1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 11, 2016.

1. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Gonna miss Duncan. Still remember when I was a kid, there was this Boys' Life issue featuring Duncan and Keith van Horn about finishing college before going pro. Always admired his quiet talent for winning and simply mastering the game. No showboating, no drama...just love for the game.

Gonna miss The Big Fundamental

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. caneks

caneks Rookie

Lebron needed to join Wade's team to win two of his three titles.
    Duncan shouldered his own team to win his 5 rings.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

I wasn't saying as opposed to Lebron. Obviously Lebron took over at some point. I was speaking in opposition to Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, Nash & them.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Well Kobe knew he was retiring. Duncan was unsure until KD decided to join GS.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's strange, as the legends I grew up with retire I realize that I'm getting old too. My desire to keep up with the new generation is fading. I can recognize how talented and amazing Karl Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis are, but I'll never revere them like I did Duncan and Garnett because I'll never grow up wanting to play like them. That phase of my life has passed.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At Wake Forest, Tim Duncan published a paper in a psychology journal. Look at the title. <a href="https://t.co/XwcsRN3H9T">https://t.co/XwcsRN3H9T</a> <a href="https://t.co/e1YIl8Nqec">pic.twitter.com/e1YIl8Nqec</a></p>&mdash; Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/752542912697761792">July 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I feel the same way a little. But I think it's also because the Rockets are stuck with no real hope of getting better or bad enough to get good draft picks. I feel like I'm wasting my time after 25 years of watching this team. And if I don't follow the rockets as close that carries over to me not watching the rest of the nba as much.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Greatest PF ever...Awesome career...boring person...LOL...

Enjoy retirement...:)

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Nice!

All-time favorite non-Rocket ever... no frills... just a pure winner.

10. BleedsRocketRed

Agreed. I recognize the talent and skill, but something just isn't there for me anymore. You watched these players and you wanted to be them, and they were like out of this world figures who constantly put you in awe. Now, I am a good 10+ years older than a lot of these guys so now there just isn't a emotional connection at all.

Once Dirk, KG, Pierce and VC (and to an extent Manu and TP Lebron and Wade) go its probably it as far as give a damn towards the NBA as a whole. Ill follow the Rockets religiously but outside of them Ill probably have no interest. I don't like the direction the NBA is headed plus the lack of connection to the players. I feel like an old man yelling at a cloud now.

I would say a little bit of this and that. At least we had a few flicks of light in the tunnel back with Yao/Mac. Otherwise aside from 2014-15 there hasn't been jack squat since 1998

11. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Kobe was the best Jordan impersonator, but not the best player. Duncan and LeBron are both clearly superior. KG was arguably better too, IMO.

12. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Olajuwon did not stick with one team throughout his career. :rolleyes:

13. BleedsRocketRed

That last year NEVER HAPPENED...

...I refuse to believe it.

14. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Kobe was a subject?

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

They don't make them like Tim Duncan any more. May his retirement be long and comfortable.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs got championships with him, not 'what ifs'

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dirk next? Kobe, Duncan... Garnett and Dirk are up next.

Too bad they had to play through their primes with the likes of Joey Crawford and Dick Bavetta calling their games.

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Multiple sauces informed me that Duncan only retired because he wanted to hunt Pokemon fulltime.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just came back from doing that.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Damn. All the great players I grew up watching are retired.