1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack-A-Whoever Strategy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yodels, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I hate this argument that changing the rule rewards bad FT shooters.

Bad FT shooters still have to face Fts for legitimate on-the-ball fouls. That has not changed with the new rulings. Are you telling me that a bad FT shooter will feel obliged to not work on their FT because of the new rules? Come on! Bad FT shooters still face the same issues with your regular fouls.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Silver with the bull****, reducing it by 45%, seriously?? This will not change anything, it's pretending to have the desire to get rid of it..any intentional fouling should lead to 2 FTs and possession of the ball or the team gets to pick their own shooter for 1 FT and possession of the ball. I loved it when we used it against Dwight in LA, when Greg Smith had 20 points and we won. However, last year against Detroit was just pathetic and as a coach I would be very reluctant to use it. It's sad and ruins the ending of the game..we still have Capela, but glad we have MDA who will end games with D-Mo / Anderson / Nene at the 5.

3. blunto

blunto Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9736675&postcount=12

One freethrow plus possession during the last two minutes is a compromise. Might be better to call it that way all game, but it looks like a step in the right direction.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26173297/10-things-like-including-chris-paul-swagger

9. Goodbye, Hack-a-Shaq

If we are going to needle refs for being against fun, we should also acknowledge that the league has eradicated Hack-a-Shaq. There have been only 33 intentional away-from-the-play fouls this season, putting the league on pace for about 45 such hacks -- down from 77 last season, 126 the year before, and an unwatchable 420 in 2015-16, per league figures released to ESPN.com.

After that season, the league extended the harsh late-game penalties for such fouls -- one free throw and the ball -- over the last two minutes of every quarter. Meanwhile, the league's two main Hack-a targets -- Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan -- have improved their free throw shooting to the point that the strategy no longer makes sense against them. Two other candidates -- Dwight Howard and Andre Roberson -- have been injured all or most of this season.

Lonzo Ball -- shooting a preposterous 41.7 percent on free throws -- is hurt, too. Downturns for D.J. Wilson (11-of-28), OG Anunoby (21-of-44) and Steven Adams (53 percent) are probably random. That leaves one guy to monitor: Hassan Whiteside, shooting 44 percent after hitting at least 60 percent in each of the past three seasons. If he stabilizes, we might be in the Hack-a-Shaq clear until Roberson returns.

Next up: banning the clotheslines and wrap-ups that abort fast breaks.

SamFisher and KingCheetah like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I just want to note that everybody who argued against changing the rules to kill the hack-a was brutally owned and is wrong.

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would fully endorse Hack-a-Draymond strategy.

Not with the intention of sending him to the line but simply to hack him all game.

Why?

Because.

SamFisher likes this.