years. 7'2" with a 7'7" wingspan can be useful if he can bulk up

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Wow, I didn't think he looked that bad. What were you guys expecting? Hakeem?

9. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

Look, the people who are saying the mature and logical things about giving him time to develop are exactly right. But rockets fans have the right to nit pick after this past season. Watching McCaw ball out in summer league should frustrate you as a fan . We been needing youth and athleticism at the wings and morey taking a extremely raw big who hasn't looked good in summer league is questionable. I'll give the kid time but I agree with bholic here his potential is probably nothing more than a back up big.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He's undersized for a Center imo.

11. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Exactly. Someone who gets it.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Just curious, if all of those players you mentioned turn out to be typical 2nd round picks and don't contribute significantly or even make an NBA roster, will you post that your player evaluation skills are a joke?

13. PeppermintCandy

Well, Capela looked to be the second coming of Hasheem Thabeet at first, so you never know. Most bigs take time to develop.

14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

It's highly likely that half of those guys don't have great careers, but that's not what my point was. Clearly it went over your head.

The persons player evaluation you should be questioning is Morey's.

15. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Your point is going over my head as well, are they going to have nice careers or are they not going to pan out?

1 person likes this.
  16. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I over embellished in my frustration.

So: no. I doubt all of those guys will carve out nice NBA careers. But they were selections that fitted a need on the team and addressed areas this team needs. We didn't need to draft another big let alone two.

For the record, I will happily admit I was wrong if he turns into something, but everytime McCaw, Jackson or any other player that made sense to select balls out I will cringe inside. I know I won't be the only one.

This was a pick that made no logical sense and didn't address team need.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Over 40% of CF respondents weren't impressed with the pick.

A factor in the greater expectations is Onuaku was described as a "first round talent". And people talked about Morey's past successes drafting gems in the second round. So expectations were set higher than your normal second round pick.

Honestly, I would have preferred other possibilities (some were already mentioned in this thread), but just as with Onuaku, they would also be shots in the dark too. But another factor was Morey's reported "easy to trade into the first round" that was spun just before the draft. While any first rounder would have also been a gamble, the chances would be better.

And right now, the Rockets talent level is lower than the teams already ahead of them in the playoffs, and even some who missed the playoffs. Worst... we are a relatively old team...

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly it's too early to judge and he should be given more time. That being said, I barely notice this guy on the court at all. He just doesn't make any type of impact on the game. At least last year you had Montrezzl hustling all over the place. This guy just isn't impactful at all and it isn't a great sign. But clearly we shall wait and see.

19. NewRoxFan

btw, Joel Bolomboy, a player I did like with a second round pick (and also mentioned by others in this thread), was 13/11 and 14/9 in his last two games.

Kay Felder, also mentioned in this thread, has impressed so far as well...

20. NewRoxFan

Maybe Morey meant the other Onuaku... ;-)