1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What strategy do you take to level or power up these creatures?

How do you know who you should level up and who you shouldnt?

Should you wait until you have an X number of pokemon before committing to leveling up?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1) Walk, find an area, park, Academy, etc where Pokemon type you are working on is. Collect a bunch. Evolve.
    2) I evolve when I can. Not very particular at this point at who I evolve. I wouldn't worry about powering up a Pokemon except before going to the gym. Power up guys you plan to use at gym. Early on you level so quickly, you'll often catch a higher CP Pokemon of the same type within a day or so.
    3) No

Granted, I'm not very competitive at this game, but these seem to be the answers for early game.

3. peterrkim

peterrkim Contributing Member

1. the best way, for me in houston, save your lucky eggs that you get during a level up. catch everything. i've used a bunch of pidgeys/ratatas to level up. currently at 16, almost 17. the lucky egg when activated doubles XP for everything. so when you use it, you'd want a good amount of pidgey's and other pokemon that are common/have low evolve candy usage (weedles, caterpies, etc). I use my lucky eggs in an area that has lures activated, that way you can catch alot and evolve and really rake in the XP. Once you use your lucky egg, you have 30 minutes to get double XP on everything. Usually during this time i'll evolve all the pokemon i have stored to get to this point. Also try to time using the lucky egg right before an egg hatches.

2. dont level up if you're under level 15. It's a waste really. I catch common pokemon with CP > 400 pretty commonly, the highest so far a pinsir at cp 900. Those are stronger than leveling up any pokemon that you're going to catch at lower levels.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, it's like watching telephone Zombies, it's truly unreal and kind of embarrassing to watch. I was at Memorial Park last night letting the Boxer run and there were literally like 100-200 phone zombies who all looked like this was their first time out of the house in months, and of course it was their first venture ever to a park. They pay zero attention to bike riders, runners, children or anyone in their vicinity.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really don't understand why people feel the need to stare at their phone while walking. When a Pokemon pops up, it make a very noticeable indicator noise. Every now and then you may have to look to make a course correction when you are hunting one, but otherwise I just hold the phone in my hand with a headphone in one ear and stroll.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You can get coins from gyms also. Walk, hatch eggs. Level up get lucky eggs. Get good dominate gyms, get coins. Some team instinct fool this morning took over at centennial gardens. I made short work of him using just my lapras and vaperon.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I watched a few videos where they said to basically not ever power up, and to save your stardust for much later in the game. As you're characters level increases, the pokemon you can catch increases. It seems like the main thing is to just keep catching and going to different poke stops. Using an incense and a Lure (or just going to a pokestop where someone else has used a lure) should increase your chances. If you're going to use an incense, I'd make sure to commit to using the full 30 minutes to catching pokemon.

If you get a lucky egg (i think you get one for free at level 9), use it when you're catching pokemon, evolving, and hatching eggs. You get double XP, which gets your trainer higher, which lets you catch better pokemon.

Then once you have strong pokemon, go to gyms, and profit.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at you people.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is the difference between powering up and evolving? If I power up a pokemon does it stay powered up once it evolves?

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Strategy of champions:

1. Collect as many low level Pokemon as you can that don't take many candy to evolve.
    2. Pop lucky egg.
    3. Evolve all your Pokemon at once and level up FAST.

11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

84/84

Woo unemployment!

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Powering up will raise your CP, but you need candy and stardust to do it. Seems expensive.

If you do power up, then yes you're new evolved pokemon will be stronger than if you evolved without powering up. If you're going to evolve
    (other than the strategy of evolving everything you can during lucky egg time), best to evolve your strongest pokemon of whatever type you're evolving (IE, don't evolve your weakest pidgey).

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They are playing a game and having fun without a care in the world. I don't need to drink beer while floating down a slow moving river, but I enjoy it. For me, I'm more concerned about people driving and playing. Probably some confirmation bias, but drivers around the Vintage in Cypress appear to have gotten much worse since the release.

Disclaimer: I become zombie-like for brief moments while walking when very close and during a catch, but I'm walking in areas that I know and stop if others are near.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

This all funny until a Pokémon gets onto the Oracle Arena floor and Curry stumbles over it and breaks a leg. Oh Wait, that is still funny!

15. MystikArkitect

Got home last night, sat down with the wife to eat dinner. Opened the game for kicks. Saw Snorlax silhouette 2 "steps" away and walked out the door saying only "brb".

Ran out of Poke Balls during the hunt and the fat slob got away.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So does the capture part get more difficult as you get to later levels? I'm at level 4 and while the first couple took me several throws to hit them, I don't think any of my captures since has required more than one pokeball to hit them and that's it. Do they break out of the balls at some point?

18. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like the more you level up, the harder it is to catch them, even the lower level pokemon. I'm level 17 now and there will be sub 100 CP pokemon that regularly break out and take multiple tries.

19. Dash

Dash Member

[​IMG]

wassuppppp