1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Timofey Mozgov to the Lakers on four-year, $64M deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jun 30, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

McIlvaine's paved the way for Cato, for sure. :(

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Lakers on day #1 signing the most coveted big man in the market...Mozgov!!!

LOL

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Luke Walton should resign immediately.

It's ubderstandabke if the Lakers are ready to win and you need to overreaxh for that 4th piece, but by the time Russel and Ingram are ready, Mozgov will be even more lumbering than he is right now.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not shocked at all. Scrubs were getting 8 figure contracts before the cap jumped up already. Too many teams have cap space now, there will be some teams with max space that literally can't sign any decent player. It's a great time to be a free agent.

Mozgov isn't a terrible player, he had an injury plagued season. He was quite good for Cleveland the year before. But even if he can't bounce back, his contract doesn't hamstring the Lakers that badly anymore.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I think some team will randomly pay me $200k/yr by mistake due to payroll error and not give a ****. I'm sending out my resume right now.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Didn't the Cavs turn into a championship team when they stopped playing Mozgov?

What a reward for flat-lining and being benched.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This reminds me of the time the Lakers deployed the Chris Mihm project.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Al Jefferson get a pretty fair $10 mil, while Mozgov gets paid $16 lol disgusting

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm assuming Romana Shelburne has been tweeting about how great of a signing this is? How Mozgov is mature, smart, and appreciates the legacy and tradition of the Lakers?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Jim Buss should resign immediately.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

And then re-sign as a player.... Wtf are with some of these contracts???? I mean I know the new TV deal is nice... But just because there's more money doesn't mean you sign crazy contracts... Lol, this either shows the league will be broken soon or.... They really were ripping these guys off.

12. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

I think everyone is just overreacting. Yes, he had a terrible year this season but his play in past seasons have shown that he fits what the Lakers are looking for. A big man that is focused on rebounding and rim protection. Those kinda big men don't come around a lot and there weren't many in this offseason either. Sure he might have got paid more than he deserved, but when the Whitesides, Howards, etc aren't coming to play for you, are you really going to just sit around and do nothing?

13. hvic

hvic Member

Lakers signing another mediocre center

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's more than i thought he would get, but it's really a matter of if you think mozgov's knee will heal and he'll look like the previous year or if he's done and going to stay like this year. or if you think big men are now obsolete due to the warriors.

previous year mozgov did basically everything you want a big man to do - protect the rim, block shots, soft hands, great finisher, hit ft's - except guard the warriors death lineup. this year's mozgov wasn't terrible but he couldn't finish any more and his mobility clearly wasn't what it was. if he plays like the previous year, he's probably actually worth this contract, maybe even worth more than his contract. and really worth it considering the usual big man premium.

but if he's stuck where he is then he's not going to be worth it but probably won't be terrible.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Corey Brewer made Mozgov obsolete

17. BackdoorHarden

MOzgov, Deng, Brewer... damn...they are collecting a huge pile of SEWER in LA.

You would have to give up 10 1st round picks to get rid of those 3.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Theyll backdoor you.