1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. ibm

ibm Member

cool,,, the rockets mediocrity now extended to 2020...

:mad::rolleyes::eek::(:eek:

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The only time a guy can leave you is when he gets close enough to make it happen. I think as these guys get closer and close to FA they become more enamored with it. I am pleased that James wanted to do this. Pleased that we did it as well. Obviously expensive but we have gotten a massive discount up to this point. Hopefully he continues his great play along with continued development with a focus on the defensive side of the ball.

3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

@bima how often has this happened In the NBA ????

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I will say this: I don't see this as a reflection of hardens loyalty to the Rockets. The rockets offered him a deal that reflected their commitment to him and harden did what any player that isn't certain they are leaving would do. He signed the deal for more money and as a result is even more committed to the organization. This was mutually beneficial and ensures greater commitment of all parties.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

Didn't rockets already bet on him showed their loyalty by signing him to the max when team he was drafted by and balled out for didn't want to ? Even when he wasn't a starter ?

2 sides to every story, but hopefully he balls out and starts playing both sides of the ball this year

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would not be shocked
    People have NO IDEA how good this signing is

Rocket River

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And that's the point. Harden would have done the same as Curry in order to get Durant, but Durant didn't want to come here...so what was the point of all that capspace. Might as well give it to Harden as a a STATEMENT to him, to MDA and to the league that Harden is here to stay...get used to it...and come help him build something.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

boy, that Les is such a cheapskate. Don't want to spend money.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Interesting notion and very plausible.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree. When $9million gets you Dellavadova. I'd rather keep my top player happy and build from there.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I got nothing to add
    Just quoting so you can SAY THIS AGAIN

Rocket River
    Too long to be added to my signature

12. pippsux

pippsux Member

Good

Smart decision

13. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Contrary to the conventional wisdom around here, knowing that Harden is signed for a few more years makes us MORE attractive for free agents.

That said, this extension explains why we passed on cheap free agents this year like Seth Curry.

14. Chamillionaire

I really think we spent our money really well this off-season. Thumbs up for all the pickups. Morey doing his thing again.

15. MD_in_Training

This is huge. Easily second best move Morey has made during his tenure besides trading for Harden in the first place.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Contracts are renegotiated more than you might think. Ty Lawson did one last year as requirement for us to trade for him. He removed a year of compensation protection. Howard renegotiated with ORL to remove his ETO. Paul renegotiated to remove a PO. As I recall, Shaq got more years and money, once.

Contracts CANNOT be renegotiated downward in salary.

I guess you mean how often do players successfully renegotiate for substantially more money.

Well, in that case, understand there are very few opportunities to do that. Generally, only franchise players can favorably renegotiate, and since they are already at a Max with 7.5% increases, they can't get more money. However, in Harden's case, the Cap just jumped 35%, so he was able to get significantly more money. But this is a rare scenario where the Cap/Max increases out-performs standard contract 7.5% raises significantly.

Also, you can't do this until the 3rd yr of a 4+ length contract and you can only pay for salary increases with cap space. So those two requirements eliminates many players from the equation. And, it's not necessary to do this in the 3rd yr of a rookie-scale contract, because you have other ways to lock up players at max.

#396 heypartner, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am cool with Harden being the franchise player.
    I'm not crazy about the ball being in his hand all the time.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. Such great news. Had know idea he was up for an extension.

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

maybe he's ok with being a fringe playoff team as long as he makes a ton of money, a la last year.

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How pisssed is Steph Curry that he can't get a renegotiation